Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
gatt40
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever
Default Elbow Pain

I have been dealing with pain in right elbow for over a year. Itís starting to effect daily activities. Couldnít pull my bow and hold it for any length of time. I have had cortisone injections, but they are short term relief if any. My doctor says that I probably wonít be able to get the injections for awhile. We have been discussing Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. This procedure involves drawing your blood and spinning it in a Centrifuge to separate the blood cells from the plasma and allows for a concentration of platelets. This is then injected into the damaged area. Suppose to jumpstart the bodies healing process. He is telling me there is like a 50/50 chance this could help. Unfortunately, the procedure is not covered under insurance and is quite expensive. Has anyone tried this therapy and what were the results?
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

I was a rep for one of the company's that started the PRP stuff several years ago. It works for some, and not others.

I have elbow pain as well and there has only been a couple things that help me. 1) Buy some VooDoo floss and learn how to wrap your elbows and work them over like a mother humper, it will hurt like heck at first, like terrible. But it gets better after a few days and much better after a few weeks. My pain was caused by weak extensors, but feel much better now. 2) Look up SmashWerx on YouTube, the guy is a stud when it comes to getting you back on the road to health. My big break through actually came when I started really stretching my biceps and it helped my elbows greatly.

I hope this helps. Some VooDoo Floss and couple lacrosse balls and some instruction and you will be able to actually fix the problem, if it is soft tissue based, and not just mask it with shots. Good luck to you!!!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
sailor
Pope & Young
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I have a Dr. appt. Friday for this exact thing......(this ain't my first rodeo)
I've been dealing with constant pain, since Jan..
Tennis elbow, I suppose.....
Iced it, heated it, cursed it, and nothing seems to help..
It's beginning to affect my beer-grip..... something, clearly has to be done....
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #4
RDT
Six Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default

I had elbow pain and used zostrix on it . for 4 or 5 days it didn't seem
to be helping , then one morning pain was all gone
RDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
DaveC
Pope & Young
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crosby,Tx
Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County
Default

Ive been seeing a sports medicine type place- Airrosti - for elbow pain.
Once an MRI proved to a bone doctor it wasnít an operable repair I sought help elsewhere.
They have me doing exercises to strengthen lower back muscles and forearm exercises that have helped tremendously.
I donít have a medical background, but if I understand correctly what they are telling me - its the muscles and ligaments pulling on the elbows causing the pain.
When I started seeing them my right elbow pain was about an eight now itís about a two. My left elbow about a seven and now a three, we are working more on it now.
Hereís an example of the exercises they have me doing.



Iím not suggesting this option is for everyone but something similar might help some of those out if your orthopedic surgeon rules out structural damage.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young
 
MQ32Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garland, Texas
Hunt In: Cisco, Texas
Default

I’m sitting in my chair now waiting to head to the hospital for a 7:15 surgical appointment for my left elbow. Been through the shot series, no permanent relief. Had my right elbow done 35 years ago and it’s still good. Hoping for the same results on my left. Bow season is just around the corner and I got to get this thing fixed.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

I had the constant pain as well. I dealt with it for about a year. Did the injections also, but those where only a temporary fix. I finally had surgery and that took care of my pain. It's been several years ago now, but I believe it was a tendon or ligament that had separated from the bone. Time was never going to heal it. I feel fine now. It took some physical therapy to recover, but I did recover. Good luck to you.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
laredoarcher
Ten Point
 
laredoarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Laredo
Hunt In: SouthTex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt40 View Post
I have been dealing with pain in right elbow for over a year. Itís starting to effect daily activities. Couldnít pull my bow and hold it for any length of time. I have had cortisone injections, but they are short term relief if any. My doctor says that I probably wonít be able to get the injections for awhile. We have been discussing Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. This procedure involves drawing your blood and spinning it in a Centrifuge to separate the blood cells from the plasma and allows for a concentration of platelets. This is then injected into the damaged area. Suppose to jumpstart the bodies healing process. He is telling me there is like a 50/50 chance this could help. Unfortunately, the procedure is not covered under insurance and is quite expensive. Has anyone tried this therapy and what were the results?


Where exactly does it hurt? Mine is the inside of the elbow, I guess at the bend. Is that tennis elbow???
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
Redraider
Ten Point
 
Redraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State
Default

I can't even lift a glass of water with my right arm, my elbow hurts so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
justintyme8303
Pope & Young
 
justintyme8303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great State
Hunt In: Any
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Ive been seeing a sports medicine type place- Airrosti - for elbow pain.
Once an MRI proved to a bone doctor it wasnít an operable repair I sought help elsewhere.
They have me doing exercises to strengthen lower back muscles and forearm exercises that have helped tremendously.
I donít have a medical background, but if I understand correctly what they are telling me - its the muscles and ligaments pulling on the elbows causing the pain.
When I started seeing them my right elbow pain was about an eight now itís about a two. My left elbow about a seven and now a three, we are working more on it now.
Hereís an example of the exercises they have me doing.



