Brisket smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    fat cap up and the fat will render through the meat keeping it moist over the longer cook.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This is scientifically impossible and a wives tale.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post

Love a good brisket thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        With all due respect this is a pure myth.

The fat on the outside of meat does not melt and penetrate the muscle fibers making the meat moister. That is a myth. Here's the science on different types of fat, what happens as fat heats and melts, and the best way to trim meats before cooking to create the most delicious browned bark or crust.

I do fatcap down myself because it yields a prettier and heavier bark on the flat. No grate marks and the smoke layers better when gravity helps it lay on top.
        Good to know!

I found this tid bit in your referenced article particularly interesting and probably where some of the myth got legs

But fat does help prevent water from evaporating. Evaporative cooling is what causes*the stall, a consterning phenomenon where the meat, when cooked at a low temp like 225°F, stops rising in temperature for hours because moisture evaporates and cools the surface. Hypothetically, if the entire piece of meat was covered in a thick layer of fat, no water would evaporate, there would be no stall, and there would be more water in the final product.*But water is just a part of the feeling of moisture in meat. Much of it comes from intramuscular fat and*melting collagen*from connective tissue. And the drying of the surface is part of the formation of*the tasty crust called bark.
        Rendered fat coating the outside as it renders may keep as much water from evaporating

Last edited by JonBoy; 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Went to the National BBQ and Grilling association conference today in Ft. Worth and Kent Black from Black's BBQ was there for the brisket seminar. Interestingly, they cook their briskets fatcap up and don't wrap. He didn't make any sort of emphasis that it was right or wrong but said it's what has always worked for them; 4 generations now.

Comment

I wrap after 4-5 hours of smoke and finish in an oven for a total cook time of about 12 hours but really I go until I break 185 internal temp. Then I rest it in a cooler wrapped in towels for another 12.

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
              I wrap after 4-5 hours of smoke and finish in an oven for a total cook time of about 12 hours but really I go until I break 185 internal temp. Then I rest it in a cooler wrapped in towels for another 12.
              You let the brisket rest for anther 12 hours in a cooler wrapped in towels? May I ask why?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

After the bark gets were you like it I’d wrap it to insure the rendering. Once it hits around 160 or so I’d wrap it up and after that when it hits 198 degrees I’d start checking tenderness. I do believe butcher paper may be a better choice vs foil but I haven’t done butcher paper yet. Sometimes you get a bad Brisket that will not break down very good without wrapping it. In my opinion wrapping will help to insure it turns out decent even if it was a stiff fatty brisket in the wrong places.
                Just my opinion from my exsperiaces.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by KingsX; 03-17-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                  Yep. If all that fat rendered into the meat, I wouldn't have all that fatty goodness I catch in my drip pan to put into my sauce

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                    Good to know!

I found this tid bit in your referenced article particularly interesting and probably where some of the myth got legs

Rendered fat coating the outside as it renders may keep as much water from evaporating

I know a lot of folks swear by both ways. If it works for ya, that’s all that matters.

Iv’e read this several times and in my cooking it sure seems to hold water... pun intended.
                    A lot of the moisture in the final product of a brisket comes from the break down of inner fat, muscle fibers and collagen. This is why when folks undercook a brisket, it is not only tough but is usually dry as well. This is why I and many other are adamant about pushing to 200ish. It makes sure it’s right.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                      I usually smoke mine fat side down for at least 6 hours before I wrap mine.

This site is something I’ve found to be very helpful when it comes to BBQ.

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Great article.
                      I wonder if anyone here has used the Wozniak method for serving the next day. I have a party on a Sunday around noon and they want brisket. Other than pulling an all nighter this could be an option but it frightens me a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                        Great article.
                        I wonder if anyone here has used the Wozniak method for serving the next day. I have a party on a Sunday around noon and they want brisket. Other than pulling an all nighter this could be an option but it frightens me a bit!

Yep that site is great

Comment

Working...
                        X