Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #151
swampstander
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson, Leon, Freestone Counties

Several years ago we had a family lease south of Sonora. It had some nice deer and it butted up to the old Dolan Creek Ranch so we had a few exotics around. The occasional Corsican Ram Sika deer and Aoudad could be seen. The place was covered with Angora goats.

My brother in law came down to hunt opening weekend. We sat around the campfire the evening before talking about the game we had seen on scouting trips. The next morning I drop him off at a stand on the side of a hill overlooking a canyon and head to my spot. When my hunt was over I drove back and he was sitting on the side of the road. He met me at my window and says he shot something.

I asked him how big it was. He says "well...whats a corsican ram look like?". I described one to him.

He says "whats am aoudad like like?" I described one of those too.

He then squints a little bit and says " whats an angora goat look like?" So I described an angora goat to him.

He then says "well...I think I shot an angora goat."

We went and looked and sure enough he had shot the biggest Boone and Crockett world record angora goat I had ever seen.

When he shot the big one the rest of the goats came over the hill and just kind of kept milling around so he figured something was amiss.

We let it lay and went to find the ranch manager. He was laughing so hard when I told him the story he told us not to worry about it.
swampstander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #152
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBowhunter View Post
That's the hardest part about hunting IMO, getting people to follow the rules/management plan.
You got that right. I deal with it all the time. I've heard all the excuses.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #153
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
J.B. your story is the perfect illustration of how some guys are just wired different. There have been several guys over the years who were friends but a weekend in the woods with them showed a side of them that changed my opinion. I've had the same change of opinon after one round of golf. Maybe hunting and golf reveal character...
I have always been told to see the true character in a person take them hunting or fishing.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #154
stickfigure
Eight Point

Hunt In: D'Hanis

Years ago I took a friend hunting on my lease in S texas. The only senderos were the roads which ran along the fences, so I sat him in a box blind on the fence that looked into our lease to a feeder. I heard him shoot several shots, so I went to pick him up. When I get there he is not in the blind and is across the fence. He has shot a buck across the fence. I am frustrated, but help him get the buck over the fence and ask why he shot so many times. He tells how he shot it once with his rifle, but then ran out of shells and emptied his pistol at it. I replied that I couldn't believe he only took one bullet for his gun, to which he said, no that was the second deer. The big one I shot is across the other fence. I looked for it, and sure enough he managed to hit it at about 300 yards, but apparently not good, as I only found about 10 drops of blood.
I couldn't believe he shot at 2 bucks both of which were across fences.
I spent an hour chewing him out about it and being frustrated that he would even consider shooting across a fence line.
That evening he sat in the same stand, and shot at a six point also across the fence.
I haven't invited him to hunt with me since then. Made me realize that some people can't make good or ethical decisions when it comes to deer.
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #155
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

My dad told me a story about the time he took his brother hunting. I imagine it was in the 50's. My Uncle even told me it when we were in Col hunting after my Dad died. They were day hunting somewhere around Boerne . My uncle was pretty new to big game hunting. They grew up around ricefields. Anyways they got to the place & got checked in & went out to hunt the 1st evening. My dad said he heard 2 shots & it sounded like pistol shots. A little later he walked over to find his brother beaming a big smile over 2 dead goats or sheep of some kind. My dad looked at him and asked him if he knew what he shot. His brother thought they were some kind of wild animals & popped 2 of them with a pistol. Of course they were the ranchers domestic animals. My Dad said they were so scared they were about to just pack & leave ,but knew that was the wrong thing to do. His brother went to the rancher dragging his tail between his legs & told him what happened. The rancher told him thanks for not just running off & my uncle paid him for them. They went back a couple more times after that & the rancher always razzed him when he got there to watch out for the wild sheep! LOL!

Last edited by DUKFVR; 11-14-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #156
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Got a high school friend Who's son is a game manager on a ranch in south Texas, Dad got invited to shoot a cull buck with a bow. This cull came to a feeder with a 160 12 pt. cull left and came back and at 12 yards the Dad put an arrow in boiler room, found him on 20 yards away, cull had 12 pts. Explanation was it was 6 pm and he could not tell it was the 12 pt. my friend actually got mad when I messed with him about it. If u mess up face the music.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #157
TXBlkCld
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Denton Co & Grayson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
I have always been told to see the true character in a person take them hunting or fishing.
You can tell more about a person's character in 10 mins of play than in an hour of conversation.
TXBlkCld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #158
TXBlkCld
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Denton Co & Grayson Co
Default Guest Mistake Stories...

