Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Default Whos bought a half cow?

All the steak talk around here got me to thinking again. Ive looked a couple of times into buying a half cow but never managed to find what i wanted at a decent price.

Id like grass fed and finished. I have a friend in California that told me he gets it by the half cow for around $5.50/ lb including butchering. Best I can find around Houston is over $5 pkus another $2-3 per lb for butchering. At $8/ lb Im not sure Im saving that much buying in bulk.

So whos done it before? Whatd you pay? Who has a go-to source in the Houston area?
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Wiatreks meat market in poth Texas sells half, front quarters or hind quarters. You can't beat their meat!
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Did it once--never again. Ended up spending a lot of $$ on cuts we don't use, and there is a lot of bone in a half-beef.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Did it once--never again. Ended up spending a lot of $$ on cuts we don't use, and there is a lot of bone in a half-beef.
This....unless you butcher yourself and use up every last piece and utilize the bones/marrow.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
brains
Nubbin' Buck

You can use money better by stocking up on the cuts you use on supermarket sales and sams in my opinion. We use lots of ground beef and ribeye. Ill go to sams and buy a whole beef rib and have it cut into 1 1/4 steaks and it usually makes about 14 of them. I can buy lots of ribeyes and ground beef with the occasional roast and brisket for what a side of beef costs.
brains is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
That is good to know. I am a pretty adventurous cook and somewhat enjoy finding recipes for cuts that I havent cooked with before. I took advantage of the black friday deal with butcher box last year and did some of that. Cancelled the butcher box just because I live in the best city in the US for buying good beef and it just wasnt worth it to have it shipped to me.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Just wait for one of those pickup trucks to venture into your neighborhood with “extra” meat available.
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

We buy. Whole steer at auction every year. We send it to Fishers Meat Market in Spring Texas And have it cut up the way we want. you pay more for it, but I will never buy supermarket beef again, the flavor is that much better.

A whole steer Takes all the Beef needs for 4 families for a year.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by brains View Post
You can use money better by stocking up on the cuts you use on supermarket sales and sams in my opinion. We use lots of ground beef and ribeye. Ill go to sams and buy a whole beef rib and have it cut into 1 1/4 steaks and it usually makes about 14 of them. I can buy lots of ribeyes and ground beef with the occasional roast and brisket for what a side of beef costs.

Ive never seen the grass fed/finished beef on sale. Dont even think Sam's carries it.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

I’ve never bought half a cow but I did have a cow take half my stuff.
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Low Fence
Pope & Young

We sell/have sold dozens of them. We get paid on hanging weight and butcher gets their fee. We have a pretty loyal client base

Full feed all they can eat min 90 days, but the waiting list is 4.5-5 months out at least
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme8303 View Post
Ive never seen the grass fed/finished beef on sale. Dont even think Sam's carries it.
Cause you cant finish one on grass is my opinion. If someone likes it thats great...but really it sucks ( )
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I raise cattle and buy all my beef at HEB.
shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #14
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I have done it many times in the 70's and 80's, but I just bought a half beef from Stieler Farms in Comfort for $5.00 per pound hanging weight. Grass fed Angus/Wagyu cross and that is cut, packaged and ready to put in your freezer. This is unbelievable beef. We bought a 1/4 before the first of the year and it was melt in your mouth awesome. Did not notice bones except in the parts for soups or stews or to cook and feed to your dogs and the T Bones! They will cut it however you tell them to. Unfortunately they will not have any more cattle ready to butcher for sides until after the first of the year. We got in on the last butchering and will pick it up at the end of May.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Grass fed beef has a big premium��! Look at the color it will tell the tell!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #16
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have done it many times in the 70's and 80's, but I just bought a half beef from Stieler Farms in Comfort for $5.00 per pound hanging weight. Grass fed Angus/Wagyu cross and that is cut, packaged and ready to put in your freezer. This is unbelievable beef. We bought a 1/4 before the first of the year and it was melt in your mouth awesome. Did not notice bones except in the parts for soups or stews or to cook and feed to your dogs and the T Bones! They will cut it however you tell them to. Unfortunately they will not have any more cattle ready to butcher for sides until after the first of the year. We got in on the last butchering and will pick it up at the end of May.
Now this has my attention. I’m certainly in no rush so maybe I’ll give them a call and see if they have a waiting list. Unfortunately Comfort is a heck of a ways away from me...

Last edited by MetalMan2004; 04-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
Chubb
Four Point

I sell a few calves each year. Typically the cost for the packaged beef is around $6 per lbs.

All my calves are on grass in pastures and provided hay. So, they are technically 'grass fed' but I supplement them with grain the last 60-90 days to finish them.

This system works best for the breeds I've been using and the type of forage I have available.

Grass finished is a different animal but I will be giving it a try in the near future.
Chubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #18
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties
Default Whos bought a half cow?

Never heard of him
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #19
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Cause you cant finish one on grass is my opinion. If someone likes it thats great...but really it sucks ( )
Yep, grass fed sucks. Imo of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #20
deep n the heat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Barksdale

Go to one of the school FFA auctions. Buy one from a kid and get a tax deduction. You get a great calf and you help a kid. My kids show in Tomball in January, you can get a freezer steer 1000-1300lbs for $3500. In my opinion grass fed is something that sounds great and tastes bad. It's like the hormone, antibiotic free chickens. No chicken has antibiotics in them.
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #21
GIL HUNTS
Eight Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease. Hunted Gillespie county for over 40 years. The search begins...

Grain fed beef is typical of US beef. Australia typically feeds their beef out on grass. Grain fed beef has white colored marbling (intramuscular fat) thats where the good flavor comes from. Grass fed beef is usually a yellowish colored fat and a much different flavor.
Our kids feed commercial steers as a 4-H project every year. The quality of the meat us unbelievable. You can find these animals on the auction block each year at county fairs across the state. If you don't want to buy a whole or half calf groups of people get together and split it amongst themselves. Its a win, win for the exhibitors and the consumers.
Beef. It's what's for dinner.
GIL HUNTS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #22
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Wiatreks meat market in poth Texas sells half, front quarters or hind quarters. You can't beat their meat!
Nor would I want to
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #23
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Grass fed beef tastes like grass to me. No bueno. Id rather buy fresh steaks and cook them the same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top