Euro mount ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro mount ???

I was doing some Euro's this weekend, a doe (my 1st bow kill) and a spike (a friend of mine's 1st bow kill) The spike was a button buck that they originally thought was a doe. Anyway I put both heads in the pot and simmer for about an hour. I then grab the heads, the doe first and scrape off as much meat as I can it took no longer than 5 min, after the doe I grab the button buck with the giant tongs I use to retrieve the heads and the skull just falls apart... I mean it just crumbles... I am embarrassed and feel terrible because I volunteered to do the Euro for them. I am by no means an expert (I have done 9 total in 2 years and learn something every time I do one) but I have never had a skull do this.

What would have caused this? The deer was so young the sutures were not fully closed? When cleaning the skull it felt solid, nothing that made me think that boiling the head would cause it to dissipate?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on how to handle a button buck skull in the future if I ever try it again

my guess would be that it was so young that the bones hadn't fused completely

Comment

That would be my guess, too. I don't know what you could do to prevent it in the future, except for maybe dermestid beetles.

Comment

Do not boil for longer than 30 minutes.

Comment

Gotta be careful with the youngsters. As already stated that's a big reason it came apart. Make sure you keep your skulls off the bottom of your pot. If you can put a screen in there a couple inches up that will help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by okietaxi View Post
            Do not boil for longer than 30 minutes.
            Thank you for the tip... is this for all heads or just the young ones?

Originally posted by TrevorE View Post
            Gotta be careful with the youngsters. As already stated that's a big reason it came apart. Make sure you keep your skulls off the bottom of your pot. If you can put a screen in there a couple inches up that will help as well.
            Great tip.. I never thought about that, I have only done Bucks up until these two and the horns usually keep it off the bottom, and I bet the doe sat on top of the button buck and help weaken the skull.. what type of screen would you recommend?

Comment

It suppose to be for all heads. Sometimes I boil for a little longer, but you always take the chance of them coming apart.

Comment

Thanks Okie.. I will back off the boiling .. i have noticed the ones that i have done start to separate up the bridge of the nose, I usually tie a string around the nose while they are still wet and by the time it is dry the nose plates are back together but still a gap is noticeable.

Comment

Boiling the skull is what caused it to become brittle and fall apart. You need to simmer and not boil. If you need any help PM and I will send you my number.

Comment

Beetles sound like the best way!

Comment

Beetles are the best. But I boil. Just can’t don it too long

Comment

It being young had something to do with it to I’m sure

Comment

Interesting. I am working on my first DIY now. Boil went ok, got meat off and just waiting to dry before continuing.

Comment

The beetles are the best way i know, i think they come out cleaner and whiter!

Comment

Working...
                            X