Rebarrel .243 to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebarrel .243 to ???

So, I've shot my .243 for years. I hand load and get great accuracy. This past week, I had several shots at Hogs ranging from 200 to 300 yards. They did not drop as quickly as I would have expected and I'm thinking I want a larger caliber.

At this point, it's between a 7 mm 08 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Ideally, I'm thinking a 140-150 gr bullets as I have a 300 Winmag that shoots lights out with 180 partitions.

I'm looking for opinions on which of those two calibers and what bullet to use for Whitetail, pronghorn, Hogs and the occasional big boar.

I will have the action trued and a nice heavy Sporter Barrel installed.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stay with 243 . Get 8 twist and shoot 105 s . Cant beat it I've taking several aoudad around the 600yrd mark and they drop in there tracks

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
      Stay with 243 . Get 8 twist and shoot 105 s . Cant beat it I've taking several aoudad around the 600yrd mark and they drop in there tracks

This gets my vote! My custom 243 that shot 105s was deadly. I wish I never sold it

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

7-08 gets my vote.

Comment

Comment

Can't go wrong with a 7mm08 or a creed but the creed does have better factory ammo choices if that's a concern.

I've become a big fan of the creed and really enjoy loading for and shooting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go with a 243 Ackley with 7.5 or 8 twist. 105gr+ bullets are awesome

I shoot a custom 6mm with an 8 twist barrel and 105gr Hornadys. Kills the heck outta hogs and deer

Comment

260 Ackley improved.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                  Go with a 243 Ackley with 7.5 or 8 twist. 105gr+ bullets are awesome

I shoot a custom 6mm with an 8 twist barrel and 105gr Hornadys. Kills the heck outta hogs and deer
                  x 1000 ... Build it as a single shot and seat the VLD’s long

Comment

Another vote for keeping it a 243 Win. I built this one for the sole purpose of shooting 115gr DTAC's. It's twisted 1:7.5 and will flat out shoot. It will also shoot the Hornady 105gr but sometimes they unravel in flight.

Last edited by sendit; 11-21-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Any way to do the 243 improved and it not be a single shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post

Yes but you will be limited to seating to mag length which will cost you some case capacity.

I personally love the AI but have no interest in a single shot.

Comment

6mm/.284.....

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post

If you going the repeater route, look real hard at the 6x47Lapua. You can seat bullets long (based on freebore) and still load from an AI type magazine. Great read below.

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/11/6x47-lapua/

Comment

Hogs get ear holed.

Keep the .243

Comment

Working...
                              X