Any ac guys out there? Dilemma need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ac guys out there? Dilemma need opinions

We are looking into getting a new ac system since ours is 20 something years old. We got a few quotes and we're indecisive between two companies (we had four quotes and none did the manual J test). Our house was built in the 80s, with brick walls. Single panel windows. Attic only has the blown in insulation. Original ac is a 4 ton and seer (replaced 10 yrs ago) is a 10. 2400 sf two story house. No zone or damper in the ducts. One company wants to install a 4 ton with a 14 seer while the other wants to put in a 5 ton with a 15 seer (2nd option is 1,000 cheaper). What do you guys recommend?

Does the 4 ton you have now cool it or did it cool it well? An oversized unit can cause issues and without a load calculation it would be tough to guess.

Comment

It does cool, but bill is a little over 300 during the high peak. It seems to run longer every year. Plus, it feels like the upstairs is always about 5-10 degrees warmer

Comment

Get a 3rd opinion...see if it matches either of the others... 2 out of 3 ......

Comment

3rd opinion said 5 ton 15 seer and
          4th opinion said 4 ton 14 seer

Comment

What brands? Also I would look at a damper system for upstairs and downstairs zones. Control each level separate. If it’s in your budget complete variable speed systems are the cats meow. Hard to beilieve a 4 ton would maintain temp during the 102 degree days in San Antonio on that size house but a lot of factors as far as heat loads and what effects them.

Comment

IMO, don't change anything with the system yet. Your electric bill will still be high, relatively speaking, if you don't help the system do its job. I would keep my money for now and try to do home upgrades and a complete system change-out. I mean everything included with the A/C system. (Ductwork, vents, equipment, etc)
              First I highly recommend you upgrade windows, doors, insulation, etc. (if you haven't already) Anything that can help with heat transfer from outside to inside.
              You will always have a hotter up stairs if the system isn't properly installed/zoned with all living space. I would get several more quotes to have all things upgraded. It will be more initial cost but a savings in the long run if you plan on staying in your house.

Comment

We're going to try a new unit first before we go forward with a damper system. Was quoted $3,500 for that.
                The 5 ton 15 seer was Rudd and the 4 ton 14 seer is Carrier

Comment

Dont know what size but we.got a Bryant. My a/c.guy is one of my old crew at the fire station and he said carrier and american standard are both junk.

Comment

We will, in the future, insulate the attic properly and change all windows to double pane. That stuff is pricey. Lol

Comment

Carrier/American Standard/Trane are top quality residential machines. I wouldn't settle for any others if you want a 20 yr unit. I would assume 500sqft/ton to check the math of the AC guys. I would select the smaller unit tonnage wise also if you end up in between. At peak design days in the summer you want your AC to be running continuously so that it dehumidifies. The issue with oversizing your unit is that it will really short cycle on part load days, meaning the unit turns on and off frequently. This will wear out a unit faster than anything else.

Comment

How much sq ft is upstairs? It is very tough to not overwork your system to cool that space properly. A smaller system for that space should be much cheaper. Also consider Diy insulation. Rent the machine and get that done in a half day. Nothing wrong with blown insulation if you have the right amount (roughly 12 to 13 inches is what I was told).

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          IMO, don't change anything with the system yet. Your electric bill will still be high, relatively speaking, if you don't help the system do its job. I would keep my money for now and try to do home upgrades and a complete system change-out. I mean everything included with the A/C system. (Ductwork, vents, equipment, etc)
                          First I highly recommend you upgrade windows, doors, insulation, etc. (if you haven't already) Anything that can help with heat transfer from outside to inside.
                          You will always have a hotter up stairs if the system isn't properly .
                          As he stated, their is more to cooling a house than a proper AC. A home of 20 yrs of age, will take more to cool off than a more recently built home due to all of the above factors.

Comment

Since you are upgrading your system, I would look at higher efficiency. It will cost more, but there will be a definite payback on the cost difference between 14 seer, and 16+ seer. Also 16+ seer equipment is almost always 2 stage. If you zone the 2 floors later, this will help the system operate correctly, and efficiently. And like posted above, work on the envelope will make your home more efficient.

On the guy that said Carrier was not good, but Bryant was, Bryant, Payne, and Day & Night are Carrier owned companies. Carrier not being top end equipment however, is an opinion I share.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                              Since you are upgrading your system, I would look at higher efficiency. It will cost more, but there will be a definite payback on the cost difference between 14 seer, and 16+ seer. Also 16+ seer equipment is almost always 2 stage. If you zone the 2 floors later, this will help the system operate correctly, and efficiently. And like posted above, work on the envelope will make your home more efficient.

On the guy that said Carrier was not good, but Bryant was, Bryant, Payne, and Day & Night are Carrier owned companies. Carrier not being top end equipment however, is an opinion I share.
                              This is spot on. And if you have plans to ever zone it in the near future it would behoove you to get the highest efficiency you can now. That way the zoning will allow you to maximize your efficiency and comfort.

Comment

Working...
                              X