Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I refuse to eat feral hog...change my mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its like butter...but wilder.

For gameyness...blanche meat in water several days...pour off blood water. Mellows it out for the discerning tasters with a split tail.

Comment

Do you eat store bought chicken? Do you know what a free range chicken will eat? Do you know how nasty cage raised chickens are compared to free range? Do you eat store bought pork? Do you eat fast food? Do you eat in restaurants? Fast food usually has troglodyte turds working in it that may very well be taking dumps in your food, or spitting, not washing hands after bathroom breaks or cleaning, etc. You completely leave it to chance on your own accord. The same scenario applies for “fancy” restaurants. Modern beef processing is disgusting, but the vast majority of the population has no choice but to consume it. Unless you only eat what you harvest wild, and/or eat what you raise on your own, your eating something nasty at a minimum regular basis, for sure. Not eating wild pigs won’t save you from eating nasty. If you think that it will, you may have not looked into where your food comes from very closely. Enjoy what a burger? But hey, keep that frame of mind if it makes you feel better. If not... take the back straps and fry up some schnitzels!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
        I would rather eat wild hog meat , than whitetail deer, you are missing out.
        Same here.
        But especially my feral pigs in Leon Co.

Comment

I will kill em all day long but won’t touch or eat another feral hog.

I have had my fight with a spinal infection caused more than likely an infected hog (Brucellosis). A back surgery and 6 weeks of Vancomycin will make you bow shy!

I am not saying don’t do (because it’s very rare to contract it) but I can’t chance it again!

Comment

Wild Boar Fever! European restaurants crave it

Comment

This is new to me. I had no idea people wouldn’t eat them. Like said above, I think it’s better than deer. A lot harder to skin, but great meat. That said I will usually only process 1 maybe 2 a year just because I don’t want to mess with them.

Comment

Chickens are the nastiest animal on the planet!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
                  I would rather eat wild hog meat , than whitetail deer, you are missing out.
                  I love eating wild hog, but I wouldn't take it that far.

Comment

I am guessing the OP hasn't spent much time around a hog or poultry farm.

Comment

If you don't eat domestic pork, then I can understand exactly where you are coming from (You obviously lost your taste buds as a child or something). If you do, then wild hog is basically the cleaner, less fatty version. So, not sure the problem. Hope you don't eat fish, they eat feces too. Hope you done eat veggies, they are grown in manure. Clean, lean, protein. Now if you just don't want to mess with them, I can understand that...they are a pain to gut, skin, and process.

Comment

I use to eat them often until I realized what they ate. Anything. And they are canniballistic. And they tear up the land. If anyone wants them near Gonzales shoot me a P.M. I should have plenty to give away next couple of months.

Comment

I usually bring chicken fried deer and hog backstrap to work for my crew. In all the times I have brought it, there’s never been any hog backstrap left. It’s really good IMO.

Comment

Is your hesitation due to a perceived health concer or is it due to the taste of the meat??

Health concer: It's already been mentioned, chickens raised in a cage will scavenge their own given the opportunity... These chickens, predators and feral hogs are all safe to eat if cooked properly.

Comment

I will hog is no where as nasty as a feed lot hog.
                              Ever been to a chicken farm?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

We eat it all the time. I don't fine then hard to clean at all. I Hang them up, skin them down to the front shoulders, cut the back straps out. Then de-bone the hindquarters right on the carcass and throw the rest away. The backstraps, I leave all the fat on them and cut into one inch steaks. Also the only thing the size of hog maters to me is the smell of the hide. Once you skin it its all the same to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X