Blind base question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind base question

I'm a scrub noobie when it comes to carpentry...and just got my first lease and plan on building my first box blind...

Ive been trolling through here and seems like everyone is using 2x6 or 2x8 for the base...I'm wondering if thats necessary???

Can the base be made out of 2x4? Or is it not worth what you save In weight???

I have a hard time asking for help so ill probably cart it out and put it up on my own...I'd like it to be as light as possible...

Thanks! (And, yes, I searched didn't find the answer)

2x4's will work just fine. I would suggest using pressure treated for the floor. Just my opinion..... You will get many more that will probably differ from what I said.

Comment

2x4's? I wouldn't do it. Its going to sag and if you are building it elevated. I really wouldn't recommend it. Emphasize on wouldn't.

2x4's is a white pine which is the softest of em all. 2x6 and up is a yellow pine. The hardest of em all. They're used to support weight in homes. So it is made for that way. Use it for that way if that makes sense.

Good luck on your new lease and on the build.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
        2x4's? I wouldn't do it. Its going to sag and if you are building it elevated. I really wouldn't recommend it. Emphasize on wouldn't.

2x4's is a white pine which is the softest of em all. 2x6 and up is a yellow pine. The hardest of em all. They're used to support weight in homes. So it is made for that way. Use it for that way if that makes sense.

Good luck on your new lease and on the build.
        Hmmm...that makes sense...I probably will lift it 4' or so...

Thx guys!

Comment

2x6's for sure

Comment

I made one many yrs ago using 2X4 on the base. It didn't go so well and I rebuilt the base the next yr using 2X6. Don't forget to use at least 1/2" plywood or it will be soft and not hold up either.

Comment

Originally posted by dadogg View Post
              I made one many yrs ago using 2X4 on the base. It didn't go so well and I rebuilt the base the next yr using 2X6. Don't forget to use at least 1/2" plywood or it will be soft and not hold up either.
              Yes. 1/4" sheet won't hold much weight. What I've got is a 3/4". But its on my property, built to last. So, 1/2" will suffice for you and on a lease. Good luck again!

Comment

2x4s (on 16" centers or less) will be more than enough if you are using 3/4" plywood (not OSB floor sheet).

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                  2x4s (on 16" centers or less) will be more than enough if you are using 3/4" plywood (not OSB floor sheet).
                  Why pay more for 2x4's for same cost as 2x6 yellow pine? Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X