Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
tadmaryperry
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: ?
Default car sale question

Question for you all....I sold a guy our '68 Mustang about 5 months ago. He called last night saying he has been working out of town and just got the opportunity to get the title transferred, only now he has lost the title. I have a bill of sale. Do I have to apply for lost title and go through all of that, or is it legally his responsibility? Thank you!
tadmaryperry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Chad74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

I'd let him fix his own mistake. It's not your fault he is irresponsible.
Chad74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Without a title, he has to either do a bonded title with bill of sale, or you have to file for lost title and redo the transaction. In the meantime you technically own the car. If both of you go together to the tax office they might be able to work it out. I'd make him do all the work.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
alwaysinshorts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
Without a title, he has to either do a bonded title with bill of sale, or you have to file for lost title and redo the transaction. In the meantime you technically own the car. If both of you go together to the tax office they might be able to work it out. I'd make him do all the work.
If you got what you wanted for the car and he wasn't a jerk then i agree with the above. Just make time to go with him and get it done. No need to be mean about it. Things happen and you obviously had the same love for a particular car so just be nice.
alwaysinshorts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmaryperry View Post
Question for you all....I sold a guy our '68 Mustang about 5 months ago. He called last night saying he has been working out of town and just got the opportunity to get the title transferred, only now he has lost the title. I have a bill of sale. Do I have to apply for lost title and go through all of that, or is it legally his responsibility? Thank you!

Have him call the tax office and let him handle it. You don't need to do anything. It's a great learning experience for him.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Sounds like his problem now.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

You can file for a lost title since the last one was in your name. I've done it before. It's not a big deal. Obviously he should reimburse you for the charges by the state.

These things will happen and when they do, it's an opportunity to help others.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
ramrod
Six Point

i would let him file for the lost title, all he needs is a bill of sale and time.
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

No big deal really. Have him do all the legwork, but I would help him out. No reason to make things hard for someone just because you can. File for the lost title, the state will mail duplicate to you or lienholder if you had a loan against it, then sign it. It will cost $28.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Kills-myth
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co.

It's up to you but going online and filing for a lost title is quick and easy but getting a bonded title sounds like a royal PITA.
Kills-myth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

If it's as simple as doing it online it won't take any more time out of your day then surfing on here. Accidents happen and it's your good deed for the day. I would still do it if I had to go to the tax office even though always seem to spend at least an hour at those places in line but I would definitely take my time and do it at my convenience. Think about how much it would suck to be in his shoes.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
CaptainDave
Ten Point

No fun. As stated by a few, you might as well try and help them if reasonably possible.

With that said, that's why I sold my last truck to CarMax. Been there and done that. Sold a car to a guy about 10 years back that never transferred the title. Talk about a mess with the HCTRA as he decided to rack up a few toll violations with the car still being in my name.

Don't think I'd sell another vehicle on the private market without meeting the buyer at the tax office. Some people will always have some sort of excuse. At the end of the day, it's pure laziness to not get the title transferred within a reasonable time frame.

Last edited by CaptainDave; 05-23-2018 at 11:02 AM.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #13
slomo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor and Nolan county

I would just go down to the local dmv. and get a lost title. last time I did this it took about 10 min, $5.50 and I had the title when I left. No big deal at all. I work at a dealership and you wouldn't believe how many people lose the title to their vehicle.
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
Sounds like his problem now.
Yes but the only problem with that is they title is not in his name yet. Yes he has a bill of sale but if he goes through toll roads, gets a ticket etc that could be a pain in the but!!
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Chance here to make a difference and help another person. They might even remember your effort and not hesitate to help somebody else in the future when the opportunity presents itself.

Society as a whole spends too much time justifying who is at fault vs "How can I make a difference/help?"
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
You can file for a lost title since the last one was in your name. I've done it before. It's not a big deal. Obviously he should reimburse you for the charges by the state.

These things will happen and when they do, it's an opportunity to help others.
x2
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #17
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
At the end of the day, it's pure laziness to not get the title transferred within a reasonable time frame.
It's usually $$ when you get right down to it. People don't realize they have to pay that sales tax to transfer the title. Some don't plan ahead.

I sold a boat once and 2 years later, it was still in my name, game wardens showed up at my door trying to shake me down looking for the rig but it had been sold 2 years prior. I sent them to the new owner's place of business and he had the titles in his safe. They came back and tried to tell me it was my responsibility to get the titles transferred but I told them to butt a stump.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #18
Freer
Four Point

Hunt In: Freer, Webb County

A good way to make sure the buyer transfers the vehicle in a timely manner is to remove your plates and sticker. You can print a transit permit from the state DMV website that allows the buyer 5 days to transfer the vehicle.
Freer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #19
tadmaryperry
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: ?

We are filing the lost title. Just want to get it done. Thank you for all the answers!
tadmaryperry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
webstertroy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: On a river

You can get a certified copy of title for $50 I just did it at county office in dallas was fast and easy
webstertroy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
Freer
Four Point

Hunt In: Freer, Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstertroy View Post
You can get a certified copy of title for $50 I just did it at county office in dallas was fast and easy
What else did you pay for? Cert copy of title is $5.45 in person, $2.00 if by mail.
Freer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
armadillophil
Ten Point

You can get duplicate title for like 10 bucks
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top