Many years ago before I had ever even heard of aging deer, a good buddy of mine from Laredo invited me down to go on a hunt on his family's 1,000 acre ranch. The only stipulation out on me was that if it were a buck that I shot, it had to be big enough that I'd mount it.
Well the first afternoon I was there, we were talking to the neighbors who hunted 3,000 acres. They told us that the week before, they had shot at the "biggest buck" they'd ever seen in the 10 years they'd been hunting there. That being said, my two buddies and I spent three hours or so looking for the dead deer since he was never recovered. All we ever found were the remains of a poached doe in a plastic trash bag. So that evening, we sat in a high rack and never saw a shooter.
All of his is taking place around New Year's Eve and that night my buddy's family had a party. My buddy got too sloshed to hunt the next morning so I got up and went by myself. I was sitting in the stand and was getting ready to get down because I had to leave that morning to head back home to north Texas. As I look up, I see a doe coming to the feeder. Then I see a buck behind her. He was limping and digging the doe but he was the deer for me. I settled the crosshairs and the .264 barked. He ran off and piled up. After I got down to go find him, I was wondering around where I knew was the general area where he had disappeared. I started smelling something rotten, like rotten flesh. I find my buck and at the same time I find the source of the smell. Apparently the "biggest deer" these guys had ever seen was a 3 yo 8 pt and they had shot him in the leg. Well I gutted him and loaded him up for the trek north back home. On my way I stopped by and saw my buddy and the med him for the opportunity to hunt and kill a nice deer. He walked up and said, "nice deer for a 3 year old". I had no clue what that meant since I'd never heard someone refer to the "age" of a deer. He proceeded to explain it to me and was hoping I would've killed an older deer but wasn't upset with me. Once I showed him the rotten knee on the deer from the other hunters' "biggest deer" they'd ever seen in Laredo, we had a good laugh at those guys expense. We still chuckle about it to this day.....and that buck is still hanging on my wall and was the first I'd ever had mounted.
Did I mess up? Technically yes. But my buddy was glad that I had a deer I was very happy with and he was happy that I helped take out a wounded deer. Win/win.
TXBlkCld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #159
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Epic thread
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #160
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
The only mistake i have been a part of resulted from me letting a hunter sit by himself.
I had sat with him in the morning when the target 135" 9 point showed and stayed around for a pretty good while but didn't present a shot.
Knowing that the hunter could identify the buck, that evening I sat another stand. The 9point came back in that evening presenting multiple shot opportunities.
Paul Godsey with Double G was the hunter and never took the shot because he wasn't 100% sure it was the same buck.
So, my not sitting that stand cost Paul a good management buck. I certainly would not have any problem taking Paul again though.
Clint, take me. I promise to loose an arrow I enjoy hearing Paul tell that story. He gets a funny look on his face.

Last edited by Speedgoat; 11-15-2013 at 02:41 AM..
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #161
03GruntUSMC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano, Tx

Tagged for after work...
03GruntUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #162
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

These stories are why landowners are very reluctant to let people come out and shoot does and hogs. How many times have you read on here, "I'm more than willing to come help you thin out your does or hogs".
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #163
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I took a good buddy down to my super secret hog spot. His only instruction was "don't shoot any black and white spotted pig!" Didn't take long and he texts me and says he shot a pig. So, I get down to go help him find it.

When I got to him, he says, "I shot a spotted pig!" I laughed, knowing he was kidding. He repeats, "pretty sure it was a spotted one!" I said, "haha" knowing this guy can be a real prankster.

Well, here's his LDP.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384523179.783829.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  129.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384523193.683609.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  141.9 KB

In the long run, the joke was on him. But that's for a whole other thread never to be written. Lol

Last edited by Fishndude; 11-15-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #164
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndadio View Post
I took a good buddy down to my super secret hog spot. His only instruction was "don't shoot any black and white spotted pig!" Didn't take long and he texts me and says he shot a pig. So, I get down to go help him find it.

When I got to him, he says, "I shot a spotted pig!" I laughed, knowing he was kidding. He repeats, "pretty sure it was a spotted one!" I said, "haha" knowing this guy can be a real prankster.

Well, here's his LDP.

Attachment 571624
Attachment 571625

In the long run, the joke was on him. But that's for a whole other thread never to be written. Lol
haha! I was wondering if this one would show up
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #165
Lokmdwn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Centerville, LBJ, Abeline, Illinois and anywhere else I can

