4H personal animal barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4H personal animal barn

Where I currently work, we have an additional 3 acres that came with an old shed/pool house. The boss who's also big in 4H granted me this space to raise our animals. A huge blessing as putting 5,000 miles on my truck every year just in normal commute to and from the school ag barn was a pain. We will be raising pigs again this year and the kids are really enjoying it. So, I'd thought I would take you along on this project.
    So this is what I'm working with:
    Attached Files

We are planning on having 4 pigs this year. 2 barrows and 2 gilts. So I needed to design the space to allow for 4 pens. I'm fairly confident we will not have more than that during my 3 kid's 4H career but I will be able to expand if necessary.
    I measured what we had used at the previous ag barn as a go-by size wise and finally decided on this design.
    Attached Files

Comment

Demo wasn't really a big undertaking but cleaning out what now will be the tack room and vegetation growing out of the covered porch area was needed. The covered porch has chipseal as a base which will be soon covered with concrete.

I did a take off on material and went to work.
      Attached Files

Comment

following....I am getting ready to do the very same thing.....just not 4 pigs. 1 or 2 at the most.

Comment

Continued progress and finishing point as of last night.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, following along.

Comment

Worked into the night with just enough light pouring from the floodlight off of our fab shop about 300’ away. Made for a pretty neat phot of the progress made. My main goal this evening was to finish up the last divider and setting the last king post. Tomorrow’s goal is to finish up the wall girts and potentially get started on the gate framing. Im thinking I may frame them out of angle iron for structural integrity yet cut down on weight.
              Items left to do:
              -Gates
              -Concrete
              -R-panel siding and roof
              -trench for electrical conduit
              -pull wire to supply power for pump house and lighting
              -plumb for water nipples
              -install lighting
              -sliding barn door
              -fencing for outdoor pig walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good on the progress. I got a lot of good ideas from my son's time in FFA. They're pig farm was gated all the way around with shoots spanning the length to walk them. Always wanted to build my own, just need to move out from the city.LOL

Comment

Yesterday’s progress report. I borrowed from our plumber his back hoe and dug the remaining 200’ trench for providing power to the pump house.
                  Today I hope to pull mule tape to get an exact distance to purchase. Boldly I’ll say that I could pull the cable, connect and cover by tonight.

Comment

Checking back in. Cool thread! Progressing right along...

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Very cool, coming along nicely!

Comment

Pulled the underground and got her covered up. I picked up Portland and premix to be ready to pour concrete. A few final updates and preparations need to be made and I’ll be ready to get the slab ready for the animals.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Today’s progress was to finalize the forming for the concrete and laying down a barrier and wwf. There was a spool of silt screen that came off one of our jobs and decided to use it for the concrete reinforcement and the fabric as my barrier.
                              I talked with our concrete guy and he’s going to meet me out there tomorrow morning to start pouring concrete. Premix and bag of Portland were picked up along with his gas powered mixer. Work to continue tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X