Stinky well water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky well water?

My house is on a well that was drilled about 40 years ago. Historically the water has always been high in calcium and other minerals that cause build up. Occasionally we would get a strong smell of sulfur, but it was never constant. We had Culligan service the filters. I was never sure if these filters were actually working or not. Several months ago we did away with Culligan and installed a Nuvo filter and softener. The corrosion seems to be under control, but the smell is out of control. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the filter switch or not, but I have to figure something out.

Has anyone been able to resolve similar issues?

If you have a tank water heater take the anode rod out of it.

Comment

our well water has sulfur - cured it by having water pumped into a a 1000 gallon tank - the smell diffuses and the water now smells great

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        If you have a tank water heater take the anode rod out of it.

This... or replace anode rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
          our well water has sulfur - cured it by having water pumped into a a 1000 gallon tank - the smell diffuses and the water now smells great
          This or an aerator are usually the best way of getting rid of the sulfur smell that I’ve seen.

Comment

My neighbors water started stinking a while back. They had concrete holding take with a small inspection lid on it.. come to find out their 10 year old threw a cat in it and it rotted in the tank. Luckily they didnt get sick..

Comment

We had this issue and several people told me different ways to easily fix it.

One was to deal with the anode on the water heater.
              One was to turn the water heater all the way up for a short period of time and then set it a little higher than you previously had it.
              The last one was to put bleach through your system periodically. You need to be careful if you do this.

Comment

Chlorine injection

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                  My neighbors water started stinking a while back. They had concrete holding take with a small inspection lid on it.. come to find out their 10 year old threw a cat in it and it rotted in the tank. Luckily they didnt get sick..
                  When I was a kid the well water tasted nasty, cleaned the cement tank out
                  Couple of dead squirrels and some dead birds later it did taste a little better

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    We had this issue and several people told me different ways to easily fix it.

One was to deal with the anode on the water heater.
                    One was to turn the water heater all the way up for a short period of time and then set it a little higher than you previously had it.
                    The last one was to put bleach through your system periodically. You need to be careful if you do this.
                    Thanks for the comments. The anodes have been out of the water heaters. I have thought about the tank but was hoping there was an easier solution.

Comment

Originally posted by jmach View Post
                      Thanks for the comments. The anodes have been out of the water heaters. I have thought about the tank but was hoping there was an easier solution.

A holding/settling tank is the cheapest solution. The sulfur smell is a gas, if the water is allowed to settle in a holding tank the gas will naturally dissipate into the atmosphere.

Comment

I'm on a well and we had great tasting water and no smell for a couple of years and then we started getting the smell of sulfur. We tried a bunch of things to get rid of the smell from the well water but nothing worked. We had culligan come out and test and they found out that even though it smelled like sulfur, the smell was actually coming from algae build in the house lines. We added a chlorinator to the systems and you should have seen all black crap(Algae) come out of the faucets, it was so bad we had to keep cleaning all the filters at the faucets every few days for several months. We have not had any issues since then. This probably isn't your issue but is a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                          A holding/settling tank is the cheapest solution. The sulfur smell is a gas, if the water is allowed to settle in a holding tank the gas will naturally dissipate into the atmosphere.
                          How does it dissipate to the atmosphere in a closed system? Are you taking about pumping it into an open tank, then pump it to the house?

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                            I'm on a well and we had great tasting water and no smell for a couple of years and then we started getting the smell of sulfur. We tried a bunch of things to get rid of the smell from the well water but nothing worked. We had culligan come out and test and they found out that even though it smelled like sulfur, the smell was actually coming from algae build in the house lines. We added a chlorinator to the systems and you should have seen all black crap(Algae) come out of the faucets, it was so bad we had to keep cleaning all the filters at the faucets every few days for several months. We have not had any issues since then. This probably isn't your issue but is a possibility.
                            Chlorinator takes care of a lot of issues.

Comment

It's a bacteria that causes the smell.
                              Dump some bleach down in it and it willl be fine

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X