Texas Public Hunting Rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Public Hunting Rigs

I've hunted public land a few times and am planning to this year as well. I've been using a climber stand but seldom find a tree to use that is small enough in diameter...

I am looking at switching to either a ladder stand with wheels or a hanging stand and climbing sticks...

I was hoping to get some input and preferably some pics of setups from those of you who pack in and out regularly to pub lands...

Thanks!

My brother found some pretty cool telescoping ladder stands. They have back pack straps and are only about 4 feet long when stowed. Pretty light weight too!

Comment

Do you know which brand he has?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
        X2

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
          I have been looking myself... Here is one I stumbled on too on YouTube...

One thing ladder stand hunters constantly contend with is the instability of the ladder stand during the initial climb to affix the top ratchet straps. One f...

Comment

Saw this one too, I wonder how long and easy/difficult it would be to set up in the dark...

Comment

I've had the best success with carrying in a small lightweight hang-on and a bag of strap on steps. The bag of steps straps to the stand which I carry on my back with a golf bag strap. Set-up and takedown only takes a few minutes and there's no metal ladder sections to clang together while in transport. I've also used a ladder with wheels but again, its more noisy getting into the woods with.

HG

Comment

Anyone ever try just using a rope ladder with a hang-on. Ive been wanting to play around with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                  Anyone ever try just using a rope ladder with a hang-on. Ive been wanting to play around with that.
                  How would you hang it?

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
                    I've had the best success with carrying in a small lightweight hang-on and a bag of strap on steps. The bag of steps straps to the stand which I carry on my back with a golf bag strap. Set-up and takedown only takes a few minutes and there's no metal ladder sections to clang together while in transport. I've also used a ladder with wheels but again, its more noisy getting into the woods with.

HG
                    Pics if you don't mind... I feel like the one on the video I posted is way to big... I am looking for something that will get me into small trees and is very light weight...

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                      How would you hang it?
                      Throw a long lead rope up over a V or strong branch in a tree and pull it up and tie it off. Use some straps to secure it to the tree on the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                        Throw a long lead rope up over a V or strong branch in a tree and pull it up and tie it off. Use some straps to secure it to the tree on the way up.
                        I guess that could work as long as you could see enough (mornings would be tough). Also might limit your tree selection.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                          I guess that could work as long as you could see enough (mornings would be tough). Also might limit your tree selection.
                          Maybe. But may be worth playing around with. If I ever get around to it, Ill post pics.

Comment

No pics it's still in the garage I've got a 12ft ladder stand with 2 bicycle wheels on the back side of the top of the sitting area I put each wheel on its on bolt that I just have secured to a rail with a bolt clamps and then I have the wheel held to the bolt with a wing nut so you can pull em off easily if the stand won't sit flush on the tree with them on. If it helps picture a horse and buggy you're the horse but the cool thing is you can use the ladder as a game cart to carry your bow and gear in and also you can truck your deer out of the woods. I also have a nice lil dog house pop up blind lots of room easy to set up. Feel free to pm me if you have any ?s on the stand

Comment

The only disadvantage of the ladder stand with wheels is if the area is rough you would be fighting getting it in. With a lock-on/step combo strapped to your back you could go almost anywhere even if its rough country or lots briars etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X