Need some thoughts on Prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some thoughts on Prayer

I try to not ask God for materialistic things for myself when I pray. Peace with a situation, to live my life better, to be a better dad/husband/son/friend/Christian. Those are things I pray for. I figure God has his plan and the best that I can ask for is peace in whatever happens in life.

Recently we have had an amazing opportunity with my wife’s job. Literally life altering opportunity. She has worked 12 years to get this opportunity. My wife works hard for an ungrateful boss, and she would own her own buisness if it worked out, making amazing money, benefits, retirement, and way less stress and hours after things are stable. We could help young employees (majority of employees are high school/ college age) as they go through school via scholarships and internships which is one of my wife’s passions. And I would finally have the opportunity to do mission work that is important to my wife and I.

I struggle over how to approach this situation with prayer. I want good things for my wife and son and I. But I feel it’s petty to ask God for opportunities to come to fruition. He has blessed us with so much. We already have a son, a home and a supporting family. I have a good job that pays the bills, gets us insurance, and has retirement. It’s a struggle now for sure, but we would be ok if it didn’t work out. Part of me says if it’s meant to be it’ll be, and I would be remiss to ask for more favorable things from God. I would be the ungrateful child asking for more.

How do y’all approach these situations? This is really eating at me lately so I sure would appreciate any insights y’all might have.

If it will give your family a happier life and give you the opportunity to do missionary work, it sounds like something worth praying for.

Comment

I’m not a believer of the “Prisperity Gospel” message but the word does encourage us to petition God for the things that concern us. I do believe God provided for opportunity to believers to further His kingdom. Ask God for guidance and wisdom

Comment

Instead of worrying about it, have faith that it will happen, and take the steps to make it happen. God gave us choices, and a brain that can reason. The Bible doesn't see prosperity as good or evil. The most often misquoted verse is "Money is the root of all evil", when instead it's "the LOVE of money". If prosperity allows good Christian things to happen for you, and others because of that prosperity, then that's a good thing in my book. That's my two cents, and good luck !

Comment

“Lord. Please guide our foot steps on the path you want us to be on”.

Amen.

He’s in control.

Comment

"Thy will be done on earth as in heaven".

Comment

Ask for Gods will, He will guide you, He will do what’s best for you and your family according to His will

Comment

Your guilt is not from God.

What Father would not want to bless His children?

I would see it as an open door and if God did not want me going through thnen he needs to shut it ��

A great question is “does this new thing require me to trust God more or less?”

Comment

I struggle over how to approach this situation with prayer. I want good things for my wife and son and I. But I feel it’s petty to ask God for opportunities to come to fruition. He has blessed us with so much. We already have a son, a home and a supporting family. I have a good job that pays the bills, gets us insurance, and has retirement. It’s a struggle now for sure, but we would be ok if it didn’t work out. Part of me says if it’s meant to be it’ll be, and I would be remiss to ask for more favorable things from God. I would be the ungrateful child asking for more.

How do y’all approach these situations? This is really eating at me lately so I sure would appreciate any insights y’all might have.[/QUOTE]

there should never be a struggle in how to approach any situation with prayer,,, i learned a long time ago God want's to be asked, because when he is asked he gets the same joy of helping his child as a parent who loves their child gets,,, would you think it petty for your child to ask for a nickle? Of course not,, just as a parent if you are asked by a child for something you do not believe to be in the best interest of your child, you will say no,,, maybe you will explain why, maybe not ( Dad can i go play in the rain" when its 30*) will get a no from a loving parent even if that child were to throw a fit )

scripture says we have not because we ask not,,,,, God can got bless us and receive the acknowledgment he deserves when we are afraid to ask for what we want or need,,,,

the primary reason we do not ask for "things" is because we are afraid of being let down by God,,, in other words our faith is not as as strong as we think it is,, so we shy away from some requests ....

ask God for what you want and thank him when it comes,,, do not be afraid or bashful to make the request,,,,, i know it always brought joy to me when my children asked for things, even if it was not the best thing for them,, i did not think less of them but was happy they asked,,,, we are no different than God in that manor,, we are made in his image

build your faith and ask,,, he will not get mad or bothered that you did,, he might even give you the very thing you ask for,, so be sure of what you really want.... if you do not get it, you did not have it before, if you do get it you will know it was not "by chance or luck" and give Him his due thanks

Comment

Guys thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                    X