TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
    This is only Diesel's fourth track this year. He's 3 for 4 now and made this one look easy.

A hunter on the national grasslands called after lunch and said he had shot a buck early this morning and had bumped him twice hours apart. Good dark blood which sounded like a liver shot. I offered to go out about 4:30 and give it a try.

Once Diesel hit the blood he was head down and led us straight to the buck about 150 yards away.

The hunter tried to tip me but then I found out he was a Marine and disabled vet. I thanked him for his sacrifice and headed home.

[ATTACH]670721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]670722[/ATTACH]
    great gesture man and congrats to you and Diesel

Comment

ALWAYS take a rifle to follow up on your blood trails!

Comment

Went on a call from a fellow tbh'r over near Cushing tx and got there and put my nĂºmero uno dulce on the trail 10 min in she gets to yelping and goes from 75 yards to 200 pretty quick. Deer doubles back and covers up his tracks and makes a few circles and upon me and a buddy running towards her yelping the bucks being ran back towards us and he stops about 30 ish yards away and not being able to see thru the brush and then when we do finally see we know it's him and at this point I figured he wasn't really vitally wounded. He's got a broken leg but I will bet this deer will live to see another day. Rick the ranch owner has some fine animals in his little tucked away haven. This buck was a monster and would have been my biggest scorable buck to date had I got my hands on him. We finally called it off bc the deer had to much life in him and dogs couldn't bring him completely down or stop him for a back up shot. I'm a little disgusted I didn't hold that rack but extremely proud of my dogs and their ability to get gritty in the weather conditions were having tonight(cold rainy mixture). Just thought I'd share my lil story from tonight. Good luck my fellow trackers!!!

Comment

This is my first year putting myself up on the TBH Bloodtracking list. I have gotten 3 calls asking for help since Rifle season opened and all 3 guys have "Flaked" on me. I'm not sure if Flaked is the right way to put it, but I'd get a call from a Guide or Hunter and we talk for a bit about the shot and blood etc. They say they'll call me back and I never hear from them again.
          Just wondering if this is a common thing? I know folks get in a panic over losing a deer. Maybe they have called several guys with dogs and decided to go with someone else? Maybe they found the deer on their own? Maybe they just gave up? I dont know, but each time I talk to someone I ask them to KEEP ME UPDATED if they find the deer or get another tracker.

Sorry if this is considered Hi-jacking a thread, but its one place where bloodtrackers get together on here. Figured more folks would see it.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
            This is my first year putting myself up on the TBH Bloodtracking list. I have gotten 3 calls asking for help since Rifle season opened and all 3 guys have "Flaked" on me. I'm not sure if Flaked is the right way to put it, but I'd get a call from a Guide or Hunter and we talk for a bit about the shot and blood etc. They say they'll call me back and I never hear from them again.
            Just wondering if this is a common thing? I know folks get in a panic over losing a deer. Maybe they have called several guys with dogs and decided to go with someone else? Maybe they found the deer on their own? Maybe they just gave up? I dont know, but each time I talk to someone I ask them to KEEP ME UPDATED if they find the deer or get another tracker.

Sorry if this is considered Hi-jacking a thread, but its one place where bloodtrackers get together on here. Figured more folks would see it.

Maybe they know it was a bad shot and know it isn't worth wasting time/money.

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post

Another one this morning. July isn't showing any confidence at the beginning of a track. I really have to get him going at the beginning. Not sure what is going on with him but I'm going to keep working him and hopefully with more and more work he will loosen up.

Number 2
              Nice work Rodney!

I'm sure he will come around.

Comment

This is only Diesel's fourth track this year. He's 3 for 4 now and made this one look easy.

A hunter on the national grasslands called after lunch and said he had shot a buck early this morning and had bumped him twice hours apart. Good dark blood which sounded like a liver shot. I offered to go out about 4:30 and give it a try.

Once Diesel hit the blood he was head down and led us straight to the buck about 150 yards away.

The hunter tried to tip me but then I found out he was a Marine and disabled vet. I thanked him for his sacrifice and headed home.
                Class act Froggy, I wouldn’t expect anything less!

