No announcement yet.

Big Bend questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info!! I have my LTC, no worries there, scratches dont scare me, I have to get a rim and full size spare though. Ill take an extra 10 gallons of gas, some firewood and fatwood to get it started. Water, food, etc. Sounds like the remoteness of the state park is where its at. I appreciate all the info. Just myself and my boy for a few days with no phones, games, people, etc is gonna be real nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Had the luxury of spending a month in the summer for my geology field camp in the Nat'l park. We actually rented cabins in Study Butte though and drove into the park each morning.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3142/ (if your interested in the geology of the certain areas you may venture into...there's a lot of neat geologic phenomenon to see!)

Comment

Plan to stay awake and star gaze. Least light polluted place in the lower 48

Comment

The Window, Santa Elena Canyon, Boquios.
          Float trip with Far Flung Adventures.

Comment

Think everyone's covered it. Have fun and stay safe. I loved it out there. Just be careful with your tires on the rocks, sometimes its fine, sometimes not.

Comment

Big Bend questions..

Be sure to hit the road to nowhere. It lives up to its' name. There are plenty of remote mines to explore. Mountain Biking is pretty popular out there. If you camp on the river you will not drive into the park on the dirt road but the river is not real remote. Here is the road to nowhere.

This is one of many mines in the Solitario region.
              I camped here one night. The green behind my tent is the Rio Grande.

They also have a bunkhouse there where you can stay at park HQ. Check TPWD for details. If it is just you and your son it may be a great experience. A map is a must. Some of the smaller trails are marked with old metal signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by thegrouse; 02-13-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Good info. My buddies and I who did Guadalupe Peak a few months ago are planning a Big Bend trip soon.

Comment

Thank you everyone! Seems like we will have to make more than one trip!!!

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
                    Had the luxury of spending a month in the summer for my geology field camp in the Nat'l park. We actually rented cabins in Study Butte though and drove into the park each morning.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3142/ (if your interested in the geology of the certain areas you may venture into...there's a lot of neat geologic phenomenon to see!)

https://engineering.purdue.edu/Strat...arts/tower.pdf
                    We also spent about a month there in geology field camp. Got to see lots of interesting things, mapped a bunch and drank mucho beer. That was a very good time in my life. I'll never forget it. Some of the time we stayed in Alpine at the old dorms at Sul Ross. Other times we camped out. That is some beautiful country.

Comment

One AWESOME place!

Comment

If you get a chance cross over to Boquillas Mexico. I went there several yrs ago. From what I understand now you need a passport but don't take my word on that.

Neat place with vendors etc. Had a hotel with a decent restaurant and ice cold beer. Use to be a guide who would show you around. Just a cool experience.

Comment

Go to the basin. Hike about three miles to the Window. Stay and watch the sunset. Hike out with a flashlight.

You will not regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going down first week of April. There is a ton of info such as maps, trip reports, campgrounds etc... on Texas Overland. A wealth of knowledge on that site.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

We decided to do the ranch state park. Booked the Fresno vista site for the first night and the Guale for the rest. It sounds more remote so I plan on going back to the National park during a less busy time. Cant wait to get on the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                                I'm going down first week of April. There is a ton of info such as maps, trip reports, campgrounds etc... on Texas Overland. A wealth of knowledge on that site.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                                See ya down there. I will be in Terlingua for Easter! Look for TBH Sticker on back of truck

Comment

Working...
                                X