No announcement yet.

Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both great engines... I have always been a V8 guy but I've had my ecoboost for over a year and love it.

Comment

I have a 2018 5.0 with 8000 miles and am not too impressed so far. MPG are 15-16 90% highway and it lacks much get up and go. The transmission is rough to say the least and hard shifts on a regular basis but it may be a lemon.

Comment

The ecoboost engines create a good amount of power. Even the little 4 cylinder 2.3l ecoboost in the base Mustang's produce 310hp and torque is 350@ 3000rpm.

Comment

I have a 2016 2.7L Eco. It's a 4 door, 4wd, XL. It's a commuter 90% of the time. I've taken through some super sold sand on the beach and offroaded to several kayak fishing launches. It's been fine in the limited mud it's seen. No complaints so far. I haven't reset one of my trip meters and it's at 21.2 mpg over 38k miles. The other trip meter is at 21.5 over the last several thousand miles. I don't tow, I don't do anything too wild in it. It's pretty much a dad-mobile to get the family to the beach and where ever else we want to go whether on or off the pavement.

Comment

I'd go with Eco. Lots of get up compared to the 5.0 I have now.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
              I have a 2018 5.0 with 8000 miles and am not too impressed so far. MPG are 15-16 90% highway and it lacks much get up and go. The transmission is rough to say the least and hard shifts on a regular basis but it may be a lemon.
              I've had a very similar experience. Mine only has 3200 miles, but I'm averaging 15.5. I liked the Eco I had before much better.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSpray View Post
                5.0 all the way. I have a 2013 with 165,000 with only a few minor issues that have been addressed on the newer models. 5.0 is solid with 15-18 mpg with a leveling kit, extra leave springs on the back, 285 tires and replacement bumpers on front and back. My opinion is the eco boost has too many bells and whistles and not designed for any modifications
                The eco has tons of mods available.

Comment

Good thread. I was going to post the same question and found this one. I'm going back to a F150 when I sell my Cummins.

Comment

I had a 3.5 eco and loved it. pulled trailers very well. Probably would still have it if my needs hadn't changed. We have a few at work and for the most part they have been reliable. I keep my trucks a long time and honestly got a little worried if I towed as often as I was with decent load for a half ton it would not hold up. It may have lasted couple hundred thousand miles for all I know but repairs can get expensive in a hurry when its not a naturally aspirated engine. Same reason I went with the 6.2 in my F250 vs the diesel. Miss the power sometimes but it does what I need it to do and hopefully wont have the repair bills that come with those new diesels once they are out of warranty. just using the fuel system on the 6.7 as an example is over 10k. My dad has had several ecos and went back to a 5.0 this time and says he likes it and gets decent mileage but liked the eco better when towing or loaded down with anything

Comment

I had a 2015 work truck with the 5.0 and my personal is a 2015 Eco. I prefer the Eco by far... not even a comparison. Nothing wrong with the 5.0 but the Eco is fun to drive.

Comment

The Robersons have three different 3.5 Ecoboost engines in three FX4 models. No problems in any of them and mileage is around 18 on the average if I don't drive 75-80 mph. I pull an enclosed trailer that weighs 5,000 lbs. empty with no problems. I also put mine in more rugged country than any of you will ever see unless you hunt lions in the Navajo Nation.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

The 2012 5.0 I had got 16.5 mpg and I sold it at 180k with very few issues. Biggest thing was O2 sensors and that was after 160k.

The 2018 gets 19.5 to 20 mpg. I should clarify that on the road with no idling it gets 21/22 mpg. It pulls my Ranger on a heavy 12' trailer plus 1,000 lb. of corn with no problems. It gets around 14mpg doing that.

No experience with the Eco-boost other than when I bought the 2012 my dealer advised against it.
                          Last edited by Drycreek3189; 07-06-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

have worked for ford for 9 years as a tech, eco boost will get good mileage if you stay out of it you drive it hard the mileage goes way down, dove a 18 5.0 4x4 to ford training in Lewisville got over 20 mpg the week I drove it, eco boost come in a lot with misses do lots of tune ups.

hope this helps good luck on your choice.

Comment

2015 3.5EB with 78k. So far so good. Not so much as a hiccup, and the low rpm power band is great for fun and towing.

Comment

What kind of towing capacity do the ecos have?

Comment

Working...
                                X