Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #201
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
PSD Ryan - that comment from the group - not understanding why anybody was mad because they are "just deer and there are plenty more out there" sums up the attitude that causes alot of these problems. It is often hard to make a non deer hunter "get it" when it comes to management practices. They figure it's like when they are dove hunting - "hey, there's a dove, and I'm dove hunting" so, BOOM! Now they are deer hunting, so it's "hey, there's a deer and I'm deer hunting" so, BOOM! I think alot of times when they deliberately break the rules they have decided to go by the old saying "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" What they find out though, is there is no forgiveness when it comes to breaking the deer rules on purpose. They just can't understand how seriously we take it...
It was definitely an issue of permission vs forgiveness. I think they knew they would be able to come back next year because they were family. The cousin said he had never shot a nice buck before and couldn't pass up the opportunity even though he knew he wasn't allowed to.
PSD Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #202
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Being a guide, I have a dozen of these stories but out of respect for...well its juyst better not to tell some of them. Heres another.

There is a large ranch here in Houston co owned by a little old lady who allows NO hunting. It is overrun with deer and a biologist came out with a nephew and told her she really needed to take a bunch of does. Now nephew invited me to help with the doe hunt. She really didn't want any deer shot but bucks were off limits.
We decided to still hunt along a narrow strip of timber on a big creek with nephew starting at one end and me at the other. I hadn't gone 60yd when I heard a deer coming. MASSIVE typical 9pt with a bunch of trash. He ran up to about 25yds before he saw me and stopped with a snort. I snorted back at him and we played that game for about 2 minutes before he turned and headed back toward nephew. BOOOM,BOOOM,BOOOM went the 7mag!

Nephew was all shook up as he described his dream buck that belonged on the cover of a magazine which he had just gut shot. The deer crossed into another neighbors property where we didn't have permission to be and that's where I excused myself and left. He continued into that property and a fiasco ensued with that land owner. That was the end of hunting on her property. Sucks because if we had done this right, we could have likely hunted it for years and eventually gained full permissions.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #203
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

OK, here's my mistakes.
Hunting the BAO for the first time on a late season doe hunt I had a doe come in. I was sitting in a box blind shooting thru shoot thru mesh for the first time. Had a doe come in and glassed her for nubbins. None, nota, not a bump. Being leary of the mesh I tried to shoot through a hole in the mesh and the arrow deflected and I missed. She turned and ran immediately out of sight of the one open window. Instantly she came back feeding so I nocked another arrow and let it fly. Tracked her about 40yds and found out this one was a nubbin...
Immediately called Trailboss who was in town and told him what happened and the checkbook is out. He said tag it and he'll deal with me when he gets back. When he got there I was feeling like crap. Told him I was ready to pay the penelty and would donate the meat. He was real good about it and believed my story. Let me keep him and invited me back. I even joined his season lease the next year.

My second one...
First AoE hunt for axis does had me in a stand with a dry creek bed on one side well below me. They all had told me that axis nubbins had kind of tall pedicules instead of bumps and would be real noticeable. This one barely had any bumps at all and I let an arrow fly. When Brian picked me up I was ready to go home and pay the penelty... All the guys got a good laugh out of it and still razz me about it.. Brian still let's me come out and hunt but I think it's only because I bring cool friends.

Both honest mistakes and I was ready and willing to accept all consequences.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #204
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
J.B. your story is the perfect illustration of how some guys are just wired different. There have been several guys over the years who were friends but a weekend in the woods with them showed a side of them that changed my opinion. I've had the same change of opinon after one round of golf. Maybe hunting and golf reveal character...
I have seen more people become complete jerks over deer hunting. I love deer hunting but I have seen friends totally screw each other over a deer. I don't get it.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #205
Tex
Ten Point

I'm on a doe hunt at my neighbors right now. Think he would believe I thought this was a doe?

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #206
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm on a doe hunt at my neighbors right now. Think he would believe I thought this was a doe?

