Unexplained Noises In The Woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexplained Noises In The Woods

A friend gave me and my boys permission to hunt a piece of private land deep in the woods and miles back off the beaten path on the North side of Lake Conroe. I'm tagged out (buck) but figured I would try to kill me a hog yesterday afternoon. There are 3 stands on this place. My oldest was hunting the front feeder, I was hunting a pop up for bow hunting and my youngest was hunting with a buddy in a stand on the back of this property over looking a feeder.

I was enjoying hunting new grounds and how quiet it was...no busy roads or farm land, just thousands of acres of woods with Lake Conroe a few hundreds yards away from my set up.

5pm rolls around and soon after, the sun hits the top of the pines and the temperature starts to drop. I was enjoying the peace n quiet when I hear a low moan hundreds of yards away. Then it gets louder and then louder till it was echoing through the woods. It was coming back from the direction my youngest was sitting with his buddy.

All went quiet and then literally all hell broke loose back that way. The best way to describe it was it sounded like someone was screaming bloody murder...a down right blood curdling scream that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was intense!

I then text my son to make sure it was them...he didn't return my text!! I start to panic so call him. He doesn't answer! I text again and nothing. I was fixing to unzip the pop up and run down there but called him one more time. He picked up and said please come get them. That low pitched screaming came about 150 yards behind them and they were shaken up pretty bad.

By this time it was pretty much too dark to see so they high tailed it out of there...heck, I could hear them running down the trail a hundred yards out. lol

In all my years being in the woods, I have never heard such a noise before. It wasn't a panther, bobcat, fox, wounded rabbit, hog, etc..I've heard em all. Just sounded like a demon getting its guts ripped out.

Anyone ever heard crap in the woods that you can't explain. That was crazy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cat like mountain lion cat?

Comment

Big Foot

Comment

Never heard a moan before, but did hear a high pitched scream right as I was heading out on foot a tad after sunset. Whatever it was, it could see me, but I sure couldn't see it. Made my skin crawl. First and last time I ever heard anything like it.

Comment

I'll tell you one thing...You just made a lifetime memory for your kids..way to go dad

Comment

Wow...made my hair stand up just reading it

Comment

Only once in Logansport Louisiana have i heard something i couldnt explain.
              Our lease was on the edge of Toledo Bend and my stand was probably 200 yards off the edge of a well site that we frequently saw hogs in. There was nothing between me and the lake other than about a mile of solid woods. I was settled in and waiting on sunrise when i heard something similar, but it sounded more like a roar than anything else. I have no clue what it could have been besides maybe a very upset black bear. This was no hog.

My wife told me about some Emu that were loose in SHNF some years ago. Maybe there's still one that's roaming around some place and that's what you heard?

Comment

I heard and watched a couple of mountain lions in south texas mate/cort each other one evening, the noises they made are what you just described. The guy hunting about 150 yards away at a feeder text me asking if I had heard it, I told him what it was and he said he was outta there.
                That was one of the coolest things Ive ever seen.

Comment

Dude, that is creepy....and I'm sure I'll be thinking about it the next time I head to my stand early in the morning.

It also brings up a good point; I'm as difficult to scare as anyone I know. I've seen a lot of things, been in some very dicey situations, and I'm pretty unshakable most of the time. However, I think we've all had a moment or two in the woods, in the early moonless morning, when our imaginations can get the better of us. I've never felt the need to leave the area, but I've heard and seen some strange things out there. I'm sure I would've been freaked out too if I had been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
                    I'll tell you one thing...You just made a lifetime memory for your kids..way to go dad
                    lol...."lifetime memory" or "childhood trauma" followed by "anxiety" and "emotional baggage?"

Comment

Wow. I'm sure it is explainable, just not by you. That had to be freaky. Your mind can certainly play tricks on you and get you going in those kinds of deals.

Comment

Had to red stags grunting, groaning, and whatever other sounds they make when they're telling each other that they're the baddest, then commence the fight to prove it. All this started about 50 yds from my set-up and traveled several hundred yds around the hill to my sons blind. We didn't know what the heck it was until it got light enough to see them. Sure keeps you from wanting to nod off while waiting for the corn truck.

Comment

I may be nit picking, but you didn't say coyote. Could it have been them? Mating possibly?

Comment

Sounds like an old female cat. Heard that from them on numerous occasions while working the ranches. Even seen them sitting and bellowing, groaning as loud as they can. Don't know why they do it, but it makes your skin crawl. They call that scream you heard, a banshee scream after a kill. Could have taken down a hog or deer. If not a big cat, I guess Sasquatch does exist or Santa drove his sleigh into a tree. One thing to be said; that is going to be a great memory for those kids.

Comment

That's cool man, there just ain't no telling what's in the big pines.

Comment

Working...
                              X