His and Hers Cull Buck Wknd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His and Hers Cull Buck Wknd

So I have hunted with the wife for years, off and on and she has a number of doe and pigs under her belt with a gun and a bow. Back in 2014 we had a target buck at full draw but he wasn’t positioned right and she waited. When he finally did move I went to adjust the camera and my range finder feel off my lap and slammed the floor in the box blind. The deer didn't care for that and exited the area in a clip. I felt like crap and another opportunity never came up with this buck. I sat alone saturday morning and connected with a busted up bruiser of an 8. 22 yard shot with having him fall 50 yards later in sight. I can tell you after bowhunting for years now, its really nice to see an animals fall in sight. Makes for a enjoyable morning.

Saturday evening we sat with only one buck coming in that wasn't on the hit list, so it was a slow evening. We get back to the house and loaded up the ranger with some snacks, beer, a bottle of wine and headed to the fire pit at the top of the ranch. Some tunes playing. Bottle of wine breathing. The wife asks, I need a knife to open the meat and cheese trays from bucees. Crap. The only thing I had was a rage broadhead. You haters can hate all you want. They can open deer and save an evening of ranch romance!!

We have a few hit list cull animals on this ranch so I put her behind her AR for a couple days. She would have had her bow, but with us being relocated from Harvey, her hunting gear was in 5 different places, so the AR was used. She connected on a nice mainframe 7 with a couple ring hanger scorable points making it a 9. She made a shot that was back in the liver, but we had blood. I tracked for 30 or so yards and then I heard some racket coming from the direction the buck went in. Another 40 yards and I came across her buck with 2 holes in it. The ¼” hole from the bullet and a 1” hole from the 10 point that walked away with her buck after the shot. He followed her buck and with the rut kicking off, he took advantage of the weakened state. Perfect first buck for my Love and I hope to get her archery equipment together here soon for a proper buck!! We ended up both taking culls, but her animal far surpassed mine in quality, character and circumstance.

After we cleaned camp, we headed to Granite Shoals to eat at Crazy Gal's diner and it wasn't bad!! Might be a regular stop for us on the way back to the house.

Stay tuned as we should be posting up some nice animals here in the coming weeks.

Last of the Bowhicans

Awesome!

Comment

Good Stuff and sounds like a good weekend.

Love the idea of the fire pit on the hill! smooth move right there

Comment

cool stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
          Good Stuff and sounds like a good weekend.

Love the idea of the fire pit on the hill! smooth move right there
          Like butter. Next time I'll have the smore kit ready as well.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Good stuff there!

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Great stuff. Congrats to both of you.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to you both and I’m looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season has in store for y’all!

Skinny

Comment

Good shooting! Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                        Awesome! Congrats to you both and I’m looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season has in store for y’all!

Skinny
                        Maaaaannnn its going to be a personal best for us both if all goes to plan!!

Comment

I notice that food packaging , looks like Buccees cheese and sausage samplers priced around $7.99 each I've been known to inhale a few along with the big bag of chocolate covered almonds, few pcs. of fudge, and a pound or two of the beef jerky priced higher than giraffe nuts

congrats to you both

Comment

perfect cull bucks! Congrats and good work

Comment

Nice congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X