No announcement yet.

Hotter'n Hell VII semi-live thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone asked for pictures of an orange tag?

Comment

Here's some of the rams we shot this weekend.

I didn't take a single picture.
      I'll have to wait for the others to post theirs up.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
        Someone asked for pictures of an orange tag?

Haha, nice trophy! Wish I could have joined in on this one. Looks like yall had a blast. I always enjoy hunting out there.

Comment

Awesome pics

Comment

Comment

Good looking rams

Comment

nice congrats to all!

Comment

I must apologize, for my lack of coverage, but did y'all really think it'd happen this year?

You get out there, with no service, start having a good time and all thoughts you had of updating this thread (and having to hike up the hill to Thompson's house to do so) just get lost in the wind.

This weekend was outstanding! The weather was pleasant. The company was great. The food was delicious. The rams were abundant.

For the first time, since the inception, of this hunt, I hiked around the mountain pasture in search of a ram. Of course, by first impulse was another 4 horn ... he had 3, in the pasture. One was a small Corsican looking ram that had both sides growing in pairs. He didn't do much for me. I spotted another one that looked to have 3 horns, but the single side was actually 2 horns growing together. Turns out there was another that had symmetrical tops and bottoms, but I didn't see him till the other was dead, and symmetry doesn't do much for me anyway.

A small group of us set off up the mountain to just check things out. I'd decided to make things happen with my recurve (that was once in the hands of Alan DeCroo), in a war bonnet, a faux indian costume, with the back quiver that Atombomb made for me a few years ago. To be eligible for the best hunting attire award, I needed to kill my ram, in the attire.

We located the main group of rams, and were able to take our time to look at them, in the top corner of the mountain pasture. Clent told me to take the first shot, after I decided I liked the 4 horn. I got into a position that would have the rams walk in front of me from right to left, along the top fence line, if the other guys could get them moving correctly. There were enough flankers, and the drive worked. In two short minutes, the rams were walking less than 15 yards in front of me. I waited for the 4 horn to clear the cedars before I drew and before I knew it autopilot had kicked in and the arrow was on its way.

After not shooting my recurve for at least two years, I was rather impressed when I drilled his left shoulder. He made it about 20 yards before he piled up.

Jackie has all the pictures, as I mentioned I didn't take a single picture while we were there. I'm at her mercy to post them up.

After we got back from the river, Saturday afternoon, I decided that I'd shoot another ram with my 45-70. A Texas ibex was the target this go round. This was my fifth trip, up the mountain, in two days. More times than I'd gone up there in the last 6 years combined! We located the ram, but it took me a while to get in position for a clean shot. The first two shots clicked. Clent reminded me that I needed to take the gun OFF safety! The third time I pulled the trigger it looked like you had a rope tied to each leg, and 4 horses running in opposite directions tied to those ropes. He hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. No tracking required!

Clent won the no-tag trad ram challenge, but didn't make me wear the loin cloth since I didn't shoot a qualifying ram.

We've already got more ideas brewing for next year!

Comment

Kevin, what were the largest rams seen/taken this weekend?

Comment

Great job Kevin! All me and Daniella could talk about all weekend was wishing were there.

Comment

Clent shot a 42" Rambo. Thompson said it's the biggest that he can remember ever being shot at Rocky Top.

My 4 horn scored 8" over gold.

There were several great Corsicans taken as well as a "red sheep type".

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                          Great job Kevin! All me and Daniella could talk about all weekend was wishing were there.
                          I missed y'all.

Well, Daniella more than you, but you knew that.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Texantax is another to add to the list of TBHers that have WAAAAAAAAY outkicked his coverage. He and his wife, Deann (sp?) were a pleasure to have in camp and fit so well with our group.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhunter77 View Post
                            This one was tuff to top. Talk about get into the spirit!

Comment

42" No Tag??????? WOW

Comment

Originally posted by Killem all View Post
                                42" No Tag??????? WOW
                                Oh, no, Shane. It had a PURPLE tag ... POR.

Comment

Working...
                                X