Iím not suggesting this option is for everyone but something similar might help some of those out if your orthopedic surgeon rules out structural damage.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 ...... I have issues at times was told same thing about working the forearm to fix the elbow. It has really helped.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #11
justintyme8303
Pope & Young
 
justintyme8303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great State
Hunt In: Any
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
I can't even lift a glass of water with my right arm, my elbow hurts so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That was my deal too. as soon as I would reach for it and start to pick it up instant pain in the elbow.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
bearintex
Pope & Young
 
bearintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Angleton
Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!
Default

PRP worked well for my son's knee, in place of steroid injections after his ACL surgery. He is allergic to steroids. He was having some patella tendon pain, they used part of the patella tendon as the ACL replacement. A couple days after the PRP treatment he said it was 100% better.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young
 
MQ32Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garland, Texas
Hunt In: Cisco, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
I can't even lift a glass of water with my right arm, my elbow hurts so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Better go see a good orthopedic Dr pretty soon. Like others have said, some of these problems will never heal on their on. Had my right elbow done about 35 years ago and never had a problem since. Had my left elbow done yesterday morning. Told the Doc that I had to be able to shoot my bow by mid September. He said Iíd be in great shape by then
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young
 
MQ32Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garland, Texas
Hunt In: Cisco, Texas
Default

This is what you will look like after surgery. Sorry, donít know how to flip the pic.
Attached Images
 
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young
 
TX_Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bryan, TX
Hunt In: Gillespie County
Default

Good Lord! I don't want no surgery that makes me stand on my head.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young
 
MQ32Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garland, Texas
Hunt In: Cisco, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Kevin View Post
Good Lord! I don't want no surgery that makes me stand on my head.
Then fix the pic for me, please
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
randal
Pope & Young
 
randal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Decatur
Hunt In: Crowell
Default

A couple jokes come to mind but I won’t.. good luck with your elbow whatever way you decide to go..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
day0082
Ten Point
 
day0082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Humble
Hunt In: Dewitt county
Default

Tennis elbow or "Lateral Epicondylitis" for technical name. I have it in right elbow for 3 months now.. Total rest might help, i've been on light duty and it has helped. Next is shots , then surgery. Hope yours feel better.. Mine is feeling alot better , but i heard it can come and go , if you dont get the surgery.

Last edited by day0082; 04-26-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: wording.
day0082 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #19
Jerry Worley
Ten Point
 
Jerry Worley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Harker Heights, TX
Hunt In: Gatesville
Default

This must be a thing. My right elbow on to the top of my forearm has been hurting bad for about a month. Came out of nowhere. I did not hurt myself from strenuous exercise for sure.
Jerry Worley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I had the constant pain as well. I dealt with it for about a year. Did the injections also, but those where only a temporary fix. I finally had surgery and that took care of my pain. It's been several years ago now, but I believe it was a tendon or ligament that had separated from the bone. Time was never going to heal it. I feel fine now. It took some physical therapy to recover, but I did recover. Good luck to you.

Afraid this is the direction I'm headed myself...
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young
 
MQ32Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garland, Texas
Hunt In: Cisco, Texas
Default

My surgeon would give more than 3 shots. Said if I still had pain after the shot series that it would never get better on it’s own. So now it should get better. I can tell you that elbow surgery is a piece of cake compared to my 3 shoulder surgeries.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #22
Matt_C
Ten Point
 
Matt_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: McKinney, Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Kevin View Post
Good Lord! I don't want no surgery that makes me stand on my head.

You're ok, he was sitting on his head...
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #23
Stuck
Ten Point
 
Stuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
A couple jokes come to mind but I wonít.. good luck with your elbow whatever way you decide to go..

Thought the same thing. . Something about the truck needing an oil change, wife has an std, dog has heart worms and it will never stop hurting if you donít quit doing that.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #24
Redraider
Ten Point
 
Redraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State
Default

I have been moving into a new house all week and my elbow actually feels better tonight then it has in awhile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 05:04 AM   #25
baystealth2430
Six Point
 
baystealth2430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beaumont Tx
Default

I had the Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy done about 7 years ago. Have been pain free since. Pain was unbearable before the injections and was gone the next day and never been back. Worked for me.
baystealth2430 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #26
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Kevin View Post
Good Lord! I don't want no surgery that makes me stand on my head.
Haha.
I was thinking the surgery would give me more muscles like that.


I had some bad TE pain from hitting golf balls off pads. (Not sod)
Quit the cause and the problem went away.

Good luck OP.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com