This one is more along the lines of doing the right thing. This happened to me a few years ago. I was allowed to take a buck and a doe off a small piece of property that belonged to my FIL's coworker. My FIL set this up so I would come to their house for the whole Thanksgiving weekend, just outside of Abilene. I could shoot any buck EXCEPT the big 8 that showed up every morning and evening. To date that is the biggest buck I have ever seen alive. I swear his G2’s were at least 14 inches and the G3’s weren’t much shorter. The first morning I hit the grunt call and he came charging in and walked by me at 4 yards (I was on the ground) and he looked mad. I was rifle hunting. I saw him every time I hunted over the Thanksgiving weekend (usually inside of 20 yards). There was another big buck running around there that was missing a hoof and he was on the hit list. The only time the big boy was in the scope was the first day he popped out and I was on 9 power looking at his feet praying that one was missing, LOL. After that I only watched him with binos and my naked eyes, ended up taking a doe and a scrub 6 point. My FIL told me the next year that I was invited back and I said I didn't think I wanted to have to watch the big ones walk again and was just going to stay home and hunt. He told me the landowner said I could shoot whatever I wanted to and he only put that restriction on me the first year to see if I would abide by his rules. When I talked to Gary, (landowner), I told him that was the meanest thing that anyone had ever done to me and we both laughed about it. I have hunted there several times over the years, put a nice 8 on the wall from there and my daughter even took her first buck there a couple years ago. I have yet to see another buck like that one the first year though. Sometimes the rules are there just to see how you are going to act. I think I am the only person that ever gets to hunt on his property.
Lokmdwn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #166
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Guest Mistake Stories...

Last year a buddy of mine shot a yearling spike with a .375 h&h as a guest on out place. I told him to shoot a doe and that dang bullet he used probably weighed more than the little buck I still give him heck over that.

The other time wasn't a mistake but it was a bad time. I was living in Charlotte NC and talking with a buddy about my folks place in South Texas and how many deer are down there. Well we decided to make a 21 hr drive in my truck down to the ranch. At the time my Dad had it leased out to some hunters and I was allowed to kill one buck, one doe, 2 javilina and hogs. Well I told my buddy he could shoot one doe, a hog and a javi. That was the deal and he was soooo happy to be going to South Texas even though he couldn't shoot a buck. I hunted with him the first coue of sits and I let him pick which animals he wanted to shoot. We both shot a javi and he got first choice. We then see a large group of hogs and he runs up ahead of me and shoots a hog under the feeder. This was after he missed a monster hog from 75 yards. He's upset that the hog he shot only went about 100 pounds. I tell him it's all good and he can shoot my hog because I get to shoot a buck. My dad had also said to shoot a management buck and not to shoot a trophy due to the people who leased it. Well I let him hunt alone one evening and he calls me telling me he has the biggest buck in his life standing in front of him and could he shoot it. I tell him no and that he new the rules from the start. He continues to throw a fit and have a horrible attitude. He was pouting like a. 6 year old, enough to make me feel uncomfortable. I had shot a management buck that evening shortly after he called me and that made it even worse. The next morning he won't get up to go hunt so I go out and have a short sit. I go back to talk to him and he says you need to bring me to the airport in Houston so I can fly back to NC to hunt in South Carolina this weekend for a BUCK. So he whines Like a baby and is making my hunt miserable so I tell him to pack his chit and get in the dam truck. I cut my hunt 2 days short,drive 4 hrs to the airport drop him off. The guy asked my to bring back all his stuff on my 17 hr drive back to Charlotte by myself, and to keep ice on his kills for 3 days until he got back He also said he would spilt all fuel cost and ice on the way back. Well he came and got his stuff from my house and never paid me a dime.

Last edited by Black Ice; 11-15-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #167
westguy76
Ten Point

Hunt In: central TX
Default doe hunt

I got invited up to a guy's family land up in Brown County a few years back for a doe hunt. About 5 of us all in the same Sunday School class real nice gesture, good group of guys. Don't you know the one guy that talks himself up as a hunter and has the latest gear, etc. you know the type. Well he is the one to shoot a yearling (really barely knee high) button buck. and I am just embarrassed for him, no big deal to the invitee we rib him pretty good.. the next morning another guy who I know is a hunter is sitting couple hundred yards from me and we all hear him shoot twice in about 20/30 seconds. landowner texts me, WTH? I am confused too. when we go check it out he has two doe down, one under a feeder the other about 30 yards behind up on a hill. He claims he shot once and claims the (magic bullet theory) shot ricocheted off feeder leg and killed deer on hill. once again I am embarrassed and wondering .. why lie? next sitting I sit down with another guy and I have a doe come in and I keep looking at her trying to judge whether she is a mature doe for the area. I think they tend to be smaller hill country deer there unless you find a big old nag. well i finally let the .270 bark and I flat miss completely as she moves as I shoot.. **** now I feel like the fool she skips and circles and I let her have it in the neck this time and she drops straight down... he texts me asking WTH? yeah I shot twice tell him.. just flat missed feeling embarrassed.. He didnt seem impressed with the size of my doe either but maybe it was in my head at that point... anyways, point is you just never know about some guys. he did talk to me about an invite again the next year but I moved churches and lost touch.
westguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #168
Tex
Ten Point

