Shop Exhaust Fan, shutter style suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop Exhaust Fan, shutter style suggestions

My original plan is to AC my 1000sq ft shop(still is) but until then I want to put in an exhaust fan up at the peak. Due to the location I only have one garage door, so getting a breeze through is not happening.

Any suggestion on a shutter exhaust fan? How big do I want to go so I get so I get some air moving? If I put the fan on the opposite side of the garage door, the prevailing wind will help me move the air. Shop is 24 x 40 x 10 with 4/12 pitch

My shop is 24x40 and I made a window opening to accommodate a small attic fan. They come with louvered grates that are spring loaded to close when the fan is not on. Mine isn't at the peak but high enough to not waste wall space.

Comment

Grainger, go big as you can afford.

Comment

Those shutters will not stay intact very long before a storm deposits the blades in the yard.
        I strongly suggest a rain hood to protect the shutter and helps prevent the interior of the building from water damage.
        To size the fan figure the cubic feet. Building with x length x average height. Average height would be the side wall x 1.25.
        You'll be looking at cubic feet.
        When looking through Grainger you'll see fans rated in CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute. This would let you determine the number of times you'll change the air in the building per minute. This usually provides for little comfort to people in the building. Bringing in hot air and exhausting it doesn't provide for much air movement at heights where you might need moving air. There is nothing going on to cool the outside air.
        Or.
        I'd suggest installing ridge vents in the peak of the roof and use pedestal fans to get air moving across your body.
        Ridge Vents may also be called Gravity Roof Vents.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
          Those shutters will not stay intact very long before a storm deposits the blades in the yard.
          I strongly suggest a rain hood to protect the shutter and helps prevent the interior of the building from water damage.
          To size the fan figure the cubic feet. Building with x length x average height. Average height would be the side wall x 1.25.
          When looking through Grainger you'll see fans rated in CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute. This would let you determine the number of times you'll change the air in the building per minute. This usually provides for little comfort to people in the building. Bringing in hot air and exhausting it doesn't provide for much air movement at heights where you might need moving air. There is nothing going on to cool the outside air.
          Or.
          I'd suggest installing ridge vents in the peak of the roof and use pedestal fans to get air moving across your body.

Interesting take on the shutters, I have 6 fans (42”) with shutters than have been running 6 years and only problem has been 2 that needed lube so that they would close when fan was off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
            Or.
            Thanks for the info. The roof has already been sprayed foamed. So ridge vent aren't an option.

What brand did you have come off so I can stay away from them?

Comment

Americraft fans

If you need their contact info message me.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                Thanks for the info. The roof has already been sprayed foamed. So ridge vent aren't an option.

What brand did you have come off so I can stay away from them?
                Grainger should be reasonably good quality.
                I've spent the past 50 years manufacturing the shutters but no OEM accounts with fan manufacturers. Ours is cost prohibitive to them.
                There was a company that mass produced the shutters for the fan folks. We never saw a brand name on those bad shutters.
                Luck of the draw and weather.

Comment

A couple of these would make a world of difference, and be a pretty easy retro-fit. I dang sure wouldn't let the foam insulation stop me.......

Comment

Working...
                  X