Do it!
No balls!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #207
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
OK, here's my mistakes.
Hunting the BAO for the first time on a late season doe hunt I had a doe come in. I was sitting in a box blind shooting thru shoot thru mesh for the first time. Had a doe come in and glassed her for nubbins. None, nota, not a bump. Being leary of the mesh I tried to shoot through a hole in the mesh and the arrow deflected and I missed. She turned and ran immediately out of sight of the one open window. Instantly she came back feeding so I nocked another arrow and let it fly. Tracked her about 40yds and found out this one was a nubbin...
Immediately called Trailboss who was in town and told him what happened and the checkbook is out. He said tag it and he'll deal with me when he gets back. When he got there I was feeling like crap. Told him I was ready to pay the penelty and would donate the meat. He was real good about it and believed my story. Let me keep him and invited me back. I even joined his season lease the next year.

My second one...
First AoE hunt for axis does had me in a stand with a dry creek bed on one side well below me. They all had told me that axis nubbins had kind of tall pedicules instead of bumps and would be real noticeable. This one barely had any bumps at all and I let an arrow fly. When Brian picked me up I was ready to go home and pay the penelty... All the guys got a good laugh out of it and still razz me about it.. Brian still let's me come out and hunt but I think it's only because I bring cool friends.

We shoot doe fawns as a management tool... we don't get mad at people for making a mistake... we just try to be as careful as possible...

Shooting a nubbin or two is an acceptable consequence of the strategy.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #208
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
So....whatever happened to it?
It was mounted 1/2 LS.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #209
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Do it!
No balls!
Haha. No money.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #210
HandiKap Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Riverside, Medina, Wimberley

Had a small one at a buddies place today. Guy was supposed to shoot a 140 in cull that was a friend deal. Ended up shooting a 168. Cost him a check for 6 k
HandiKap Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #211
thorthunder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Will tell one on my Dad.

Gave him a box of 30-06 Springfield Remington 55gr Accelerator bullets. Told hime it was not a deer round and he should use it to blow up ground hogs. It goes almost 4000 fps.
He went to the range and sighted in his gun with it and on the first morning I hear boom. Kool dad got a deer. Drive over to get him and he is standing over a doe with a huge hole going through her and tiny bone fragments from her nose to tail.
I said you used an accelerator didn't you?

Enjoy the video.
thorthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #212
dallascowboys
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
OK, here's my mistakes.

My second one...

i have just got into hunting the last 3 years, My fil got me into it and i have loved it ever since but this is what scares the heck out of me lol i dont know how to tell the difference of ages and my fil put me in a stand at his lease and said what ever you do dont shoot a nubbin only a doe well i set there 2 days and didnt let an arrow fly cause every dang animal i saw i thought i saw bumps on its head lmao all ive got are hogs and until i get my own lease one day i think i will just stick with those and do homework lol especially after reading these 6k chit i would be in some trouble!! want to take something with my bow but think i will practice on hogs!!
dallascowboys is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #213
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

We had an incident today:

We have a small place in East TX, my buddy's dad owns it. Distant family member asks if he can bring his 14 year old son out there to hog hunt only while my buddy is out there supervising them. All went well last night. This afternoon, a truck pulls up with 6 more adults and a dog, drove 3 hours from Fort Worth to party. The dog immediately jumps out of the truck and whizzes on my buddy's brand new Tikka T3 Before he can rein them in, they haul *** for the lake. He pulls the guy aside and he tells my buddy he didn't think it would be a big deal as his buddies were tromping through the woods with AR-15's. My buddy calls me and asks how to handle it. I told him to kick their butts to the curb NOW, all of them. Taking advantage of a nice offer and disrespecting the lease after being explained the rules. Needless to say, they were sent packing and left my buddy all stressed out. I told him he was nicer than me, I'd have turned them around at the gate.

For serious deer hunters, it's an affront to everything you've worked for and put into the lease. Blood, sweat, tears and TIME that you can't get back.

Ryan, I would have been LIVID.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #214
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Enlightening and entertaining thread. Amazing degree of cluelessness shown by some of the subjects of these stories. Worse is the lack of respect for rules or behavior as a guest anywhere.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #215
jcharette08
Four Point

Hunt In: NM, MS, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBGP View Post
I had a guy I do some work with come out as a favor. Said he was a big hunter and he hunts every ware. Came out with new camo and a brand new 270. I sat in the blind with him the first evening talking to him about deer, working on aging them and explaining him what not to shoot.