Years ago when I first started dating my wife we would go and hunt on her granddads property on the weekends when I was in from college. One weekend we were at her house and her dad asked if we were going hunting? I told him I hadn't brought my gun with me so no. He said I will let you borrow a gun on one condition. Bring home some meat. You see we typically saw a lot of deer but I would never shoot anything because no one had ever told me what I could and couldn't shoot. He says I'm tired of heating about all these bucks and we still don't have any meat. So if you use my gun you better kill a buck. He said I could kill whatever I wanted but just leave the does alone.
Well off we go and before long a good buck steps out of the woods. I get set up and squeeze the trigger and click. I had forgotten to load the gun. The buck starts to get nervous and is heading back in the woods. I load, take aim and fire. He runs in the woods out of site and immediately runs back out across the pasture. I quickly reload and catch him in another opening as be runs between two groups of trees. I never see him come out of the trees so I think he is down. We wait about 30 minutes and decided to go and look where he was first standing to see if there was any blood from the first shot. I'm looking on the ground when my wife says "There he is". I look in the woods and there he lays. I immediately panic and wonder what the heck did I shoot at the second time and praying that I missed whatever it was. We walk over to the group of trees and laying there dead is a big fat doe. I'm sick.
So we load up the buck and head to her house. I tell him the story and apologize about 100 times. He said, a Well seems like an honest mistake so we might as well eat her.
That was over 20 years ago and I'm setting in a tree about 300 yards from that same place right now.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #169
Target-panic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Post View Post
The first year we had red deer on the ranch the owner put them off limits. I had a corporate group here and one of those guys shot "2 really big whitetail does". Turned out to be 2 of those $2000 penalty, red deer they weren't supposed to shoot.
What I still haven't figured out is how you mistake a 300lb+ red deer cow for a whitetail doe?
I remember that. That same guy, screwed up an hour and half crawling stalk on a huge rutting fallow for me too.
Target-panic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #170
Tex
Ten Point

Several years ago I was invited along with several of my coworkers to go on a hunt in south texas by a client. We decided to meet at one of the job sites and carpool. I showed up and when I got out my bow case the superintendent told me that he didn't think they allowed bow hunting on the ranch. Well sure enough when we get there they tell me that the land owner doesn't allow bows but they have plenty of guns I can use. The guys that invited us told us we could kill whatever we wanted as far as bucks went but they would prefer them to mature or culls. They also wanted us all to try and kill does as well because the season was almost over and they had a lot of mld tags to fill. Well I saw some really nice bucks but just couldn't make myself shoot them with a gun. I did take a couple of does as they had asked.
One of the guys who was with us had never killed a deer and was scared to death to shoot anything because he was afraid it wouldn't be mature. I had seen a big cull 5 pt that really needed to go so we decided to hunt together and I would film him killing this deer. Late that evening the sendero was full of bucks and does when the five finally stepped out. Tommy got on him but couldn't get a good rest. We had to play a game of twister to get him on the other side if the blind so he could be more stable. He got into position and I got the camera back on the buck. He finally got settled and took the shot. We watched the buck go behind a clump of brush never to emerge on the other side. Tommy was pumped and wanted to go get him right then but I assured him that we just needed to wait a while. As we sat there I saw a deer slipping through the brush at about 50 yards. I got the binos on him and it is the big 5. I told Tommy to try and get another shot at him all the while trying to figure out how this deer got up and made it over 200 yards without me seeing it. That's when I realized we had shot the wrong deer. We went back and reviewed the video and as we were trading places in the blind, another deer walked out in the sendero. He ended up being a 4.5 eight point that had broken off three tines so it was still a good kill but I can't tell you how nervous I was when we walked up on him.
Tommy and I filmed an apology for the guy that had invited us before we recovered the deer. We all got a big kick out of it later on.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #171
GRIFF
Four Point

Hunt In: Ozona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldB View Post
Yep heres mine, unfortunatley it was my dad that did it. I was on a lease several years back and tell my dad he can shoot a doe or two and a mature buck if he sees one. I put him on my best stand. I go to pick him up after the evening hunt and he says he shot a doe, with his bow and she ran this way. Couldn't find blood so we decided to come back in the morning. He hunts there again and shoots another doe and she ran the same as the first.

Found both deer. One was 1.5 old 5 pointer and the other was 6pt same age. I was pretty upset with him. There went my two bucks for the year. But at least it was my dad. I can forgive him.
Get that old man some glasses!!!!! Lol
GRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #172
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

