Kestrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kestrel

Boy these little guys are tough to get close to. This one hung around "just" long enough...

Kestrel by johnmagera, on Flickr

Really cool pic. I live in north Texas. I have not ever noticed or seen this bird. Beautiful creature.

Comment

Great pic! They're awesome little raptors! Fun to fly on all sorts of different birds and grasshoppers!

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Very cool pic. I have seen one pin a dove to the ground and proceed to eat it while it was a live....and they say hunters are cruel.

Comment

Nice pic.what camera did you use?

Comment

Thanks. That was with my Canon 7D and Tamron 150-600 (at 600, f8). He let me walk up to him "just" close enough for this shot, then he took off. He was about 25 yards away.

Kestrels are one of the most beautiful of all our raptors. And their behavior is exquisite - "kiting" in mid-air over their prey and then diving down to capture them.

Love these little birds. Just wish they were a little less skittish!

Comment

John that is simply a beautiful, detailed shot of a very skittish bird. I am amazed that you were able to get so close. Well done.

Comment

Thanks Bill. I know you know how leery they are of people, vehicles, etc. This guy has been hanging around the parking area where I work, and I guess he's gotten used to seeing us come and go from our vehicles. I'll be keeping an eye out for him this winter.

Comment

Looks like the Kestrel flew the scene and took the photo with it.

Comment

Whoops. Sorry. Durn Flickr.

kestrel by johnmagera, on Flickr

Comment

Great pic

Comment

He came back! Excellent image of this usually skittish bird. That is nice detail without being so close you can count nose hairs.

Comment

Nice pic!!

Comment

Thanks. I kinda wish the light wasn't so direct. I actually prefer bird photos when there is some overcast, so there isn't so much contrast between the light and shadow areas. But the direct late-afternoon light did really make him stand out!

Comment

Working...
                              X