The next morning, I dropped him off and went over the what to shoot what not to shoot again. Also told him he must shoot a doe before he shoots a buck, so shoot the first mature doe you see. " you bet". I went off with the hand and sat in the high rack and killed a few hog's and yotes. Wen went to pick him up, he was out of the blind and all excited. He said he shoot a big old buck. We fallowed the blood trail and picked up a 130'' 9PT 3YO. I told him nicely that that buck was young and he was done shooting bucks and he needed to shoot a doe and some pigs. He was to happy to be bothered. I was frustrated but some what relived because it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

That evening, I drop him off in a blind close to camp. Went off and started working around the camp. I told him, no bucks. Does and pigs only. I head a couple of shots. I went to pick him up from the blind and he was again out of the blind and was pointing in to the brush. This time he was telling me he shot a cull buck, it was old and needed to die, he was watching it fight with a younger buck and it really hunt the younger buck. He killed the young buck because it was hurt. He needed to put it down. We collected the deer and I was in rage. So this guy killed a 3.5 yo 9py 130'', a 4.5 you 8pt 134" and a 2.5 yo 11pt 132".

I sent him home that night, no shower, no dinner. Made that fkr, clean his deer and get out. I no longer do biz with him or his company. I was sick about it for a while. This is a place where I am really working on improving the heard and hear this guy shoots 3 bucks that have potential.
Wow, I can see making a mistake (not shooting a bum before a doe) but makin your own judgement calls in behalf if the landowner to try to justify shwacking three bucks, crazy
jcharette08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #216
thorshammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Sweet Baby Rays!!!!!
Almost as cool just to see them in their own element.
thorshammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #217
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascowboys View Post
i have just got into hunting the last 3 years, My fil got me into it and i have loved it ever since but this is what scares the heck out of me lol i dont know how to tell the difference of ages and my fil put me in a stand at his lease and said what ever you do dont shoot a nubbin only a doe well i set there 2 days and didnt let an arrow fly cause every dang animal i saw i thought i saw bumps on its head lmao all ive got are hogs and until i get my own lease one day i think i will just stick with those and do homework lol especially after reading these 6k chit i would be in some trouble!! want to take something with my bow but think i will practice on hogs!!
And to make matters worse- older does on my lease in Menard do have bumps on their heads-
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #218
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
And to make matters worse- older does on my lease in Menard do have bumps on their heads-
That's something I've never seen before. Any other does like that, or was she the only one?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #219
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

I was that guy also. But mine was bad communication between me and the landowner's son.
Back during my short stink pursuing higher education, a fellow Javalina asked me if I knew how to change out a starter on his '97 F-150. Piece of cake and as payment he offered to take me hunting on his family land. That friday afternoon, I was sitting on a tripod overlooking 3 senderos in a Zapata County game ranch. He stayed at the ranch house and we stayed in contact thru 2 way radios. At about 5:15 a gorgeous symmetrical 6x6 with double drops steps out at 100 yards. I call it in and get the go ahead. My heart starts racing as I level my rifle and do my preshot sequence. As I give one final look around, I see another bigger buck in the opposite sendero. I quit counting at 9 points on the right side. I get the shakes and call him in too. Get the go ahead again. Which to shoot, double drop with spread and 14" G2s or too many points to count bases as thick as coke bottles trashy (but not nasty)?
I shot the first to offer a perfect broadside shot. Trashy. I loaded him up and drove to the camp house. Buddy looked in the bed of my truck and his jaw hit the floor. Told me to leave the property now. I freaked and asked if I messed up, he said "later now go, before dad showes up!" I left.
Following week, I found him at the student union building with a haunted look on his face. When he saw me, he almost cried. He went on to tell me that I had shot his dad's breeder that somehow got lose onto the main property. He told his dad what happened and the man about blew a gasket, but never blamed me. He told my buddy to tell me to take the antlers back because he wanted to hold them just once. I did the following weekend and the owner was a gentleman about the whole ordeal. He asked to keep the antlers for a while to make a replica set, and I gladly obliged. Did get my antlers back the following summer, but never asked for score or what the price tag actually was. That happened back in 2000 and everytime I look up and see those 18 points on my wall I remember the rush with a smile on my face and chuckle about the while ordeal. That was one expensive starter change out, lol