I brought a buddy down to my family's ranch down in McMullen Co several years ago and put him out on a bowstand. He was from Louisiana and had never killed a deer with his bow. He was to be hunting does only and when I dropped him off at his stand I told him about a 3.5 yr old 4 pt. I told him that it had big forks and was a clean 2x2. About 45 minutes later I send him a text to see if he had see anything and he told me, he just shot "the buck". I go to pick him up and he tells me he had a blood trail. I asked to make double sure that it was the right deer and he said, "I think it is actually a 5 pt". I just kind of brushed off the comment and began tracking the deer. I follow blood for about 70 yards and jump a big deer that was strictly off limits to everyone. He was a 5.5 yr old 8 pt with a 3rd beam that would put him around 140". He has broken off one side so he was a big 4x1 (his 3rd beam). He gets up and walks away from me at 20 yards. I have a pistol on my hip at the time and the thought never crosses my mind that this is the deer that my buddy shot. I let him walk and then go back to the group to find last blood and described my encounter. My buddy gets kind of quiet when I describe the deer to him and I begin to get VERY aggravated. He then tells me that it sounds like the deer he shot. To make things worse, we lose blood and never found the buck and he was never seen again. I know without a doubt that he died from that bowshot and was wasted. We go back to the house and show him a video of that deer and he confirmed that it was the same deer. He has and will never set foot on the ranch again. It was my fault for telling him he could shoot the 4 pt. You would think that a 23 year old "hunter" would know what a 4 pt 2x2 looks like. I learned a lot that trip about people that claim to be deer hunters.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #173
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipehunter View Post
Clint, take me. I promise to loose an arrow I enjoy hearing Paul tell that story. He gets a funny look on his face.
That's right. Now I remember him telling me he had a 9 point all morning but it couldn't be the target deer because it was too big. Video showed it to be the buck he was supposed to shoot.

Last edited by Clint; 11-15-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #174
TB80
Ten Point

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=419601
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #175
Larryf250
Eight Point

Hunt In: Illinois / Goliad

A few years ago a friend and myself volunteered for the operation orphan hunt. The ranch we ended up on with about 10 kids and 8 other "guides" was a high fence place between mason and Fredericksburg. The landowner had brought in a bunch of high dollar bucks to breed and only had 2 rules: make sure it's a doe not a nubbin and shoot and sika you see. After the morning hunt grand total: 4 actual does, 4 nubbin bucks, and a whitetail spike. The guides responsible for the nubbins blamed the kids for shooting the wrong deer (ironically one guide had 2 nubbins that morning) and the guide with the kid and the spike swore to everyone that it was a hybrid between a sika and whitetail; therefore it was a cull. Needless to say, the entire group was asked to leave. I felt sorry for the kids because some of those "guides" we're not that bright.
Larryf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #176
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Good stories!!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #177
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Buck fever and inexperience can make people do crazy things. They don't respect the animal or realize how long it takes or how expensive it is to grow big deer.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #178
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryf250 View Post
A few years ago a friend and myself volunteered for the operation orphan hunt. The ranch we ended up on with about 10 kids and 8 other "guides" was a high fence place between mason and Fredericksburg. The landowner had brought in a bunch of high dollar bucks to breed and only had 2 rules: make sure it's a doe not a nubbin and shoot and sika you see. After the morning hunt grand total: 4 actual does, 4 nubbin bucks, and a whitetail spike. The guides responsible for the nubbins blamed the kids for shooting the wrong deer (ironically one guide had 2 nubbins that morning) and the guide with the kid and the spike swore to everyone that it was a hybrid between a sika and whitetail; therefore it was a cull. Needless to say, the entire group was asked to leave. I felt sorry for the kids because some of those "guides" we're not that bright.
Look at my avatar
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #179
black dallas
Eight Point

Hunt In: leaseless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
Back about 1984 we took a deacon in the church on his first deer hunt in Comanche County. He had got his rifle sighted in and bought a bunch of gear for the trip. When we got ready to go out the first morning I told him I was coming in about 10:00am for breakfast. He insisted he want to stay out till noon. I said no problem. I told him I would pick him up at noon. I took him to a tower blind overlooking a wheat field. I made sure he got up the ladder into the stand and wished him good luck. I went on about my business, hunted the morning hunt, and went back to camp at 10:00am. I never heard any shots from his direction so I waited till straight up noon to go pick the deacon up. When I got to the stand he was trying to come down the ladder but he appeared to be in a lot of pain. When he got completely down he sat on the ground rubbing his knees. He said "Man...this deer hunting is a lot tougher than I ever thought it would be."

You see....we forgot that we had taken the chair out of that tower blind. He had been on his knees for the last 6 hours peering over the window sill. He thought that was the way we all hunted.
Thanks! that made me laugh!!!
black dallas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #180
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I have a friend with a big high fence ranch. One pasture has a nice herd of elk and he started selling a few cow hunts to control his numbers and let folks get a meat elk. Anyway, a guy I know booked a cow hunt for his 11year old daughter. My friend hauled them out in his highrack truck and found a big cow. He told her to shoot her when she turned.. Immediately the kid shot bt the cow was still standing there looking. My friend told her she missed and to bolt another in and wait for the cow to turn broadside. The kid says," I killed him!" Sure enough, there was another elk he couldn't see from the drivers seat and she had killed a 440 class bull elk!

