Lablab, Iron or Clay Peas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lablab, Iron or Clay Peas?

Which one would you choose to plant? I will be grain drilling it into my winter plots.

Soil analysis aside, given the option, and if I had the equipment, Lablab. After some online research it appeared to be the more drought resistant product.

my 2 cents...

Comment

I and C peas, along with soybeans, have done well at my lease (East Texas). Haven’t tried lab lab because of the cost of it, but have been happy with the peas and soybeans so I haven’t had much incentive to experiment

Comment

They are all good but I prefer lab lab if you have enough moisture. Out here in West Texas we don’t seem to have enough moisture for any of them.

Comment

Yeah they are real expensive.....5-6 years ago I disked a 1 acre section of our hay field and threw lablab down. WHere it came up the deer ate it to the stalk. But it was very sporadic.

I would grain drill it this time 3/4-1 inch deep. I may just go I/C peas and/or soybeans to be a little cheaper

Comment

I've planted them side by side in Mexico and La. Now I only plant cowpeas [ or soy beans ] Cowpeas did better in both locations, were less expensive and I saw no difference in preference.

That said I visited Tecomate once and was amazed that they could grow lab lab in a year with NO rain. What I saw was highly professional farmers with top flight equipment preparing all year for the spring crop. " Maybe" lab lab is slightly more drought resistant IF you are sophisticated enough to take advantage of it. I'm not.

Comment

I have planted cowpeas and Lablab. The lablab grew faster and larger plants and recovered quicker. The deer hit the cowpeas when they reached 3-4" and the plants never recovered. Cowpeas are the cheaper option.

Comment

soybean

Comment

Can mix lab lab in with cow peas also

Comment

we had lab lab waist high and the deer wouldn't touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                      we had lab lab waist high and the deer wouldn't touch it.
                      That’s interesting. Where? I couldn’t ever get mine tall enough survive.

Big pig

Comment

Cowpeas are cheap enough and will hold up purty good, they last till the end of October if we get a rain now and then

Comment

Like them all but they don’t make it passed four leaves here mowed down by the deer so kind of a waste to plant for me, would have to have over 20 acres planted. That might not be even enough!

Comment

I know this does not answer your question directly, but at our farm in Iowa we have corn, beans, alfalfa, and triticale surrounding us on 4 sides. We are very fortunate to have full time farmers as our neighbors. We have some of the best timber in the area and a river that runs the length of our ground which keeps the deer on us. This summer we are going to plant a small plot (about 3 acres) of 75% turnips and 25% clover in the middle of our place. Corn, beans and something green.

Here is one of the bean fields that butts up to our south side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iowa bean field (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	24531120

Corn on our north and east fence line

Name:	Pat at Corn (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	24531121