I will get that rack mounted one day...
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #220
Tspurgin26
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka, fort stockton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
I was that guy also. But mine was bad communication between me and the landowner's son.
Back during my short stink pursuing higher education, a fellow Javalina asked me if I knew how to change out a starter on his '97 F-150. Piece of cake and as payment he offered to take me hunting on his family land. That friday afternoon, I was sitting on a tripod overlooking 3 senderos in a Zapata County game ranch. He stayed at the ranch house and we stayed in contact thru 2 way radios. At about 5:15 a gorgeous symmetrical 6x6 with double drops steps out at 100 yards. I call it in and get the go ahead. My heart starts racing as I level my rifle and do my preshot sequence. As I give one final look around, I see another bigger buck in the opposite sendero. I quit counting at 9 points on the right side. I get the shakes and call him in too. Get the go ahead again. Which to shoot, double drop with spread and 14" G2s or too many points to count bases as thick as coke bottles trashy (but not nasty)?
I shot the first to offer a perfect broadside shot. Trashy. I loaded him up and drove to the camp house. Buddy looked in the bed of my truck and his jaw hit the floor. Told me to leave the property now. I freaked and asked if I messed up, he said "later now go, before dad showes up!" I left.
Following week, I found him at the student union building with a haunted look on his face. When he saw me, he almost cried. He went on to tell me that I had shot his dad's breeder that somehow got lose onto the main property. He told his dad what happened and the man about blew a gasket, but never blamed me. He told my buddy to tell me to take the antlers back because he wanted to hold them just once. I did the following weekend and the owner was a gentleman about the whole ordeal. He asked to keep the antlers for a while to make a replica set, and I gladly obliged. Did get my antlers back the following summer, but never asked for score or what the price tag actually was. That happened back in 2000 and everytime I look up and see those 18 points on my wall I remember the rush with a smile on my face and chuckle about the while ordeal. That was one expensive starter change out, lol

I will get that rack mounted one day...
Pictures
Tspurgin26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #221
DaveC
Pope & Young

Default Guest Mistake Stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's something I've never seen before. Any other does like that, or was she the only one?
No.

Looking through my phone pics I found another with bumps I have shot out there.

Hunting this year I saw some on the hoof too.

Might be an abnormality in that area. Too bad moms with bumps doesn't equate to offspring bucks with huge racks.....

Last edited by DaveC; 11-17-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Old 11-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #222
DaveC
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspurgin26 View Post
Pictures
I agree, lets see this booner producer!

Sounds like a heck of a tale, but as you said wasn't your fault.
I bet jr. got his ear chewed on though.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #223
gatorgar
Pope & Young

I never took any LDP as I was freaking out about the whole ordeal. But i'll take some pics of the antlers this weekend when I get home.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #224
Coach W
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Dickens, Kent

Tagged at 167
Coach W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #225
Toolman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I had a lease that I managed For 7 years. I grew some great deer in the area we were in. I took a friend from work to only shoot does or spikes or a old 4 point I had on camera. I set him up in my wifes blind. Many good bucks had come from that blind. He took a 200 pound boar there and a doe. He knew what he was supposed to take from this blind. One morning he shoots a BIG 6. Takes a bad shot. Spined him. Texts me and says he couldn't finish the job. I had to come over and dispatch the deer with my pistol. It was a bad deal. He got BUCK FEVER. I was Pizzed. That 6 scored 130. I let it go. Only Because I had never seen that buck before. He was 7-8 years old. He actually did good taking him. Didn't want those genetics. I brought him back many times after that and only took does. Still feels bad about it. I WILL NEVER LET HIM LIVE IT DOWN. I have moved on from that place. Owners son wanted to hunt the deer I raised. Oh well.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #226
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Great thread!!
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #227
JHarrell89
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Midwest for now

More, more, please!!!
JHarrell89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #228
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintb View Post
The rancher can charge you what is current market for the bull and the money that could of been made off the bulls services for 2-3 years.
He can charge the same current price for the cow and for the calves she would have had for 2-3 years.