He was a good sport about it and let her keep the elk as he figured it was his fault and throwing a fit wouldn't bring the elk back to life.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #181
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I have a friend with a big high fence ranch. One pasture has a nice herd of elk and he started selling a few cow hunts to control his numbers and let folks get a meat elk. Anyway, a guy I know booked a cow hunt for his 11year old daughter. My friend hauled them out in his highrack truck and found a big cow. He told her to shoot her when she turned.. Immediately the kid shot bt the cow was still standing there looking. My friend told her she missed and to bolt another in and wait for the cow to turn broadside. The kid says," I killed him!" Sure enough, there was another elk he couldn't see from the drivers seat and she had killed a 440 class bull elk!

He was a good sport about it and let her keep the elk as he figured it was his fault and throwing a fit wouldn't bring the elk back to life.
Don't think I would have let that one go. 11 yrs old is mature/knowledgable enough to know how to tell a female from a male. Daddy would have been paying for that bull. Sounds like the girl thought she would not get in trouble since she was there for a cow hunt and knew she was killing a bull when she shot.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #182
kashmoney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ole faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock63 View Post
A lease member brought a friend that never deer hunted to shoot a doe. Each member got to shoot 1 doe and 1 buck. He took his friend and set him up at a stand with a lever action 30-30 and 5 bullets and told him he could only shoot a doe (NO HORNS). They heard 5 shots from the area the friend was set up so they went to pick him up and see what happen. They pulled up to him just smiling ear to ear with 5 dead deer (4 doe and 1 yearling buck) laid out. Asked "Why in the hell did you shoot 5 deer?" Because i ran out of bullets or i could of got 1 or 2 more was his response.
This made me laugh.
kashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #183
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
Don't think I would have let that one go. 11 yrs old is mature/knowledgable enough to know how to tell a female from a male. Daddy would have been paying for that bull. Sounds like the girl thought she would not get in trouble since she was there for a cow hunt and knew she was killing a bull when she shot.
Yeah....and the kids dad was sitting right beside her.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #184
JWF
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba and Gillespie counties

Gotta subscribe to this one
JWF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #185
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

It just amazes me how some of the people in these stories just did their own thing after being told not to. I would NEVER even think about shooting something I was told not to shoot.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #186
Baygall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Utopia, San Augustine co, Hardin co

About 15 yrs ago I worked with an older guy that had been saving his pennies to go on a south Texas deer hunt. Finally he booked a hunt with a ranch.

When he arrived at the ranch there were 8-10 other hunters there. They were schooled on what to shoot and told the rules. The next morning all the hunters were loaded in a suburban and carried to their stands. My co-worker was the last dropped off.

The first morning he saw a lot of deer but nothing that he wanted to shoot. By 2pm no one had come to pick him up for lunch. That evening he never saw a shooter. At 9pm he realized that they had forgotten him. He had no idea how to get back to camp so he stayed in the blind.

Luckily he had 2 bottles of water a several beef jerky sticks in his pack. The following afternoon at 4pm he shot a big 10 point. Very soon after the shot, the very embarrassed guide and the manager pulled up. Yep! They had so many hunters they forgot one!

He hunted for free the next year!
Baygall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #187
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Great stories guys.
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #188
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere Possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I’ve got a doozy…. I took a friend hunting out at my lease. We had hunted the weekend and had hard luck, the deer weren’t moving much.

So on the last hunt (Sunday morning) I put him in a box blind with a rifle and I go sit in a bow stand. The place we are hunting has limited cellphone service so we had walkie-talkies.
Fast forward to the hunt…I do not see anything come in worth shooting so I just enjoy the hunt. About sunrise I hear a gun shot in his direction. I contemplate calling him on the walkie-talkie, but I realize I left mine in the truck. I finished up my hunt, get out of my stand, get in my truck and head his way.

As I approach the area where he is hunting I see him walking towards me with a scowl on his face kicking rocks as he is walking my way. I pull up and ask what’s up and he replies “nothing dude, you screwed me over….”. I am baffled, and ask what is going on and he replies “I had a deer under my feeder and you screwed me over by hitting the call button on the walkie-talkie and scaring it off, I took a running shot at it was running off, but I missed”….. I ask if we should just go take a quick look for blood and he stops me short and assures me that he missed. Not wanting to be a jerk I took his word for it and we headed back to camp.

So, I am kind of perplexed that he blamed me for ruining his hunt when I didn’t even have my walkie-talkie with me, but I blow it off and give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just ****** because he missed a deer. I didn’t tell him I didn’t have the walkie-talkie with me.

Anyway this dude continues to pity-pout the entire time we are cleaning up camp and packing, and saying things like “it’s gonna be a while until I come out here again…” and basically saying derogatory comments like his weekends are wasted by coming out to hunt at my lease as my guest. At this point I am getting pretty heated, but trying to keep my cool and keep the peace with him. So, being Mr. Nice and trying to lighten up the moment and be a good sport I tell him, hey, since that walkie-talkie screwed you over, do you want to shoot it with your shotgun? Like a 6-year old he gives an ecstatic “Yes” and blows the walkie-talkie into 1,000,000 pieces.

