• Show
Clear All

How do I......

Store my recurve?
    String on, off?
    Standing, laying down?

I want it taken care of properly.
    Thanks

1) Most folks will leave their bows strung when they're not shooting them. A few exceptions do apply like selfbows, and some vintage bows) most will tell you that you are more likely to damage a bow (twist a limb) while stringing & unstringing hence the "leave it strung" mentality.

2) Never store your bow standing up on it's end (or strung in the back of a hot car). Outside of that you're really only limited to your imagination. Some folks store them in a rack vertically or horizontally, others keep them in a case, some lay them flat under the bed, pretty much whatever works best for your situation.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks. Right now it is standing on end unstrung. Let me go take care of that

Comment

I unstring my bows every time I am done shooting unless I am on a multi-day hunting trip. I have never twisted a limb but ALWAYS use a stringer on a recurve. As far as storing goes, you can lay them on a flat surface or hang them on a rack, either horizontal or vertical, depending on rack design.

Bisch

Comment

I like to strip mine down before I layem down. But that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            I unstring my bows every time I am done shooting unless I am on a multi-day hunting trip. I have never twisted a limb but ALWAYS use a stringer on a recurve. As far as storing goes, you can lay them on a flat surface or hang them on a rack, either horizontal or vertical, depending on rack design.

Bisch

X2

Comment

I never Unstring my recurves unless I'm traveling but they are made of modern materials. I never leave my longbow strung after shooting
              I hang my recurves by the string , horizontally. I hang longbows vertical by the string

Comment

If I am shooting it a few days a week I will leave it strung for the reasons Gene mentioned. If I'm not going to shoot for awhile I'll unstring it, why take the chance?

Comment

I seldom unstring any of my bows. If they are hung correctly, as Huntinpool mentioned, they can be strung indefinately. I have old #100 Sierra that has been strung since she was built back in 02. Only time unstrung is while changing string or leaving in hot vehicle. Has maintained all the weight. On recurves I guess it aint a bad idea to unstring them if they are not gonna be used for quite a while. Altho I don't. Recurve limbs are almost always twisted during the stringing and unstringing process. If properly stored (ie ..hanging from the string vertically) they wont twist or loose weight.

Comment

Working...
                  X