PSA for those who drive a new diesel Super Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA for those who drive a new diesel Super Duty

The 17+ trucks have a water separator on the drivers side underneath the cab that occasionally needs to be drained. It’s a 2-3 minute maintenance project that is easily completed, BUT the valve is a complete POS. They’re notorious for snapping the ears off that secure the valve in the locked/unlocked position. The problem is widely known on the Ford forums, and a replacement valve is only $4.

The problem is they’re on nationwide backorder since they’re so fragile. I tried to order them from multiple dealerships with no luck. Luckily on my last try they told me the same, but they managed to find 3 in Hand at a dealer a few hours away. In my truck I went, and I picked up 2. One spare to keep in my glove box. I wanted all 3, but figured I’d leave one for some unlucky guy to change his luck a little. This valve will prevent use of your truck! Go online and find one, then order it. Luckily I have another truck. Without it I would’ve been SOL. Just a warning before anyone else has to find out the hard way.

This little $4 part can leave you stranded.Click image for larger version

Name:	1C43C8EB-26C0-47BA-8A86-A5350F5FA61D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	24542600

Comment

Whats the part number on the bag?

Comment

Plastic parts!

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
          Whats the part number on the bag?
          this please

Comment

2017+ Super Duty - Water Separator Drain Valve Broken. - I went out to the shop thismorning and crawled under my truck to drain the water separator for the first time. Opened the valve and began to drain some fuel out into a big glass pickle jar. Made the rookie mistake and waited until the jar was just about full...

I went out to the shop thismorning and crawled under my truck to drain the water separator for the first time. Opened the valve and began to drain some fuel out into a big glass pickle jar. Made the rookie mistake and waited until the jar was just about full before I started closing the valve. As I was getting a shower in good ol' #2, I fumbled with the valve to get it shut. I turned it clockwise and CRACK. I broke off one of the little plastic ears/pins that rides in the grooves of fuel filter housing bottom. Fortunately it's keeping fuel from dribbling out but I wouldn't dare start the truck up, let alone drive it with the drain valve/plug barely holding on. Once my shower was over, I looked closer at the design of the drain valve. I realized that when the drain valve is in the OPEN position, it actually drops out of the tapered grooves. The correct method of closing it requires you to push up on the drain valve and then turning it clockwise until it seats. Called up the dealer and ordered 2 drain valve/plugs part number HC3Z-9J305-A. Figured I would order a second one to have as a spare. Learn from my mistakes. Don't wait until your jar is darn near overflowing before trying to close the valve and push the valve up into its groves before attempting to close it.
            It amazes me what cheap junk ALL automobile manufacturers use.

Comment

In stock for $8.50: https://www.ebay.com/i/253377810616?chn=ps

Comment

Stupid. No reason they couldn’t have used a brass NPT plug easily available at Home Depot besides saving $1 in a $70k truck.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                  Stupid. No reason they couldn’t have used a brass NPT plug easily available at Home Depot besides saving $1 in a $70k truck.
                  And we always hear the manufacturers touting about how wonderful the lightweight fuel-saving parts are in light duty vehicles as well as big rigs. Chromed plastic that is just cheap made junk. We don’t get to have aluminum grills or actual steel. Not unless it’s afternarket. I don’t know about you guys, but cars and pickups with all this plastic is not impressive to me. There’s nothing quality about any of it.

Comment

If you search the part number in Amazon there is a company selling aluminum versions of the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by chad74 View Post
                      this please
                      hc3z-9j305-a.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                        That won't fit 17+

Comment

Working...
                        X