Turning propane tank into smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning propane tank into smoker?

So I have a large propane tank that is no longer used. It used to be only for a hot tub heat pump. I assume a used propane tank can be used for a smoker, but I read that can be quite dangerous cutting a used one. The tank just sits in my back yard, so I’m just looking for advice on what I can do with it really, any is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fill it with water and then cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
      Fill it with water and then cut it.
      I filled one with soap and water, and then emptied it. Still had the smell of the propane agent. I was still Leary of cutting it. It got put behind the barn and it’s been sitting about 4 years now. It’s probably good now

Comment

I filled one with water after it had been sitting with the valve pulled out for a couple of years.

Started with a torch and I guess steam built up and it "burped" and I about passed out

Switched to 4.5" grinder with cutoff wheel and didn't look back

Fill with water or run a hose from exhaust and fill it with CO

Comment

Forget all that water stuff. Remove all the valves. Find some of that hay bailin twine, about 15 to 20ft, soak with lighter fluid, stick about 3ft of it down in the tank and then lite the other end, like a fuse!!!
          And video please!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Forget all that water stuff. Remove all the valves. Find some of that hay bailin twine, about 15 to 20ft, soak with lighter fluid, stick about 3ft of it down in the tank and then lite the other end, like a fuse!!!

And video please!!!

I don’t think I’ll be doing it this way [emoji23]

Maybe I should just sell the thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
              Maybe I should just sell the thing!

Sell it and buy you some pipe instead. Trust me, I've built one and will never do another one from a propane tank again. Propane tanks are rolled metal. When you cut the doors out or anything else, nothing will fit right.

Comment

In all seriousness it can be scary to cut into one but take all the valves off and fill it full of soap and water, we do this a couple of times just for safe measure then we will cut into them with an angle grinder. If not using a cordless just take note of the water coming out and the electricity. You will be fine, just be cautious and if you are really worried just fill it with water a few times and put it in a brush pile fire and let er rip!

Comment

Aaron Franklin, the bbq guru, has a 30 minute minute show where he constructs one from a propane tank. Very informative in how he cuts the doors so they do fit correctly. Also, good advise on how to install the pipe riser and food tray locations. The series was called BBQ with Franklin, on PBS.

Comment

Fill with water and cut.
                    Liquid propane is close to oderless.
                    The lingering smell is the sulphur they add to LP. Once you purge the tank once your fine.

Comment

The smell is actually mercaptan and it lingers forever!!! A little goes a LONG way!! We use it to odorize our NG at work. We runa 2 burner furnace (20'diameter and about 80'-100' long) at 2000 degrees 24/7. The NG line is 1.5" to each burner! We use about 18 gallons of mercaptan a year!

As for cutting the tank, filling it with water is the best way to go. The water pushes any residual NG out. Or you could do a nitrogen purge, but water is easier and much cheaper!

And to the person who said to hook it to your exaust and fill with CO, CO is a flamable gas!! We have CO analyzers on some of our equipment to shut them down and prevent explosions!!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

Yep, fill with soap & water and let sit for a day or so and go at it with an angle grinder. Here'a link to my DIY propane tank build: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=640761

Comment

.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_171413.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	24546923

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            .[ATTACH]916829[/ATTACH]

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                            You should hire a welder to finish that for you

Comment

Still trying to figure out this trick photography TG.
                              That SMOKER looks massive.

Comment

Working...
                              X