Gus Engling postcard hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engling postcard hunt

I was just notified that my dad and I were drawn for the whitetail hunt sept 30 - oct 4. Looking for help . Anyone been before, how was it , tips , what area would you recommend .
    Also curious what i should look for a good buck in this area should I be able to fill the two doe tags required to get a buck tag
    Thank y'all.
    Last edited by Buck Verde; 09-19-2013, 01:33 PM. Reason: Add question

Never been but I got drawn for the TPWD archery draw hunt at the end of Oct. Please let me know how it goes for you and your dad. Good luck!

Comment

This will be my 5 time to hunt G.E. I love the place. All of the areas seem to be pretty good. They have a good deer herd and also some stud bucks there. You can look at the photo album when you get there. They will cover what type of buck they expect you to shoot after killing your does. They go by ear width not 13" they will tell you that the ears on their deer are about 15" so make sure he is wider than his ears. Not sure what truck we are taking but I will let you know and maybe we can chat a little.

Comment

I haven't hunted it in probably 10 plus years. It can be tuff to hunt as it is public land but it is mostly hardwoods with creeks and gentle hills mixed in. I think its best to find the best sign you can find and try to stick with it. You will really need a morning spot and an evening spot. Ask for help from those that have hunted it recently or that work there as that is where and how I shot my first public land deer. Good luck and I hope you stick something.

Comment

I'll be there as well. I got the call today. He told me that I wasn't picked at first but a group that was drawn cancelled. I was next in line!
          I hunted Gus Engeling last year and had a real good hunt. I shot a hog, a little cull 3 point, and a decent 8 point. I could have shot several does but I wanted a buck. I can't tell you what area because I would like to hunt it again.
          My best advice would be use a climbing tree stand and hunt where the deer are eating. There are a lot of nice straight trees all around but most folks use a ground blind. The deer know to look for ground blinds.
          This WMA is HEAVILY hunted so the deer are smart. Last year, with all hunts combined, they had about 444 hunters. It will be real nice getting first crack at em this year!
          Good luck and see you there!

Comment

By the way. As you will find out, the staff and facilities out there are first rate! Great people running it and this AWESOME walk in cooler to hang your deer until you can butcher them.

Comment

Is this in addittion to the TPWD draw hunts?

Comment

Yes. It is only for Annual Public Hunting permit holders.

Comment

Palehorse I see you are from my neck of the woods.
                  We will have to meet in person on the 28th.
                  Are you familiar with Cowboy Charters in Freeport?

Comment

Originally posted by kutnchute View Post
                    Palehorse I see you are from my neck of the woods.
                    We will have to meet in person on the 28th.
                    Are you familiar with Cowboy Charters in Freeport?
                    I've seen the signs on 332 coming into Surfside next to the Mexican restaraunt. Is that where your talkin about?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking forward to hunting a new part of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                        I've seen the signs on 332 coming into Surfside next to the Mexican restaraunt. Is that where your talkin about?
                        My son is a Capt. for Cowboy Charters they operate out of Bridge Bait. He will be on the hunt with me. He is in my avitar with his Richland Creek buck from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by kutnchute View Post
                          My son is a Capt. for Cowboy Charters they operate out of Bridge Bait. He will be on the hunt with me. He is in my avitar with his Richland Creek buck from last year.
                          That is a brute!! Great buck anywhere!!

Comment

We got drawn too, will look for you at the orientation

Should be by compartment

Heard any legal means, which means orange and guns

Kind of feel sorry for the bowhunters but they usually open it up to squirrel hunting prior to the bowhunts anyway I think

Comment

The biologist told me today that they are not sure if they are doing compartments or just turning everybody loose. I would prefer compartments myself. And yes I will be wearing orange and carrying a Remington. Good chance this is my only hunt this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X