So this whole time I keep second guessing what went on and get a feeling that we need to go and double check for blood. On the drive out I tell him that I am sorry got being OCD, but I want to go make a pass around the feeder and make sure 100% he missed…..so he gives me this look like I am a jerk for second guessing him….but we head towards the spot he was hunting.

I walk up to the feeder and make a 10’ perimeter sweep around the feeder and immediately find blood. At this point I am about to lose it. Anyways, we follow a massive blood trail and find this guy’s deer about 40-50 yards away. It was a doe. NOW, you would think this dude would be remorseful, embarrassed, and ashamed about his behavior and how he was acting….well guess again. The dude acts like nothing happened and is ecstatic about his kill.

I am so mad I can barely think straight. The guy has the guts to ask for me to take pictures and to top it off the dude can’t clean a deer so I do it for him. I was so mad I didn’t know how to react, but gave him a stern lecture about what he did…but it didn’t seem to sink in to him.

It was a really weird deal. I like the guy a lot, but the whole situation really made me question his character. We are still friends but that whole situation really jaded the way I think of him. The funniest/most mind-boggling thing is that he still doesn't have any self-realization to understand what he did and he TO-THIS-DAY brags about the great shot he made on that "running deer".
Well let me know if you need a new buddy!!!:thumbup:
haas0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #189
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baygall View Post
About 15 yrs ago I worked with an older guy that had been saving his pennies to go on a south Texas deer hunt. Finally he booked a hunt with a ranch.

When he arrived at the ranch there were 8-10 other hunters there. They were schooled on what to shoot and told the rules. The next morning all the hunters were loaded in a suburban and carried to their stands. My co-worker was the last dropped off.

The first morning he saw a lot of deer but nothing that he wanted to shoot. By 2pm no one had come to pick him up for lunch. That evening he never saw a shooter. At 9pm he realized that they had forgotten him. He had no idea how to get back to camp so he stayed in the blind.

Luckily he had 2 bottles of water a several beef jerky sticks in his pack. The following afternoon at 4pm he shot a big 10 point. Very soon after the shot, the very embarrassed guide and the manager pulled up. Yep! They had so many hunters they forgot one!

He hunted for free the next year!
Hope he shot an even bigger deer that next year

Atleast the choice to sit all day was made for him
Old 11-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #190
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

In 1989 I was guiding/hunting on a ranch north of Burnet(14,000 acres).I was ask to help guide a big corporate group from Houston and do some skinning. I could also do a little hunting. This particular ranch had a good population of aoudad sheep and some good ones too. This is what I would be after. We'll the corporate big wig great white hunters showed up that night from Houston. We where setting around the lodge talking about different animals and watching a Mike Tyson fight when aoudad sheep came up. Well one of the big wigs just had to shoot a big one. That's all he talked about for the next day and a half. Finally the ranch owner ask me to put him on some sheep as he was a very good customer in the corporate world. So I did. This guy shot a 35" sheep(Biggest I've personally seen to this day). A monster. We load him up and head in. I'm dumbfounded at his size. We'll we get there(skinning area)it's dark and the celebration begins at the skinning rack. Back slaps,high fives you name it. The ranch owner is extatic. He is more excited than the hunter. He keeps going on and on about how big he is and that he has to be a record.
The rancher looks at him and asks "how are you going to have him mounted? Life size or shoulder mount?" And the hunter replies "I'm not going to have that nasty stinking thing mounted. We can throw him away for all I care" :0 !!!
Wrong thing to say!!!!
It got ugly quick after that and he was ordered to pack his stuff and leave the ranch now,as in like yesterday now..and to NEVER come back.And he did.
All these years later it still blows my mind at how clueless this guy was!!!

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 11-16-2013 at 03:07 AM..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #191
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

That video is freakin' hilarious! I saw it a few yrs ago and fell out laughing. The dude walking back to the truck is the best part LOL!
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #192
chrisgunguy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking.....

A few years ago I was a guest on a ranch that one of our tooling vendors had just bought. They had three of us from work come out to help with the culling off of deer before they started restocking it with trophy animals. The rules were to take a mature whitetail or axis doe each and any hogs/predators. We were told that doe with tags were fair game and were the oldest deer on the place. I was the only one who brought a bow. Everyone else brought rifles. There were three or four other customers there along with the three of us. With me being the odd man out they take me and drop me off first to the only stand with a bow blind. Because I was dropped off first and early I missed the "exception" comment about doe with tag #101 was off limits being the ranch pet. Well you see where this is going.......feeder goes off and deer come flooding in. Some amazing young bucks and even some axis about 30yds behind the feeder. I've got my video up and running waiting yor the axis to commit when this big beautiful doe without babies steps into my video frame at 15yds. I decided why not. I absolutely hammered her and got amazing footage of her gushing blood and going down on video. Was a thing of beauty. I stayed put waiting to be picked up and even managed to hammer a pig right at last light. The guide had picked up all the hunters before he got to me. I had the pig and doe there with me when he got there. He saw #101 there about the same time my co workers did and they all look up at me with this WTH? face. I'm on cloud nine and oblivious to the incriminating stares when one of the other guests says......."he wasn't there for the warning not to shoot her". The guide has a laugh says oh well and we loaded up and went to camp. The new owners were present and they held no hard feelings. They even watched the video.

