Need a deer chili recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a deer chili recipe

I just got about a pound and a half of deer chili meat and I need a good recipe. Up for any ideas, just never had the chili meat.

Cin chili mix. You can go online to find out where it is in your area or order online. this stuff is great with deer meat. (www.cinchili.com) I met the lady that owns the company she is very nice. I keep it in my RV and home.

Comment

Find a Carrol Shelby's Chili Kit. They have them at most grocery stores. When you are browning the meat, just season it up really well with whatever you like. I just use salt, pepper, garlic and some southwest seasoning. I double the tomato sauce and use 1/2 the water recommended on the package. It comes out great.

With chili you really can't go wrong. If you like the flavor, put it in. Taste as you cook and adjust as you go. It will probably be great.

Comment

I've used this recipe many times and love it. Sometimes I add more meat and/or more beans. It came from and old elk hunters cookbook.

1 1/2 pounds hamburger meat
        1 large yellow onion
        2 cloves garlic, chopped
        2 cans tomato sauce (10 1/2 ounce cans)
        2 cans Italian stewed tomatoes (15 1/2 ounce cans)
        1 can dark red kidney beans (drained 15 1/2 oz)
        1 can diced green chilies
        2 fresh jalapenos (diced)
        2 fresh yellow hot peppers (diced)
        1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
        5 tsp. red chili powder
        1 1/2 tsp. dry cumin powder
        1 tsp. salt
        1 tsp. dry oregano
        1 tsp. black pepper
        1/2 cup brown sugar

Brown meat, onion and garlic in skillet in small amount of oil. Drain and add the rest. Cover an simmer on low for an hour or more (You'll know when it done). Eat

Comment

Sorry, I guess I should have paid closer attention to CHILI MEAT. My bad, but the recipe is still good if you come across some hamburger.

Comment

I use the "kit" mixes. Any brand will do, use one you like. A couple of differnet ideas though, I will brown the meat using Olive Oil, No beef fat. The olive oil is better for you and tastes great. I do not use tomato sauce. I add the 14.5 oz. can of cooked tomatoes, blended up in a blender, and add to the mix. To me it just tastes a little sweeter.

Comment

I use the mexene chili powder recipe but I quadruple it cut one can of tomato sauce and and a can of rotel and a can of diced tomatoes

Comment

Wick Fowlers 2 alarm mix.

Comment

two pounds of deer chili (browned)
                  1 can of tomato juice
                  1 can of diced tomato
                  1 can of kidney beans
                  1 can of pork n beans
                  1 tbsp chili powder
                  1 tbsp garlic salt
                  1 tbsp crushed red pepper
                  1/2 cup diced onion
                  1 diced red bell pepper
                  simmer 30 min enjoy

Comment

I do this one in a dutch oven the first cold snap we get (usually in January, but I pretend it happens in October). It's a little more work, but worth it.

start a fire in the back yard and hang a dutch oven over it with 1 and a half cups of water in it

boil about 4 quarts of water, and put in about 14-18 dried cascabel or ancho chiles per pound of venison, boil about 20 minutes or until soft and the skin is coming off

meanwhile, heat up some oil in your cast iron skillet and throw in about 12-15 cloves of garlic and a whole diced onion (you've been saving those 10/15s for something). put your venison through some flour. when the onions and garlic start to sweat, throw in your venison, and cook until nice and brown

when the chiles are soft, pulverize them in a blender and add them to your dutch oven along with about a cup of the juice they cooked in; keep the juice handy if your chili starts getting dry or you need to revive someone from a fainting episode, heart attack, etc.

add your browned venison, garlic, and onions to the dutch oven along with a halved jalapeno or four if you want it spicy - 6 jalapenos kicked my *****; they get a lot of heat when you simmer them

add a few shakes of cumin, salt, pepper and mexican oregano (the legal kind, unless you're not going anywhere) and any other spices you like

drink 4-12 beers (about 2 hours)

enjoy

the only chili LBJ would eat was venison chili

anyone knows beans about chili knows chili ain't got no beans

tomatoes are for spaghetti sauce
                    Last edited by The Crippler; 07-11-2008, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X