This is why they cost so much when things like this happen from what ive been told by ranchers
Yep, it's not the receipt price of the cow/bull. It's how much it's gonna cost to replace it and how much money you lost from future calves.
Most of the time we buy our bulls and heifers young, then feed them out ourselves. This not only gives us control of how well they're fed while maturing, but also tends to gentle them down quite a bit since you are interacting with them every day.
All of that feed and time quickly adds up and will definitely go into the replacement cost if someone is stupid enough to shoot one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post
When I hear about mistakes I always think about this thread...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=113141
That must've been a good one, it's deleted now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
Don't think I would have let that one go. 11 yrs old is mature/knowledgable enough to know how to tell a female from a male. Daddy would have been paying for that bull. Sounds like the girl thought she would not get in trouble since she was there for a cow hunt and knew she was killing a bull when she shot.
Probably wouldn't have said anything in front of the kid, but dad would've definitely been writing a check.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #229
BBRU
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere....

After reading all these stories, I'd have to question the the validity of some of these so called "friends". To me it's pretty cut and dry, you shoot what you are supposed to shoot and that's it. If you don't like it, pound sand. I've had the privilege to hunt on many different ranches with absolute monsters. Some I got to shoot, and others that I couldn't, not once did I break the rules. I value the friendships of the folks that invited me and never wanted to break their trust. Because of that, I continually have been invited back and taken bigger animals every time. These stories are precisely why most land owners are apprehensive about letting people hunt their land.
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #230
morris_mat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Evant, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
I guided my brother in law on a management buck near Laredo. We got it on film, and he was pumped to have a nice 6.5 135 inch 10 point. We were allowed two bucks on this ranch so now it was time for me to start focusing on a trophy. I put my b-I-l in a blind and told him to shoot a hog or javelina. I guess I forgot to specify not to shoot another buck as he should of known I only got two bucks. A few minutes later, he calls and stated he has another buck down but only this one was bigger. I asked if he was joking and sure enough it was no joke. He had a beautiful 10 point laying on the ground which about made me throw-up. He asked if I was mad and I said no bc its my fault for letting you hunt by yourself. I also stated that my hunting season was done for the year. He keeps asking when he can go hunting again, but I always have a good excuse ready.

Moral of the story: don't let guest sit by themselves. It's your fault if they mess up.
I would have made him pay for that years lease dues. or walk home.....
morris_mat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #231
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRU View Post
After reading all these stories, I'd have to question the the validity of some of these so called "friends". To me it's pretty cut and dry, you shoot what you are supposed to shoot and that's it. If you don't like it, pound sand. I've had the privilege to hunt on many different ranches with absolute monsters. Some I got to shoot, and others that I couldn't, not once did I break the rules. I value the friendships of the folks that invited me and never wanted to break their trust. Because of that, I continually have been invited back and taken bigger animals every time. These stories are precisely why most land owners are apprehensive about letting people hunt their land.
Very well said. I ended a hunting relationship last year with a guy I have hunted with off and on for 30 years over some crap just like these stories. Total disrespect for my property and rules. I posted about it last year although I left the worst of the details out. the bottom line is, I now KNOW I cant trust him so that just carries over into everything else too. I don't need friends I cant trust.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #232
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I have shot a doe in Nacogdoches Co. that has bumps like that
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #233
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

TTT!! This is a great thread!
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #234
Shallowater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
Have one that not really a guest hunter and is more sad than stupid. Was on a youth hunt years ago at Kerr WMA and before the hunt they spent 30 minutes showing everyone what was and wasn't OK to shoot. They spent 10 minutes on one 2.5yr old with antlers messed up on one side they thought was probably damaged on early development. The other side was beautiful and they want everyone to leave it to see its potential next year. They showed pictures of it from every angle.

