Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has been to Rick Welch's School?

and would you recommend it?

What do you think you got out of it that helped you?

Thanks, Dusty

Interested also. They have said good things about his school on Trad Gang.

Comment

I have been listening and watch him where I could sneak it in, He is a very interesting cat. Are you thinking of going to one of his schools? I would be game, and maybe we can get enough people together to have him come here or get a better rate for going there.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway View Post
        I have been listening and watch him where I could sneak it in, He is a very interesting cat. Are you thinking of going to one of his schools? I would be game, and maybe we can get enough people together to have him come here or get a better rate for going there.
        I just did what reading I could and also just watched his video re: his school. From what I can tell, his program is best adapted for one-on-one. I'm questioning from that if it would even be appropriate for Martha and I to attend it together.

Comment

Dusty, I think Dano may have attended it, but I could be wrong, It wouldn't
          be the first time.

I believe he is Gandgolf on TBH.
          Last edited by garfish; 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
            I just did what reading I could and also just watched his video re: his school. From what I can tell, his program is best adapted for one-on-one. I'm questioning from that if it would even be appropriate for Martha and I to attend it together.
            Mr. H, I read one one of the links to his information that he prefers one on one instruction but that he does and is willing to work with more than one archer at a time. Let me dig around and see what I did with that info. Either way I am still game. Thanks for this great brainstorming thread.

I am with you though, I would like to hear from someone we are familiar with about how their experience was with Mr Welch.

Comment

i wouldnt mind going through the 3 day course. Saw his website and it looks like a low stress course. I am definitely in.

Comment

Originally posted by garfish View Post
                Dusty, I think Dano may have attended it, but I could be wrong, It wouldn't
                be the first time.

I believe he is Gandgolf on TBH.
                Thanks Jack,

I'll ask Dano about it next time I see him. He has done something to improve quite a bit in the last year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                  Thanks Jack,

I'll ask Dano about it next time I see him. He has done something to improve quite a bit in the last year or so.
                  I talked with Dano last year at the McAlester and yes he went to the Rick's school and had good things to say about it. Think Jeff Fleming also went you might ask him as well.

Comment

PM Indian Creek. He has been to Rick's school.

Oops, sorry, I typed this on the computer at the shop.

Bisch

Comment

Dusty:

I have been and I thought it was excellent. I only attended one day because I was short on time but found the course to be well worth the time and expense of traveling up there. He starts by videoing your shooting and then helping you analyze your form. He then gives you some sugggestions and basically coaches you through the 3d course target by target making sure that you follow each step of a pretty simple system and giving you immediate feedback. His approach is three finger under, thumb knuckle on earlobe, feather on nose with a 2 or 3 second hold to give your bow arm a chance to stop moving. He is a very good teacher and is a fun guy to shoot with. I think you will leave his course with alot of confidence. I suggest that you go to tradgang in the shooting form link and do a search for welch shooting school. There is alot of feedback. Please feel free to call me if you want to talk about it. I think his video's are excellent as well. Paul 713-208-3423

BTW, I think I have seen videos of couples going through the school together.....I do not believe that would be a problem
                      Last edited by paulvrana; 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulvrana View Post
                        Dusty:

I have been and I thought it was excellent. I only attended one day because I was short on time but found the course to be well worth the time and expense of traveling up there. He starts by videoing your shooting and then helping you analyze your form. He then gives you some sugggestions and basically coaches you through the 3d course target by target making sure that you follow each step of a pretty simple system and giving you immediate feedback. His approach is three finger under, thumb knuckle on earlobe, feather on nose with a 2 or 3 second hold to give your bow arm a chance to stop moving. He is a very good teacher and is a fun guy to shoot with. I think you will leave his course with alot of confidence. I suggest that you go to tradgang in the shooting form link and do a search for welch shooting school. There is alot of feedback. Please feel free to call me if you want to talk about it. I think his video's are excellent as well. Paul 713-208-3423
                        Paul, does he insist on three under, or will he coach split finger as well?

Comment

Martha: I have heard that he will coach split finger ......honestly, as good as Rick's school is for three fingers under shooters, I can't say how effective it is for split finger shooters. It may work great....I just do not know. I have no doubt that you would get some good tips. However, for me, the benefit was having a repeatable system and process so when I am not shooting well, I can go back and start over and figure out what I am doing wrong. A part of the program for me is getting the feather on the nose because it helps make sure you have the same sight picture each time and that your bow is drawn the same length each time. I am not sure you can get the feather to touch your nose with split finger.

Comment

Originally posted by paulvrana View Post
                            Martha: I have heard that he will coach split finger ......honestly, as good as Rick's school is for three fingers under shooters, I can't say how effective it is for split finger shooters. It may work great....I just do not know. I have no doubt that you would get some good tips. However, for me, the benefit was having a repeatable system and process so when I am not shooting well, I can go back and start over and figure out what I am doing wrong. A part of the program for me is getting the feather on the nose because it helps make sure you have the same sight picture each time and that your bow is drawn the same length each time. I am not sure you can get the feather to touch your nose with split finger.
                            Yes, the more I think about it, the more sense it would be to simply learn a new method altogether....particularly if it has been proven to work (and it apparently DOES work...). You are a great shooter, and Jeff Fleming is as well...and I remember when he was good but not as VERY good as he is now, so I must assume he gained valuable techniques after attending Rick's school.
                            Also, it occurs to me that many other folks I know to be great shooters shoot 3 under...hmmmm...
                            Sure appreciate your input, Paul, as well as everyone else's. I didn't even know Dusty had posted this query and found it during a work break. I had asked him some months ago if this was something he'd ever entertain we do. And he knows how very discouraged I am right now about my inconsistency (I can shoot 15 8's and 10's, maybe one 5, then start shooting 5's and drops, and it kills me.)

I wonder how he handles left eye dominant, right handed shooters...hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by zaggzig View Post
                              I talked with Dano last year at the McAlester and yes he went to the Rick's school and had good things to say about it. Think Jeff Fleming also went you might ask him as well.
                              Thanks Kenny,

I wasn't sure if Jeff had gone to Rick's school, but I know something really upped his (and Rachel's) game a couple of years ago.

Thanks Paul for sharing your experience. He says on his video that he teaches three-under, but will work with split-finger as well. I've never even tried it, but I think it would be very difficult for me to change to three-under after so many years. I did go through several one-step-forward-and two-steps-back episodes though when teaching myself to shoot instinctively via books a few years back.

Comment

Working...
                              X