After market barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After market barrel

Where is the best place to get one for a Remington 700?

you will likely need to buy a barrel blank, and then have a GS fit, chamber, and crown

there are 12-15 barrel manufacturers to choose from

blanks run $250 to $800 , and chamber job will run $250 to $500 depending on GS

Comment

Depending on profile and caliber, coreshooting usually has Bartlein, Hawk-Hill or Proof in stock, .30, 6mm and 6.5. You could also check bugholes and the various barrel maker sites for barrels ready to ship. Otherwise pick the barrel maker of your choice, order exactly what you want and wait.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
        Depending on profile and caliber, coreshooting usually has Bartlein, Hawk-Hill or Proof in stock, .30, 6mm and 6.5. You could also check bugholes and the various barrel maker sites for barrels ready to ship. Otherwise pick the barrel maker of your choice, order exactly what you want and wait.

Blake already covered that you will need a smith to do the work. I am sure he can point you in the right direction for that as well. I assumed you knew this is not like swapping out an AR barrel. You know what they say...

Comment

Yeah I know it's not like swapping barrels on an AR. I know I'm not gonna try any bubba smithing. I have a Remington 700 ADL 25-06. I want to fix her up a little. New stock, pillars and glass bedded, new trigger and new barrel. Basically just plan on using the action and bolt. Can anyone explain to me some other stuff I may want to have done during this process? Like having the action trued and the bolt timed? I am new to this, I have always just shot factory rifles. Any smith recommendations would be appreciated also. I live in ponder and would like to use a smith somewhat close to home.

Comment

You're close enough to apr. See what they have in stock and if it meets your goals/expections based on mfg history

I know cb is a big pac nor fan too. For the money they're probably heard to beat. Budget and expectation are critical
            Last edited by TexMax; 12-13-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Null90 View Post
              Yeah I know it's not like swapping barrels on an AR. I know I'm not gonna try any bubba smithing. I have a Remington 700 ADL 25-06. I want to fix her up a little. New stock, pillars and glass bedded, new trigger and new barrel. Basically just plan on using the action and bolt. Can anyone explain to me some other stuff I may want to have done during this process? Like having the action trued and the bolt timed? I am new to this, I have always just shot factory rifles. Any smith recommendations would be appreciated also. I live in ponder and would like to use a smith somewhat close to home.
              Buy a barrel here:

Take it to these guys (right next door to you):

Have S&S chamber and fit the barrel & square to your action. I'd start with that along with a new trigger and bed job and I bet you will be good to go.

I had S&S do exactly this^^^to an old 30-06 that I turned into a 280ai. They do great work.

Comment

Another vote for S&S precision

Comment

APR

You will not be disappointed!

Comment

S&S and APR are good and you can add Liveoak Accuraacy as another good builder in the area, Scott is in Wylie and usually has barrels in stock that will work for your build. I went with an Obermeyer he had for my last build.

As to which barrel maker is better I really don't think you can go wrong with Obermeyer, Brux or Bartlein for a cut rifled barrel and hart or Lilja for button rifled barrels. But that is just me, cannot say if any is really better than the other really with the small sample of their products I have. The smith you choose can help guide there as some have a preference for one barrel maker over another.

Comment

Originally posted by Null90 View Post
                      Where is the best place to get one for a Remington 700?
                      Hart barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post

Take it to these guys (right next door to you):

Have S&S chamber and fit the barrel & square to your action. I'd start with that along with a new trigger and bed job and I bet you will be good to go.

I had S&S do exactly this^^^to an old 30-06 that I turned into a 280ai. They do great work.
                        Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
                        Another vote for S&S precision

I agree S&S does phenomenal work; however they need to update their website. It's my understanding Stick retired last year and sold the business to a former employee. Perhaps same company name, but there is new ownership since Stick has left the building. Maybe he's still there working as a business consultant - IDK. I've known Stick for 25 yrs as he built several rifles for me when he worked with Speedy at SG&Y located at Area 51.

OP, definitely call around to speak with 5-6 different GS's about your project. Don't limit yourself to just 1 GS. Inquire about their reamers and specs, previous builds, lead time, prices, advise if you hand load or plan to shoot factory ammo, if hand loading advise GS about the brass and bullets you plan to use, will you be sizing brass and neck turning, etc... Decide on who you feel most comfortable with and trust building your dream rifle.

Do it right the first time and never look back. Keep asking questions and be a sponge. Lots of great GS's to choose from these days including the site sponsor (APR) and other names mentioned. If you need any help or feel lost, PM me and I'll walk you through the process. I do free consulting on builds since it's part of my addiction along with decades of real world experience.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info and help. It's awesome to have this place to come and ask questions. Y'all are a big help!

Comment

Working...
                          X