Tankless hot water heater ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankless hot water heater ?

Is there any reason not to go with tankless ?

Nope love mine

Comment

Lots of variable. Power is a big one. Hard water?

Comment

I recommend just getting a tankless water heater. Getting the tankless "hot" water heater seems like a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          Is there any reason not to go with tankless ?
          Yes... if you don't have a need for one and/or aren't likely to do the increased maintenance they require. Also, they cost a LOT more and the install can be very expensive, particularly if you have to do gas plumbing or vent work (likely if you're changing from a conventional).
          Typically it's driven by high usage... the "endless supply" benefit. That's only a benefit if your conventional can't keep up... and for the money it better be very important to you because the premium you'll pay for install of a tankless and the heater itself is big. Efficiency wise there isn't a big benefit. Insulation has come a long way and modern conventional heaters are very efficient.
          I'm an engineer in the water business and am about to replace my conventional heater... with another conventional heater. No driver in our case for a tankless.
          Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            Yes... if you don't have a need for one and/or aren't likely to do the increased maintenance they require. Also, they cost a LOT more and the install can be very expensive, particularly if you have to do gas plumbing or vent work (likely if you're changing from a conventional).
            Typically it's driven by high usage... the "endless supply" benefit. That's only a benefit if your conventional can't keep up... and for the money it better be very important to you because the premium you'll pay for install of a tankless and the heater itself is big. Efficiency wise there isn't a big benefit. Insulation has come a long way and modern conventional heaters are very efficient.
            I'm an engineer in the water business and am about to replace my conventional heater... with another conventional heater. No driver in our case for a tankless.
            Propane is killing me, about $400.00 a month right now.
            I believe the hot water heater is the main culprit as it is 12 years old and every time I check it it is running.
            I figured the tank-less heater was a more efficient system but that is why I asked.

Comment

Love ours.

Comment

Locally, we have had quite a few pipes/connections break at the unit during the last cold spell. Those units were in attics.

What about use in a shop/outdoor kitchen and pool bathroom/shower? Would you still do conventional? I was thinking tankless due to sparse usage but maybe conventional is the way to go?

Comment

Buff - I had one for 7.5 years with very little maintenance. It was the only thing I had running off of propane and it cost me about $130 every 3- 3 1/2 months. That was with 3adults in the house.

The wife and I are now living with the in-laws while we build our new house and they have a conventional heater - very frustrating when 2 showers are running.

Comment

Try to locate it centrally in your house, otherwise you will be waiting a while for the hot water. But once it gets there it doesnt run out.

Comment

If you get one with the recirculating line and run it too hot with c3 it could be expensive to operate also. Depending on the temp you set it at. We have one and run C3 also due to living in a rural area.

Comment

I’ve done a lot of reading on these and to me the only downside is the initial cost. It’s not going to be really anymore maintenance than a conventional. If you have hard water you’ll need to flush it maybe once a year. If it is installed right there will be easy access to run cleaner through it.
                        Some advantages are the unlimited hot water, they take up much less space(can even be installed outside), use less propane.

I have a 12 year old water heater but our gas bill is less than $100 a month usually and that includes heater and fireplace.

Comment

The long term benefits out way the initial cost

Comment

If your water is already hot, why do you need a water heater? [emoji12]

Sorry couldn’t resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              Propane is killing me, about $400.00 a month right now.
                              I believe the hot water heater is the main culprit as it is 12 years old and every time I check it it is running.
                              I figured the tank-less heater was a more efficient system but that is why I asked.
                              $400 a month? Wow! I have a tankless heater and the propane bill is around $625 a year. It's just my wife and I but all appliances are propane including the dryer. I also have a 65,000 BTU shop heater that gets used a lot in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X