Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "target" buck turned "over the hill buck" overnight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "target" buck turned "over the hill buck" overnight...

BONE THUG's "Ghost" thread made me remember a night in the chair last week looking at my shed box.

If I remember right it was the spring of 2016 that I walk up to the feeder and camera to find a great looking set of sheds laying right under the feeder. I get home and check the pics and sure enough I have the pic right before and right after he dropped them. I got pretty excited, the buck was in the magical "5ish" year old range and i couldn't wait till the next season. Well, as far as I know I never saw him again. I realize these pics would make this thread way better but I can't currently find them.

So last week I'm digging around in the shed box and pull out one of my favorites, which I found in either 2014 or 2015 and as I'm looking I figure out that it's very likely the same buck from the sheds under the feeder, and he was on his way down. The older shed scores in the mid 70s.

I have another massive one that also scores in the mid 70s that I found in 2014 that belongs to a buck I killed in 2015 that scored in the low 140s. We thought my buck was 6-7 but he was really closer to 9.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think you are on to something there...

Comment

History is a very cool thing and having sheds is a huge bonus on the educational side of it.
      It’s crazy what some bucks do each year.

You can really see the difference in that 6th pic on how much he lost.
      Cool thread. Thanks for posting it.

By the way....Thats a super cool buck.

Comment

I think you nailed it. I have wondered in the past how many of our mature deer that "disappear" from one year to the next we just don't recognize the following year.

Thanks for posting this! Oh, and I agree with Brandon...super cool buck.

Comment

awesome buck and I def think it could be the same buck

Comment

I think we should be hunting together!

You may not remember me but I hunted on the sisters property after you guys got off. I was there 2 years. I think it was good country but it just wasn’t the core area of the big bucks. There was no pattern to their movement and it would be weeks between sightings. Loved the property though.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
              I think we should be hunting together!

You may not remember me but I hunted on the sisters property after you guys got off. I was there 2 years. I think it was good country but it just wasn’t the core area of the big bucks. There was no pattern to their movement and it would be weeks between sightings. Loved the property though.
              yes sir, i agree, the place was beautiful but we just couldnt find the deer consistently either. last i heard i think they sold part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                yes sir, i agree, the place was beautiful but we just couldnt find the deer consistently either. last i heard i think they sold part of it.
                Yes the part that was the old house place up by the road. I think it was 40 acres.

Comment

Don’t see the last set of sheds being same buck.

Comment

All the pics are of the same shed. I thought pic 6 and 7 were pretty close, with the "wannabe" split on the smaller ones g2 and the way the g3's lean forward. Even the 4's lean off to the side and forward and the beams both wrap in and up...

The only real difference I can see is how the 2 on the bigger shed goes straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      All the pics are of the same shed. I thought pic 6 and 7 were pretty close, with the "wannabe" split on the smaller ones g2 and the way the g3's lean forward. Even the 4's lean off to the side and forward and the beams both wrap in and up...

The only real difference I can see is how the 2 on the bigger shed goes straight up.
                      Yeah I know they are the same... sept for the weird beam drop off side ones.

I don't see those two right sides coming from the same deer at all.

Tine shape is different. Beam shape is different. Tine cross section is different. Tine spacing is different...

It would be VERY shocking to have that be the same deer.

Comment

thats interesting.

Comment

Working...
                        X