My Great Uncle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Great Uncle

Today I receive the flag that was shipped on my great uncles casket home from WWII. It is being passed down on to me as I am the youngest veteran in the family and will take care of it as well as my grandparents flags I already have untill the next generation enlists some day.
    Below is an exceprt that the Dept of the Army sent over and I never had any idea that he was such a hero. This sounds like something out of a movie, I will be very proud of that flag as I am of all of my families flags. Thought I would share this great story!
    Attached Files

That is Awesome!

Comment

Made me have chills.

A true HERO.

Comment

True Hero There. Congrats on a Great heirloom.

Comment

What a cool thing to inherit/take care of.

A quick and dirty Google turned up this little nugget about him. Do you know if your family ever found his medals?

Comment

We have somehow forgotten these days what the meaning of the word " hero " truly is. People have something bad happen to them through no fault of their own and they are called " heroes ".

Pfc Richard A. Sweet was truly a hero who went above and beyond his duty. You have every right to be proud !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              We have somehow forgotten these days what the meaning of the word " hero " truly is. People have something bad happen to them through no fault of their own and they are called " heroes ".

Pfc Richard A. Sweet was truly a hero who went above and beyond his duty. You have every right to be proud !
              x2!

Comment

No, Polly (my Aunt) is who I am getting the flag from. I do know lots of other items were donated to the 3rd ID museum I believe. It would be nice to have in a shadow box with the flag.

Comment

That is awesome

Comment

Amazing story and a fine American Hero from our greatest generation.

Comment

What an incredible piece of history!

Comment

Amazing account of bravery! Got dusty in here....

Comment

Awesome story! Great man right there!

Comment

I got chills reading that. I have an uncle that was shot down over Austria on a bombing run. My dad has his flag. I think I'll have it one day. My thanks to you and your family.

Comment

A photo of him shorlty before.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X