After the next morning hunt I was showing the biologists the video of a 13 pt 2.5yr old we passed on when a father/daughter show up with "the" buck we were all told not to shoot. The staff was none too happy. The dad showed us the video he was shooting at the time. What happened was 2 bucks walked out at same time. Daughter sees the off limits buck and is watching through scope and dad sees a mature buck and is watching through camera. Neither sees the other buck. You hear dad tell her to shoot it and hear her saying "but Dad! It's the wrong one". He says shoot it again and again she says "but Dad!" He tells her once again to shoot so she does and the buck in the camera doesn't fall and you hear the daughter say "I got it" and then start to cry and say it was the wrong buck. About this time the dad realizes what just happened and says "Oh No!!" and turns camera off. It was sad to see that deer taken too soon and to see that poor girl's hunt turn from joy to sorrow.
This is sad, but it is also sad that the "potential" of what a ****ed deer could be ruined an otherwise special day for this little girl. If it's a grown A S S man it's one thing, but a kid should be given some slack.
Shallowater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #235
Shallowater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County, New Mexico

Quote:
This is well said.
Shallowater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #236
sandhillslayer
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bailey co. Lamb co.

Let a guy shoot a meat buck mule deer and acctually showed him a picture of the deer not to shoot and told him it was a 12 point. Well the guy shoots it and told me he was used to hunting mulies in Arizona and he thought I was talking about a 12x12. Deer probably scored in the 170's and needless to say he wasint welcomed back.

Last edited by sandhillslayer; 11-18-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Clarity
sandhillslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #237
stingebow
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson, Burleson, Wherever

Ttt. Need some new ones to read. First time I have ever read a complete thread that was this long.
stingebow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #238
carp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity Co, Kerr Co.

One simple instruction don't shoot a Muflon. They get back that night all happy about the "ram" they shot. Guess i should have asked if they knew what a Muflon was.
carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #239
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Here is the rack to the deer I took. My dad surprised me by staining them it's dad, what can I say.

My size ten shoe for refrence

With a .270 round for reference

Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #240
powderburner
Six Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

I guess. We all have stories..
My dad was the lease manager on a ranch in Roosevelt. Rules were 8PT or better. 2 Bucks 2 Does. The ranch had a trap pasture near the front that was to never be hunted. Period. Well I was walking a draw near that pasture and jumped a big buck and he ran and jumped into the trap. I could see the other side of the trap and he never came out. So I sat down and waited. After a little while I grabbed my rattling horns and hit them together. As soon as I did I saw a buck get up and start running in my direct from that trap. When he hit the fence row I shot and folded him right next to the fence, on the wrong side. I was pumped and went down to collect my beast... Well my best was a perfect 6pt. 3x3 all of 18mo at the oldest. So I gutted him put him in a jeep. and went to camp took the chewing and was told to never let it happen again. We all make mistakes.
Well,
That evening I went to my blind and had tons of deer. Right at dark I look up and see an old buck walking down the ridge. I look and see 2 up on each side but with the sun I can not see but one of the brows. But Hey 2 up makes an eight and if they have one brow they always have two. So, I shot. Hey I am on cloud 9 I just killed 2 bucks in one day. I am the great white hunter. I walk over and fine blood. Follow the trail and walk up on an 7pt. 4x3. No brow on the side I could not see. I turned around and walked back to the jeep and went back to camp. I was not going to break the rules twice in one day. When i get back to camp they ask me what I shot. I said nothing I missed a buck. Well that story did not stand up as they all "heard" the shot hit and wanted to help me look. Well after a little grilling I gave in. And told the truth. Well Did I learn a huge lesson about lying and not owning up. We went back got the buck cleaned boxed the deer. The other members were not mad. But that was over to 25 years ago and I can still remember my dads face. It seems like yesterday when I look back.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #241
black dallas
Eight Point

Hunt In: leaseless

man thats a lot of points!
black dallas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #242
FCTrapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa/McMullen County

Ive read all the stories and I seriously believe I can relate to each and every one of them. LoL

