No announcement yet.

Recurve String Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also get good serving material. I use Brownell Diamondback for the balance of grip and durability, but there are several good materials available.

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
      Also get good serving material. I use Brownell Diamondback for the balance of grip and durability, but there are several good materials available.
      Thanks for the tip. I picked up the cheap stuff to get started with. I think I have a spool of more quality stuff at the house that I bought a while back. I wasn't sure which serving material was best suited for using on these strings so I went with basic nylon to get him going. Can always reserve it with something better.

Comment

Rick - i think i gave you an incomplete email address yesterday. I sent you another PM. But my email is skylarkgs401@gmail.com i double checked it this time. If you could try sending your jig plans again i would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
          Rick - i think i gave you an incomplete email address yesterday. I sent you another PM. But my email is skylarkgs401@gmail.com i double checked it this time. If you could try sending your jig plans again i would appreciate it.
          Sent.

Comment

Awesome! Just saw it come through. Thanks Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
              Awesome! Just saw it come through. Thanks Rick.
              You're quite welcome Bro.

The only difference between those plans, and the jig I am using is - the length adjustment on my jig is on a sliding bar. That enables me to nail the lengths down to exactly what I want. I don't have any plans showing how I did that, but if you want to do it I have no doubt you can figure out a way.

Rick

Comment

Thats a cool idea. And shouldnt be difficult to pull off. Could do it by cutting a groove down the middle and using a shouldered bolt with a nut and washer or something. Cant be that hard. Lol. Famous last words.

So on the measurements. I see your board has actual string length. Is the rule of thumb on recurve to go roughly 4" short of the knock to knock measurement or the specified bow length?

Also, you mention pre stretching the strings. What have you found to be an easy and effective way to go about it?

Comment

I grooved the sides of my board, then built a metal C strap with a hooked edge on one side, and a thumb screw on the other. Has a metal post in the middle.

I just loosen the thumb screw, slide it to the measurement I want, and tighten the thumb screw back down.

My jig is marked for actual finished string lengths before stretching. I know how short I need to build them according to the material I am using. I have stretch factor formulas for each material, but at the risk of sounding stingy I'm not gonna share them right now. Sorry. I hope to be doing a tutorial DVD sometime soon. All that info will be there.

This is why I strongly suggested he learn to build strings from both the low stretch fast flight material, and the high stretch polyester/dacron material. It will get him well down the road in understanding the differences & how to compensate for them. There's differences even when going from one type fast flight to another.

Rick

Comment

Again, great info. I dont expect you to give away your trade secrets and all your knowledge. You have been extremely helpful. And we will definitely be keeping an eye out for that DVD. I also saw while searching the net that a couple years back you had some finger tabs you were making. Have only tried a couple cheap ones and they didnt feel right to me. Both my brother and I are shooting kangaroo gloves right now. But a good tab may be worth exploring. If you are still dabbling with those I can hit you up via email or PM. No need to fill this thread with that.

Comment

While we're on the subject, I just saw a first for me. It was a string for a selfbow with 3 strands, but the loops were braided rather than twisted the way they'd be for a "normal" Flemish twist string. Has anyone else used that technique? If so, how does it compare for loop strength and durability to the standard method of loop making? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Dog View Post
                        While we're on the subject, I just saw a first for me. It was a string for a selfbow with 3 strands, but the loops were braided rather than twisted the way they'd be for a "normal" Flemish twist string. Has anyone else used that technique? If so, how does it compare for loop strength and durability to the standard method of loop making? Thanks.
                        3 strands total, or was it 3 bundle?
                        I'm thinking you mean 3 bundle.

The braided splice is a very dependable method for those who can't do a dependable flemish splice, that won't slip.

The three draw backs of the braided are:

(1) They are butt ugly. Of course that's just my personal opinion.

(2) You will never get the braided splice to be as round as a flemish splice.

(3) The braid creates more strand to strand / fiber to fiber friction/wear in the spice. I have never seen a good flemish string break in the splice. I have seen braided splices break.

Rick

Comment

Thanks, Rick. It was, of course, three bundle. Yeah, the braided one was nowhere near as round as the Flemish twist approach, and I kind of agree with the analysis of their beauty. It was just something I'd never seen before as most guys shoot either Flemish twist or endless loop - another species that in my opinion is butt ugly.

Comment

Got the string jig finished up for my brother for his birthday tomorrow. Step Dad had a left over piece of rough cut maple in the shop from one of our runs of Texas Flag cutting boards that we make. Cut it down to 4" wide. Ran it through the joiner and the planer to get all four sides smooth. Used the table saw to cut a shallow cutting groove. Stenciled and wood burnt the numbers and marks. Drill pressed pilot holes and drove in cut off rivits for posts and then a piece of dowl for the movable peg. Finished off with some satin poly and polish. Think it came out good for short notice.

A huge thanks to Rick for his help and providing a good set of plans to follow. Deviated slightly for our own touch but over all pretty much followed the plan.

Will let yall know when to first string gets cut and twisted.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X