Last edited by chrisgunguy; 11-16-2013 at 09:06 AM..
chrisgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #193
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lease less

Keep em comin
WildMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #194
Aaron who?
Four Point

Hunt In: Blanco County, western Hays County

"Integrity means doing the right thing, even when no one is watching."

There's nothing wrong with an *honest* mistake, we've all been there. But some of these stories of intentional and selfish rule breaking blow my mind. This is why we are careful who we invite out to the property. Excellent thread fellas.
Aaron who? is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #195
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

I no longer hunt with a friend of mine because he never adheres to gun safety and the last time we went out we had an agreement. We had one gun between us and the rule was whoever saw the deer first got to shoot. Well, he was carrying the gun. I saw the deer and pointed it out. He said where. I said there. Gun comes up, deer in scope, boom!! To make it worse, he rushed the shot and missed he deer. I walked to the car and went home.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #196
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Few years ago on my ex FILs ranch, I had a beautiful 9 I'd been going after with the bow for a few years. He was smart, never hit feeders, and I had him patterned that year. Set up a lock on at the intersection of two of his trails and was ready to take him that night.

Each year we had the biologist do a survey and give us numbers for what to shoot. That year we were to take 8 does and 4 mature shooter bucks. 3 bucks and 1 doe had been taken, and the rules were nobody but me was to take a buck, since I was the only bow hunter and finally had a good shot at my nemesis.

I went out for the hunt, and my exes aunt went out for "just pigs", and her uncle and cousin went out for does. Sat for a while and I knew my 9 would be passing through in the next 15 minutes or so and heard a shot. Never did see him and headed back to camp.

As I rolled up to the barn, I see 3 bucks on the skinning rack. The cousin took an 11, the uncle a 10, and her aunt who went out for pigs had shot my 9. I asked where she saw him and sure enough, he was on his way to my setup.

I was heartbroken, ex FIL was furious that after being told no bucks, they had taken 3. They were mad at him for being mad cause it was "just deer" and there were "plenty more out there"
PSD Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #197
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Some of these stories (like PSDRyans) make me shake my head in disbelief of what people will knowingly do when being told straight up not to.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #198
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

I bet most of us do not have a list of folks that we would share a lease with, but instead we have a list of those who would not be on it
Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #199
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

PSD Ryan - that comment from the group - not understanding why anybody was mad because they are "just deer and there are plenty more out there" sums up the attitude that causes alot of these problems. It is often hard to make a non deer hunter "get it" when it comes to management practices. They figure it's like when they are dove hunting - "hey, there's a dove, and I'm dove hunting" so, BOOM! Now they are deer hunting, so it's "hey, there's a deer and I'm deer hunting" so, BOOM! I think alot of times when they deliberately break the rules they have decided to go by the old saying "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" What they find out though, is there is no forgiveness when it comes to breaking the deer rules on purpose. They just can't understand how seriously we take it...
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #200
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
In 1989 I was guiding/hunting on a ranch north of Burnet(14,000 acres).I was ask to help guide a big corporate group from Houston and do some skinning. I could also do a little hunting. This particular ranch had a good population of aoudad sheep and some good ones too. This is what I would be after. We'll the corporate big wig great white hunters showed up that night from Houston. We where setting around the lodge talking about different animals and watching a Mike Tyson fight when aoudad sheep came up. Well one of the big wigs just had to shoot a big one. That's all he talked about for the next day and a half. Finally the ranch owner ask me to put him on some sheep as he was a very good customer in the corporate world. So I did. This guy shot a 35" sheep(Biggest I've personally seen to this day). A monster. We load him up and head in. I'm dumbfounded at his size. We'll we get there(skinning area)it's dark and the celebration begins at the skinning rack. Back slaps,high fives you name it. The ranch owner is extatic. He is more excited than the hunter. He keeps going on and on about how big he is and that he has to be a record.
The rancher looks at him and asks "how are you going to have him mounted? Life size or shoulder mount?" And the hunter replies "I'm not going to have that nasty stinking thing mounted. We can throw him away for all I care" :0 !!!
Wrong thing to say!!!!
It got ugly quick after that and he was ordered to pack his stuff and leave the ranch now,as in like yesterday now..and to NEVER come back.And he did.
All these years later it still blows my mind at how clueless this guy was!!!
So....whatever happened to it?