Hogboy takes down Ric Flair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogboy takes down Ric Flair

What a great hunt this weekend. Benben and I pulled the trailcam pics Saturday morning and saw 3 or 4 different hogs that were coming into the feeders on a regular basis. One of the regulars was a real good looking boar with long white hair and spots. I called him Ric Flair and sure wanted to get an arrow in him. If there is such a thing as a pretty pig, this was it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ric Flair tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	24961676

I climbed into Grandpa’s stand about 6:30 that evening and Deadeyedeb text me about 7:30 to let me know she made it out and was sitting in the gate stand. I knew one of us had a good chance to see some of the visitors coming in at dusk. As soon as darkness set in, I had a pig working his way into the feeder. And the stars are aligning, it's Ric Flair. I could make out his white form pretty well as he must have ate for 5 minute facing straight to me. Finally he got turned sideways, and I drew my bow, trying to pick him up in the peep sight. I lit him up with the green light, settled the pin, and touched the release.
    The nocturnal lit and the Beaman tipped with the new Toxic broadhead slammed into him. He stumbled a little bit, then just walked off and I could see the lighted nock thrashing around under a cedar bush. I gave him a few minutes, then climbed down only to find 16” of arrow and nock laying under the bush, but no Ric Flair.

In the meantime, Deb had text saying she had a nice boar down within sight, so I decided to give the pig some time and go help with hers , before starting the track. Here’s the link to her bowkill. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=371069 The blood trail for my pig was pretty spotty. We ran out of blood about 100 yards into the track, so decided to hang it up and come look again the next day.
    Sunday morning we started looking at the last blood we marked. Finding nothing we continued searching the trails leading away from the mark. It’s pretty thick cover in this area so as I’m working my way through the brush, I look off to my left and there he lay, 8-10 yards off the trail, and looking straight at me. I had the XD40 out and as soon as I tried to put one in his head, he exploded out of there, and came straight down the trail at me. Pop, pop, I squeezed off 2 more shots and he flopped over less than 10 feet from me. Talk about pucker factor, I was on an adrenaline rush for 2 hours after that. I have chased a lot of pigs in the last 16 years, and this is the first time I have ever really been charged. It sure makes me reconsider crawling through the thick if I’m looking for a big pig that’s been arrowed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary and Ric Flair boar tbh.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	24961677

Ric was actually still quartering toward me when I shot, so the arrow got a little lung, liver, and stomach. It’s hard to believe that pig could lay there all night with 11 inches of arrow and broadhead in his stomach and still want to get up and eat me the next morning. The beast that looked like a 300 pounder when he was charging me, ended up weighing 144 lbs.

Big thanks to Deadeyedeb and Benben for coming out and all the greenscreeners for coming along for the read.

Hogboy

Congrats love a spotted hog !!!

Comment

great recap and pics there HOGBOY !!! That IS a pretty looking pig !!! hahaha Have always like the spotted ones... Do like the coloration of that one.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Sweet hog, congrats!!!

Comment

Stylin' and profilin'...congrats.

Comment

Cool Hog...Congrats.

Comment

Love shooting those oreos~
                Congrats on getting him down before he got you down!

Comment

Great write-up, congratulations !

Comment

Way to go Gary.Ric Flair.that's awesome.WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DJ

Comment

It was/is so much fun hunting with you. Really glad we didn't happen on him the night before as I didn't have but a knife on me and that was a pocket knife at that time!!!!
                      Talk about adrenaline rush, Gary was shaking after shooting him Sun am he was shaking so much, I think if he was serving martini's and you wanted yours stirred not shaken, you woulda got it shaken anyways!!!!!!
                      To great boars that were causing alot of damage are in the books and pics soon to help fill the wall!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats amigo hogboy!!

Ray

Comment

Congrats nice.

Comment

Congrats- now throw those broadheads away

Comment

Congratulations
                              Thanks and nice write up

Comment

Working...