No announcement yet.

Sharp knife addicts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-sharp. Maybe not the ultimate but **** close. Convenience and speed are worth the compromise in my opinion.

Comment

I just buy a new knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
        I just buy a new knife.

That’s funny- most guys won’t admit it but that’s exactly what they do.

My ol man made us sharpen everything ourselves from knives to chainsaw blades, axes, mower blades etc.... once you get the idea it ain’t hard.

But I understand why you might jus go get another $40 knife. Time is a valuable commodity.

Comment

Sharp knife addicts

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
          That’s funny- most guys won’t admit it but that’s exactly what they do.

My ol man made us sharpen everything ourselves from knives to chainsaw blades, axes, mower blades etc.... once you get the idea it ain’t hard.

But I understand why you might jus go get another $40 knife. Time is a valuable commodity.

I made a post on another site a recently gave away 105 knifes to a posters kid. I work for a uniform company and I give the guys who wash the clothes $5 to $20 bucks and they give me several at a time. I still have close to 100 and I have a spyderco sharpmaker for the 20 I rotate but rarely use it because I’ll usually buy a new spyderco once a year or so for a pocket knife and use an outdoor edge to skin with. I also donate and get those RMEF skinning knife sets that seem to stacking up at the ranch that I use.

Last edited by Black Ice; 03-08-2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
            I have the exact same set up, although I rarely use it now. Pretty sure these fit it:
            V-Sharp Classic I Replacement Hones. Sold in pair/set Available in 4 different grits 270 Grit - Extra Coarse 325 Grit – Coarse 600 Grit – Medium 1000 Grit – Fine

I bought a Wicked Edge system when they said they weren't going to be making anything for my Warthog, then a while back they had them again..
            I have to take back the negative things I said abour Warthog. Aparently they are now supporting the V-Sharp Classic I. They have all three grades of stones on their USA website and I was able to order the coarse stones from Amazon. Made my day. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Most knife sharpener gadgets like a WorkSharp will quickly ruin a good blade if you don't watch out and unless you really know how to use them properly.
              I sharpen my blades freehand on my 2x72 belt grinder using 3M Trizact belts of 65, 20, 16 and 6 grits over an 8" solid rubber wheel. I then finish polish the edge on an 8" hard felt wheel on my bench grinder with pink compound. If I can't dry shave with the blade it ain't sharp enough
              For touch up I only use the Trizact 6 grit and felt buffer.
              In an emergency field touch up, a dressed hard Arkansas 8000 or 10000 grit stone or a 2500 grit ceramic rod is best for me. It only takes 3 to 4 light strops to bring them back to shaving unless you have chipping or edge rolling.
              IF you know how, you can get a very sharp blade using the WorkSharp without ruining the blade tip but it takes a good bit of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                I have to take back the negative things I said abour Warthog. Aparently they are now supporting the V-Sharp Classic I. They have all three grades of stones on their USA website and I was able to order the coarse stones from Amazon. Made my day. Thanks for the heads up!
                Good to know! I have a Classic as well that I love but I couldn't find new rods either.

Comment

FYI, in an emergency you can strop a blade back to near shaving edge on a piece of corrugated brown cardboard laying on a flat surface. Just strop it like you would on a regular leather strop.

Comment

^

Comment

Working...
                    X