Stand and Fill question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand and Fill question

Im about to change to stand and fill feeders. Have any of you had a deer you wanted to harvest hide behind the feeder? Giving no shot opportunity? Is this a concern?

Nope. If anything it gives you a great time to draw while their head is hidden behind the feeder. When deer know you are there they want to watch you, therefore they won’t hide behind the feeder. Yes it gets in the way sometimes, but not enough to matter.

Comment

Never been an issue for me.

Comment

Sure it can happen....but you could also fall from you feeder ladder and break your neck.

You give and you take and work around it..

I know it never even figured into me changing over myself. The ease and safety of filling far outweighs the off chance you get no shot because there is a small chance a deer might hide behind your feeder and never present another shot.
        Last edited by Smart; 06-04-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

No issues here.

Comment

If that’s a concern you can get a directional stand and fill.

Comment

Only thing I can see might happen is shooting a buck with his head under the feeder and him hitting and breaking off some tines on the cage .

Comment

You had to bring this up. I had a huge 8 pt. feed and leave, feed and leave for over an hour, all on the other side of a feeder. It was an invite hunt so never got another chance at him and he was a real dandy.

Comment

Get a Krivoman directional feeder, problem solved

Comment

Have had pigs stand behind it and not give me a shot, only had to wait a couple more minutes for him to move. Wouldn’t have a crankup again if you gave it to me

Comment

Had many deer behind the feeder but they always end up giving me a shot at some point. I guess it could happen though, but personally not a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It takes a little getting used to. It was like have a refrigerator sitting in my feed pen.
                        No, in the 2 or 3 yrs ive had mine no deer have "hid" behind it. I can see a buck coming in from the rear and leaving without giving you a shot, but I wouldn't focus on that. Most will give you a shot.

Comment

Dat how harvestin' go

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Sure it can happen....but you could also fall from you feeder ladder and break your neck.

You give and you take and work around it..

I know it never even figured into me changing over myself. The ease and safety of filling far outweighs the off chance you get no shot because there is a small chance a deer might hide behind your feeder and never present another shot.

Well said. Also, I try not to kill animals in the feed pen if at all possible. A few years ago my son was filling a feeder on our old lease. The pulley failed and the entire feeder crashed to the ground. Luckily, my son was far enough away from it that he wasn't injured. He could have been easily killed by that falling feeder. We switched to stand and fill feeders after that and have been very happy with them.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

It has happened to me 2-3 times on bucks I was after this last season. especially if the deer know something is up but not sure what, they will always eat the corn in the backside first. Most of the stand and fills now have a deflector tray under the feeder to keep feed from falling directly under. Then you can cover the back side of the feeder with some sheet metal and most of the corn will be thrown on the front 3 sides. Or like Said above get a directional. I’m slowly transitioning every feeder I own to stand and fill, it’s the only way to go imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X