Will Executor Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Executor Costs

Just curious as to what those of you who have been a recipient in a will had paid an executor to execute the will.

The recipient does not have the will probated. The Executor does...but they are one and the same.

The costs can vary between attorneys, so I will let them answer that. Generally, in Texas, probate is a simple process for simple wills and aren't (generally) expensive to probate. I have seen them done for $600, and I have seen them sone for several thousand.

Comment

$500
      Shutt Law Firm is a leading estate planning and probate law firm in Richardson, TX, serving thousands of clients in Dallas County, Collin County, Tarrant County, Rockwall County, Grayson County, and Ellis County. Our highly experienced Richardson Texas Estate Planning attorneys earned an excellent reputation for Trusts, Probate, Elder Law, Asset Protection, Last Will and Testament, Business Formation, and Guardianship.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        The recipient does not have the will probated. The Executor does...but they are one and the same.

The costs can vary between attorneys, so I will let them answer that. Generally, in Texas, probate is a simple process for simple wills and aren't (generally) expensive to probate. I have seen them done for $600, and I have seen them sone for several thousand.
        Originally posted by texansfan View Post

So basically what you’re telling me is that $25,000 is excessive. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          Depends on the size and the complexity of the estate. I have seen an estate where a $100k executor fee was not excessive in my opinon.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
            Depends on the size and the complexity of the estate. I have seen an estate where a $100k executor fee was not excessive in my opinon.
            I could maybe see that in something crazy.

This one is very simple and we aren’t talking millions here at all. No even a home involved.

Comment

Are you saying you were quoted that fee?

What is the size of the estate, and what are the primary assets if no home? Any other real estate? A business involved?

Comment

What is the size of the estate, and what are the primary assets if no home? Any other real estate? A business involved?
                I think he’s referring to the fee the executor is asking for his/her services as executor.

Comment

Total accounts about $800K and a large building in Longview that has been leased for years by the city, also a little land.

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                  I think he’s referring to the fee the executor is asking for his/her services as executor.
                  Yes, I’m referring to the executor fee for their services.

To make it clear, the executor is a family member. I have a feeling we are going to have a SHTF moment before long.

Comment

Not if you have a multi-million dollar estate with all types of assets

Comment

Yeah, sorry. I misread the question. Imagine that!

Comment

We had my mom’s done for about $1,400. It was a turnkey job for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gbird View Post
                          We had my mom’s done for about $1,400. It was a turnkey job for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          He is talking about the Executor's fee, not attorney fees, as I originally thought.

Sleepy, in my experience, most family members who are also heirs do not charge a fee to settle the estate, but if the will allows it (most will allow a "reasonable" fee) it can be justified based on the complexity of the estate and the amount of time to settle it.

Comment

3.125% seems like a reasonable fee. On $800k, that's $25k. $25,000 sounds like a lot of money. Being family members adds a layer. I've been the executor on two family estates, nothing of the size you're talking about. All i can say is "good luck".

Comment

Maybe Sleepy is the executor and he's trying to make a little more bank

Comment

Working...
                              X