Hog backstrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog backstrap

We shot a 120-30 pound hog this past weekend and cut out the backstraps and I was wondering how yall cooked them. I'm thinking about baking it like a regular pork tenderloin that you may find at the grocery store unless anyone has a better suggestion. Thanks.

Cut it into thin butterfly steaks and chicken-fry it. Just use your favorite breading/spiced up flour. I like to mix shake-n-bake with some flour,bread them up and fry. Easy,cheap,delicious!

Comment

I like to stuff with onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, and what ever else sounds good at the time then wrap with bacon and then BBQ. Make sure to keep a eye on it the whole time or you will end with burnt backstrap.

Comment

They are sometimes a little tougher than store-bought pork tenderloins. I like to brown them then slowly braise them in chicken stock in a covered pan (275 for 3 or 4 hours). Thicken the braising liquid for gravey over mashed taters....mmmm mmm good!

Comment

Braising is definitely the way to go. They are so lean that it needs a slow cook in something wet to keep them tender. I did a few backstraps carnitas style for my son's birthday back in January. I'll have to dig up the recipe, but it was basically a tomato sauce based braise with Mexican spices and some half and half right at the end. It was a BIG hit.

It was so good, it made me wish I took the entire hog to the processor instead of using the old "strap and release" technique.

Comment

Marinate them in italian dressing and cook over coals very slowly.

Comment

Chop it into 1" squares get some assorted veggies that stir fry well and some soy sauce fry the pork in a little bit of wok oil then add your veggies serve over plain whit rice and theres one of my favorite ways to eat some pork backstrap.
              Chicken frying is a very very close second.

Comment

Originally posted by TimHicks View Post
                Marinate them in italian dressing and cook over coals very slowly.

+1 italian dressing for about 12 to 24 hrs!!!

Comment

Trey's Super Easy Crockpot Recipe is pretty darn hard to beat.

Comment

Chicken fry is how we eat'm , But all these other ways sound great. We'll have to try'm all !

Comment

Originally posted by NTex View Post
                      +1 italian dressing for about 12 to 24 hrs!!!
                      1 bottle italian dressing + 1 package McCormick fajita mix and a little water makes a great marinade

Comment

Working...
                      X