Big Bucks really make people go out of their minds. I've seen grown men loose complete control at the sight of a big buck. Our policy now here at the ranch is if your hunting for a buck you are required to have a guide....Period... and unfortunately for some of my guides we sometimes have to babysit doe hunters too.
FCTrapper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #243
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCTrapper View Post
Ive read all the stories and I seriously believe I can relate to each and every one of them. LoL

Big Bucks really make people go out of their minds. I've seen grown men loose complete control at the sight of a big buck. Our policy now here at the ranch is if your hunting for a buck you are required to have a guide....Period... and unfortunately for some of my guides we sometimes have to babysit doe hunters too.
Story time! Storyyy Timeee!!!!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #244
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCTrapper View Post

Reading this comment made me think of an experience a buddy of mine had while guiding a lady hunter down in south texas last year. So this lady and her husband come in to the place he is helping out on and she is allowed to shoot a management buck only. Well needless to say the very first day this huge pretty 3.5 year old 10 point comes rolling in and he is on the do not shoot list. Needless to say she goes nuts and is wanting to shoot this deer. The entire time he is telling her no and trying to explain why. Well he finally leaves and the deer she is allowed to shoot smallish 8pt that was 5.5 strolls in and she refuses to shoot the deer because she wants to shoot the 10 pt This goes on for 3 days and he finally breaks her down and she is going to shoot the 8 pt. Well he becomes a no show for the next 2 days and finally shows up on the last evening of the hunt and she was bitching the entire time afterwords about not being able to shoot the 10 pt and having to shoot the little 8pt and on and on. But like I told him if he hadn't been there she would have smoked that 10 pt with tons of potential on a management hunt. So it may be a pain to have to baby sit folks but it is worth it in the end if you are truly serious about managing the herd.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #245
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Huh friends? Family is worse than friends.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #246
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
Here is the rack to the deer I took. My dad surprised me by staining them it's dad, what can I say.

My size ten shoe for refrence

With a .270 round for reference

Whoa. I cannot get over that the owners son gave you the go ahead to shoot something with 9 points on 1 side in exchange for auto work. My child would have their hide tanned over that mess. Oh man, makes my heart sink just thinking about it. But what a nice ranch owner in the way he handled it with you. And a story of a lifetime for you! More than likely he could have just bought another truck for the price of that buck!
perfectstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #247
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Reading this comment made me think of an experience a buddy of mine had while guiding a lady hunter down in south texas last year. So this lady and her husband come in to the place he is helping out on and she is allowed to shoot a management buck only. Well needless to say the very first day this huge pretty 3.5 year old 10 point comes rolling in and he is on the do not shoot list. Needless to say she goes nuts and is wanting to shoot this deer. The entire time he is telling her no and trying to explain why. Well he finally leaves and the deer she is allowed to shoot smallish 8pt that was 5.5 strolls in and she refuses to shoot the deer because she wants to shoot the 10 pt This goes on for 3 days and he finally breaks her down and she is going to shoot the 8 pt. Well he becomes a no show for the next 2 days and finally shows up on the last evening of the hunt and she was bitching the entire time afterwords about not being able to shoot the 10 pt and having to shoot the little 8pt and on and on. But like I told him if he hadn't been there she would have smoked that 10 pt with tons of potential on a management hunt. So it may be a pain to have to baby sit folks but it is worth it in the end if you are truly serious about managing the herd.

and she wouldn't be invited back to my land. Complaining about hunting
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #248
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins and Montague County

I hunted with a guy once who shot a nice red stag thinking it was a sika, with his bow. $3k trophy fee.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #249
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I took a friend bowhunting on a ranch in Llano Co years ago. There were a few goats running loose and my friend saw an old billy and just went nuts! he was going to shoot it or else! I absolutely refused to let the guy kill the old man goat! Two days later, I was telling the owner about it and he laughed. He said," Heck, let him shoot the old Ba----d. Kill fee is 400 bucks. I aint ever got that kind of money for a goat." That goats on someones wall right now.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #250
Dushon
Ten Point

Up. Need some more stories
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top