Originally posted by bowtechman View Post

Went on a call from a fellow tbh'r over near Cushing tx and got there and put my nĂºmero uno dulce on the trail 10 min in she gets to yelping and goes from 75 yards to 200 pretty quick. Deer doubles back and covers up his tracks and makes a few circles and upon me and a buddy running towards her yelping the bucks being ran back towards us and he stops about 30 ish yards away and not being able to see thru the brush and then when we do finally see we know it's him and at this point I figured he wasn't really vitally wounded. He's got a broken leg but I will bet this deer will live to see another day. Rick the ranch owner has some fine animals in his little tucked away haven. This buck was a monster and would have been my biggest scorable buck to date had I got my hands on him. We finally called it off bc the deer had to much life in him and dogs couldn't bring him completely down or stop him for a back up shot. I'm a little disgusted I didn't hold that rack but extremely proud of my dogs and their ability to get gritty in the weather conditions were having tonight(cold rainy mixture). Just thought I'd share my lil story from tonight. Good luck my fellow trackers!!!
                Sorry you didn’t get your buck Joey, but it sounded like one heck of a track nonetheless.

I hope he makes it and you get another crack at him.

Good Luck!

Comment

[QUOTE=TUCO;9383877]Class act Froggy, I wouldn’t expect anything less!

Sorry you didn’t get your buck Joey, but it sounded like one heck of a track nonetheless.

I hope he makes it and you get another crack at him.

Good Luck![/QUOTE

It was a helluva run that's for sure...... He'll live to see another few days and someone will get him and as soon as I get a pic I'm gonna post the only buck to date that has gotten away, not bc they couldn't handle him it's because he was to alive and not mortally wounded, non the less rick the ranch owner is a stand up TBH'r and the hunt and chase were a blast!

Comment

Liver smoothie anyone?

Needed some work so went on a 370 yard track with several 90 degree turns. 3 hour old trail with rain.

She overran some of the turns but pretty pleased overall. I guess I'll have to start slowing her down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416195106.129680.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	24346081

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416195117.244938.jpg
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	24346082

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416195264.795338.jpg
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	24346083

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416195277.828800.jpg
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	24346084
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ShockValue; 11-16-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Another one this morning. July isn't showing any confidence at the beginning of a track. I really have to get him going at the beginning. Not sure what is going on with him but I'm going to keep working him and hopefully with more and more work he will loosen up.
                      Number 2
                      That's a good looking dog........ Looks like it came from a good line....... He come from down the road???

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechman View Post
                        The dogs didn't bay the deer? With a broke leg? Hopefully they see the deer again before the coyotes get him.

Got any pics of the deer?

Comment

chance,
                          the deer was wheelin' like a deer with all 4 good legs brotha. he was doing circles covering up his tracks and coming back over them and getting my dog confused and she kept on him. she bayed him once that i could tell bc she came back full of blood on her muzzle and chest and a bare spot on her chest from the hair being whacked off. she didnt get gigged just pushed around. In my honest opinion and my years of experience a buck that is mortaly wounded will stop and put a fight up and keep fighting, and deer that isn't wounded enough to kill him will keep keepin' on. i have a mental pic of the buck and he was definately a giant. i told rick as soon as the get him i would like a pic of the first deer that has evaded getting caught in almost 9 years of tracking.

Comment

Diesel

[ATTACH]670721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]670722[/ATTACH]

Way to go Diesel

Comment

Gumbo #3

This buck was shot right at dark, and it was too late to see blood without a light. I went and picked up Gumbo and took him to the trail I thought the deer left on. I was sure I saw which way the deer took off after the shot.

When I was leading him to the trail I thought the buck had went down Gumbo wanted to go the another direction but I pulled him off. He went down the trail I put him on for a short distance then stopped and turned around and looked at me like “there isn't anything down here!”. He then turned into the wind and headed back toward the truck. I told Gumbo “the buck isn't that way!”

Gumbo’s nose knew better.

Gumbo made a beeline right to the downed deer. The buck had taken a different trail from what I thought, and had made a hard turn as soon as he hit the brush after the shot.

I have been told to trust your dog. I will take that advice to heart from this day forward.

This was another short track that was more of a confidence builder than anything. I am trying to put Gumbo on every track I can just as Buff suggested.

I feel I probably have much more to learn than my dog does when it comes to being part of a tracking team.

We are looking forward to Gumbo’s first real test in the field.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by TUCO; 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Another great track for Gumbo. Yep, trust the dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X