Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to attract more bucks and keep them around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do to attract more bucks and keep them around?

I am wanting to increase the buck population on my small lease and am trying to find different ways to attract the bigger bucks and keep them close by.

From what ive been told, the best way where my lease is, is to make sure my feeders are full year round and that will keep the does around to eventually lure more and more bucks to hang around. Apparently theres a lot of "seasonal" guys that only feed during deer season.

I am on a 160 acre tract of land and on 3 sides, I am surrounded by acres and acres of winter wheat and cotton fields. The 4th side is low fence and is not hunted, just has cattle run on it but I know theres a few groups that bed down there. Closest hunting property to me would be about half a mile away from any direction and this property has not been hunted in 2-3 years. I have a seasonal creek bed that has heavy traffic through it that I think they use as a travel corridor from bedding area to food plots.

Im toying with the idea of feeding protein but want to make sure it would be worth it or should I just stick to corn year round?

Ive had a few good bucks on camera but they are now few and far in between since early november. Consistently I will have anywhere from 6-10 does and their yearlings with them every hunt, now I just want to bring the bucks in.

I only have 1 feeder up so far, once the season ends, I plan on putting up 1 more for sure and maybe a 3rd set.

How would you approach this?

plant some Does

Comment

Vanilla corn

Comment

Feeding protein would help in the spring and summer to bring deer in and hold them during that time. One free choice protein feeder in the center of your property would probably be pretty beneficial. Unfortunately whenever the rut approaches, anything can happen.

Comment

Use one of the million deer suppliments on the market that claim to bring in more deer.

Comment

Keep human traffic to a minimum. Give them food and water so they dont have to go elsewhere. And as i like to say, Leave it alone and let it soak.

Comment

We fed protein year around on our small lease near Tilden. It definitely kept bucks closer!

Bisch

Comment

shoot a hot doe...

Seriously, I was culling does on a big ranch 2 years ago and shot a hot doe. Had three different bucks come upwind to her. One was so persistent he kept nudging her rear with his antlers and finally just laid down right next to her (this is about 10 o'clock in the morning) and stayed there waiting for her to wake up until my ride came and moved him back into the brush. I've got pictures of it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
                  Keep human traffic to a minimum. Give them food and water so they dont have to go elsewhere. And as i like to say, Leave it alone and let it soak.
                  That's what I'd do. Let the place grow up and stay out of there as much as possible.

Comment

Here they are...

Comment

Roasted soy beans by the ton. Free choice in a hog proof large pen about 100 feet in diameter. Food plot --- extra extra large 5 acres----also hog proof fenced with sweet taters, turnips, cow peas, chicory. High fence and some store bought breeder deer.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
                        shoot a hot doe...

Seriously, I was culling does on a big ranch 2 years ago and shot a hot doe. Had three different bucks come upwind to her. One was so persistent he kept nudging her rear with his antlers and finally just laid down right next to her (this is about 10 o'clock in the morning) and stayed there waiting for her to wake up until my ride came and moved him back into the brush. I've got pictures of it somewhere.
                        Thats freaking awesome/hilarious!

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                        That's what I'd do. Let the place grow up and stay out of there as much as possible.
                        Probably what I will be doing. Leaning towards doing one big feeder pen and make it an "oasis" and then hunt the travel corridors. Still depends on if my current friend will stay on and if not who will be replacing his spot.

Comment

vanilla pea gravel hand tossed while riding in a white jeep....

Comment

protein and water

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                              Thats freaking awesome/hilarious!
                              That's no joke. I've shot several bucks that way. Doubles. But not waiting quite that long.

Comment

Working...
                              X