X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City folks

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
      That folks could opine on a subject without having to cut somebody down for asking a question.

Tryton prolly summed it up the best as far as costs. Even if there was a different bin for bi-week or monthly pick-up, the truck still runs the same route. They're not gonna offer something that cuts their profit..and they know you want your trash hauled off, lots or little. If it's not tied to his water bill and the city would let him cancel it(as already mentioned), I'd try that and share with a neighbor.

I live a couple miles out and have about a dozen neighbors. Asked the trash co. about putting a dumpster out here for us all to share(instead of 12 stops with a bag or two) and got a big ol nada...wouldn't even consider it. Less profit.
      Yeah not trying to be a smart arse.. but I believe that was the point from me and most of the others but I understand your statement.

Comment

I guess I'm just lucky, but the garbage comes by my house twice a week and it is so cheap that I dont care if I use it twice or once or if my neighbor needs 10 tons of garbage removed. Is the garbage pick up expensive there?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
          Yeah not trying to be a smart arse.. but I believe that was the point from me and most of the others but I understand your statement.
          10-4 amigo, but 6 of the first 7 replies were more jabbin' than anything. That's when folks started commenting on the ribbing instead of the OP. Like Mama always said....i guess!

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
            I understand your frustration. It kinda goes along with the tens of thousands of dollars I've paid in school taxes over the years, except I don't have kids!
            Yep... as have I.

But I have helped fund a fire department that I have never used, paid for roads that I have never driven down and so on.

For the OP, here is the difference between a water bill and trash pickup. Trash services require a truck, gasol/diesel and a couple of workers. They have to drive by your home ready to pick up the trash whether you have any or not. It is not an on demand service where people call in “when they need it”. When you turn on your water, it is used on your demand only, unlike the trash truck. The city does not station a worker outside of your home at the water meter waiting for you to request water. It is all automated. If you don’t use it, the city is out of nothing. If a trash truck drives down a couple of blocks and no one has any trash, they still used the service as the equipment and manpower had to be there and be available whether you used it or not. You did use the service no matter if you put out any trash.

In my opinion.

Comment

I clean fish....and my neighbors are very glad we have twice a week trash pick-up.

Comment

The humanity.

We pay for trash services at two addresses.....it's just part of the deal, although it does bug me a bit as well.

And then to top it all off.....the pool guy parked in my spot in the driveway!

I try to remember to use it as an opportunity to count my blessings.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  The humanity.

We pay for trash services at two addresses.....it's just part of the deal, although it does bug me a bit as well.

And then to top it all off.....the pool guy parked in my spot in the driveway!

I try to remember to use it as an opportunity to count my blessings.
                  Don't worry about the pool guy.........IF you have a pool. If you don't have a pool, that's when you can start to worry !

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                    Life's not "fair".

DJ
                    I'm 66. Nobody has to tell me this. lol

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                    I have pick up twice a week and always have at least one bag. I don't know how i could do it once a month.
                    I live alone.

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                    There is no easy way to make house holds pay different amounts for trash pickup. The administrative effort to keep and maintain the system would make your garbage pickup more expensive than it already is.
                    I understand your point. and it's a good one. I'm not complaning about the cost. Just the equity of the system.

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                    I understand your frustration. It kinda goes along with the tens of thousands of dollars I've paid in school taxes over the years, except I don't have kids!
                    Yea, there's another good system.

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    Compose a song to sing at the next council meeting. They respond well to that.

Oh... and wear a costume.
                    Might work in Austin. LOL

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    Maybe see if your neighbor will let you put your trash in their can and you pay them a portion of the cost?
                    That's what we did at the lake.

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                    I just want to know how in the world you live in a house for a month and only fill the trash bin once. We have one if the 90 gallon (or 95, whatever it is) bins and usually have to smash it all down just to get it all in there every week. It's just me, my wife and my son. And, I'm hardly ever there.
                    Dang kids.....LOL.

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                    I have the same issue except I usually have more trash than will fit in my can.

Sorry man.....

Can I bring my extra thrash to your house and drop it off?
                    Your always welcome.....

Thanks ya'll for the input...

Comment

This thread just reminded me San Marcos went to once a week pick up when gas was $4/gal and never switched back even though my bill stayed the same!

I even get charged for a recycle bin that has never existed for my address.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        Yep... as have I.

But I have helped fund a fire department that I have never used, paid for roads that I have never driven down and so on.

For the OP, here is the difference between a water bill and trash pickup. Trash services require a truck, gasol/diesel and a couple of workers. They have to drive by your home ready to pick up the trash whether you have any or not. It is not an on demand service where people call in “when they need it”. When you turn on your water, it is used on your demand only, unlike the trash truck. The city does not station a worker outside of your home at the water meter waiting for you to request water. It is all automated. If you don’t use it, the city is out of nothing. If a trash truck drives down a couple of blocks and no one has any trash, they still used the service as the equipment and manpower had to be there and be available whether you used it or not. You did use the service no matter if you put out any trash.

In my opinion.

Always the voice of reason messing up someone's good rant!

Comment

Serious answer:

Burn barrel
                          Compost Barrel
                          Recycle

You can,with a little effort,reduce your trash 80%-90%.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                          X