Stockshow Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stockshow Gurus

Curious as to what show goats cost? Can anybody help me out.

Brandon,

The guy who built my parents house at the ranch is big time in to show goats. All three of his kids have been involved with showing them. He raises and sells show stock. I will PM you his info. He is in Dripping Springs.

Comment

we payed 500 for my daughters last one got a lamb this year payed 500 for it the goats were higher.

Comment

what kind of goats? I know a great angora operation in mason.

depending on the goat I have seen some Angora kids go for 200 on up to 1200

Comment

I think just a spanish goat looking thing.

Comment

If you're talking about showing FFA/4H market goats, then you'll want the typcial boer looking goat.

Don't be shocked if most of what you see has a price tag of $750+. You can get them cheaper, but competitiveness usually starts to go downhill significantly. If all you want is a project and winning is not important to you, then you can find them for $300 all day.

Comment

I believe there are some ranches that "loan out" or sponsor some kids with a show goat. I think I remember a girl being sponsored with one last show season. The kiddo pays for show entry fees and the ranch pays for goat, feed, and medical costs. Just a thought!

Comment

What about the hair goats (Angora)?
                It seems that there would be fewer entries, less competition.

Less maintenance i.e. washing, shearing (to keep the oils in the mohair)

But I'm not in the show goats business...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan08 016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	24359961
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24359957

Comment

I used to work for a guy that had a large boer goat herd, and raised them strictly for 4-H and FFA projects. They went anywhere from 500- 2,000 at his sales.

Comment

stockshow

It depends on what you are trying to do with it . Local show only, major show, and how competitive you want to be. There are a lot of top-end show goats that sell for several thousand dollars. And yes this is for a weather goat! So this is a very hard question to answer. Marc PS most show goats are Boar Or Boar/crosses.

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Comment

If you want some references for market show wethers, let me know. If this is for Burnet County Stock Show, Skeeter Sprinkles goats appear to have been doing well at this particular show.

Sprinkles Show Goats in Manor
                        Evans Livestock in Burnet
                        Carrolton Ranch in Liberty Hill
                        Last edited by TimH; 01-26-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

We bought a real good boer for 350

Comment

Weve got a guy who works for our dealership but raises primo show goats on the side. He told me his good ones sell for $2k. I bet the ones that win the large stock shows cost $5k+. I know the show steers that win are usually purchased for $20,000+. Depends if you want you kid to win or not. I remember just liking the experience when I was a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastornado View Post
                              I believe there are some ranches that "loan out" or sponsor some kids with a show goat. I think I remember a girl being sponsored with one last show season. The kiddo pays for show entry fees and the ranch pays for goat, feed, and medical costs. Just a thought!
                              I have never heard of this. Sounds awesome though!

Comment

Working...
                              X