Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
    Every managed a classroom with 25-27 5 year olds?

My wife is veteran teacher...probably one if rhe best teachers in the satae ( and i am not biased) and she thinks a gun in the hands of teachers is a bad idea. Or at least on the little kids campusess.
    Why does she think it's a bad idea....on little kids campuses?

Comment

I dont think its right at all to say that this kid or any kid chose their particular school because they knew it was gun free. I believe they chose the school because that is the source of their frustration and antagonist.

What I get tired of hearing is that this kid was okay to wear a trench coat to school, and that this was somehow normal attire.

Tired of hearing that he was addressed by law enforcement prior to the shooting, and nothing was done.

Tired of hearing about kids treating other kids like ish, and that's okay because we all went through it and we didn't shoot anybody.

Tired of kids being allowed to live their lives online and in fantasy worlds.

Want metal detectors at main entry. All other entries should be locked entries / exits that only allow entry from the teacher / badge. Two armed officers running the main entry and on patrol throughout the schools. An alarm button in every room to notify patrol of an attack.

I really dont like the idea of Teachers having guns. Getting into a shoot out with a kid who makes it past the security measures with a room full of children just doesn't sound like a good answer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        Only thing i will say about this.. is i do believe the era of medicating people instead of forcing them to develop coping mechanisms plays a large part in the wussification and poor-me attitudes of recent generations.
        "Mentally ill" is overused.... and excuses way too many things...and the medications prescribed arent teaching them how to deal with any stresses and in many of these cases increase the chances of psychological breaks.
        need proof? at some point , pretty much all these mass killers were either diagnosed and/or prescribed these anti-psychotic medications, given an acronym that explains their behaviours, and never taught to deal with **** other than pop pills.
        I agree with this. Had this discussion/argument with a friend last Friday. She claimed her nephew was diagnosed with severe ADHD when he was 2 and has been medicated since. I asked a simple question how does a 2 yr old get clinically diagnosed? They are still crapping their diapers. Most likely he was a undisciplined little ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          No kidding? You mean bigger issues like shooting their classmates?

Your boys probably aren’t going to shoot you a school, but I’m with Kuma. If you own a gun, be responsible. Lock it up. I’m all for holding adults responsible for what minors do with the guns they own.

No kidding.

I’m fine with being responsible for my son ‘s actions.

And yes, if a kids feels that taking another human life is even a consideration for dealing with what he is feeling then there are bigger problems than the gun.

If there is a will there is a way with or without access to a gun.

Comment

I think everyone agrees that top priority is making schools more secure. As difficult and expensive as that is, it is the easy part. The difficult - if not impossible - part of the equation is reversing the cultural rot that turns teenagers into mass murderers. That cannot be done through legislation. You can't pass laws requiring parents to raise their children with basic morals and human compassion. You can't pass a law requiring everyone to follow the God of the Bible. Violent video games and movies are not going to be "un-invented". School security will help but if a kid wants to kill a bunch of innocents and go out in a blaze of glory, any public place will do. It is hard to see any top-down, government based answers that give much hope. It sounds trite, but I guess all we can do is each try to improve our little corner of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I think everyone agrees that top priority is making schools more secure. As difficult and expensive as that is, it is the easy part. The difficult - if not impossible - part of the equation is reversing the cultural rot that turns teenagers into mass murderers. That cannot be done through legislation. You can't pass laws requiring parents to raise their children with basic morals and human compassion. You can't pass a law requiring everyone to follow the God of the Bible. Violent video games and movies are not going to be "un-invented". School security will help but if a kid wants to kill a bunch of innocents and go out in a blaze of glory, any public place will do. It is hard to see any top-down, government based answers that give much hope. It sounds trite, but I guess all we can do is each try to improve our little corner of the world.
              Spot on, as usual, John. It's beyond sad to see the cultural rot happening around us at ever-increasing speed. Things were never perfect, clearly. But we're losing Western Christian culture at a rapid pace. Heck, we're losing Texas culture at a rapid pace. I wish I knew how to turn it around and fix it at a rapid pace. I do know that if we don't individually and collectively turn to God, it won't get fixed. As much as more and more folks don't want to hear it these days, Jesus is still the answer. And He is still the answer for His people even if the culture around us continues to rot and decay. I sure wish the culture around us would embrace the Lord again though. I hate to think about the world my eventual grandkids will be stuck with if our culture continues down the path it's currently on.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Spot on, as usual, John. It's beyond sad to see the cultural rot happening around us at ever-increasing speed. Things were never perfect, clearly. But we're losing Western Christian culture at a rapid pace. Heck, we're losing Texas culture at a rapid pace. I wish I knew how to turn it around and fix it at a rapid pace. I do know that if we don't individually and collectively turn to God, it won't get fixed. As much as more and more folks don't want to hear it these days, Jesus is still the answer. And He is still the answer for His people even if the culture around us continues to rot and decay. I sure wish the culture around us would embrace the Lord again though. I hate to think about the world my eventual grandkids will be stuck with if our culture continues down the path it's currently on.
                these

Comment

How about just having a culture of good people doing good things no matter what religion they choose to believe in?

I wish EVERYONE would embrace being neighborly and developing a community again. Sit out on the front porch / driveway and be involved with one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    I hear you.

But if you asked her what does she suggest, what is her idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    As a teacher, she thinks that there must begin a "reprogramming" starting immediately. There must be a way to begin to instill the value of human life back into the hearts and minds of the future generations...what that is...who knows. It seems like (to her) that there is only reaction and no pro-action. Education, punishment, prevention...all are needed to play a part.

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    I completely respect your wife’s opinion and career. It takes a special person filled with patience and desire to do it correctly. Many teachers are angels walking on the Earth.

We shouldn’t make a determination for every classroom in every school based on a room of 5 year old children however.

The what if game.....

What if a teacher at Sandy Hook had a concealed weapon and could have ended it 20 children earlier?
                    Between you and me...I would rather she be packing, I told her of ways to be able to lock weapons very secure in classrooms...she seemed interested and willing if really secure.

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    Why does she think it's a bad idea....on little kids campuses?
                    Mostly her reservation comes from knowing her fellow teachers (and herself) she sees value in having those on the campus armed just not the teachers she says.
                    Last edited by Death from Above; 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

There are a lot of K9's being retired from the military give them to the school districts to use.

Comment

This is disturbing...sigh, not even sure where to start. Need Burnadell on the case!! Wow, the brazenness of it thought & to see it being released?? Like a punch in the gut!!

'Active shooter' video game prompts outrage in wake of mass shootings

"Active Shooter," a video game that allows players to simulate a school shooting, prompted outrage in the wake of multiple mass shootings at American schools.

Comment

Shane, the end result will be a "New Jerusalem" after heaven and earth have passed away... God has so clearly told us in His Word what's coming... Unfortunately it is happening at warp speed and getting faster now exponentially... just as He said it would. Make sure your grandbabies know The Lord, and when Tribulation comes, they will be counted in That Number. I work toward that end each and every day. Just like you and John have said, it is up to each of us personally... It is not impossible to turn it around if each one becomes focused on the end goal, to have your name written in The Lambs Book of Life... If it is God's will, He can make it happen. If and it's a BIG IF, it happens, it will absolutely begin one of us at a time just like Christ did when He came... He started by picking one disciple at a time and teaching them... Same principle is true today...
                          God Bless America Again...

Comment

Working...
                          X