Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Hockley
Eight Point

Default Sling TV vs Cable?

So I need to get some kind of plan in place. Was a U-verse guy before, but was thinking about going the Direct TV route this time around. I keep hearing about sling TV though. What is the deal with it? I pretty much watch anything that isnít sports on the DVR, but I do want to make sure I have ESPN, History Channel etc.

Also need an internet provider. This is in Katy.

Whatís the green screenís thoughts?
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

I have internet and use a Roku box to stream TV. I have "DirectTV Now" service that i can stream on my Roku or watch on my phone or laptop. Its just an app so no dish on my house and no cutting out in the rain but same chaneels. The Roku has tons of app to watch like HULU, Netflix, Amazon prime, HBO Go. I have the basic DirectTV Now line up which has all the channels we wanted. You can see them on demand too not just live.

I had the U450 and was paying a ton now paying about $100 total and half of that is internet.

Last edited by justintyme8303; 04-12-2018 at 09:30 AM.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I am the opposite of justintyme all I watch is sports, mainly football, NASCAR, and college BB during March madness. Nearly all of the apps, sling tv, netflix etc. are mostly movies which I care nothing about watching. Wish they had a good sports app to get all of my sports channels and the few other shows I watch.
texan4ut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

PlayStation Vue. Enough said and it is great
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
buckfan50
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County
Default Set

You need to check out SetTV. As long as your internet is fast enough. It has everything for $20 a month even the NFL ticket.
buckfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I need to look into something. Directv and internet bundled it getting way too expensive. Even with them reducing the bill
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
TEX_hunt_AS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere until I find a lease

We are pretty happy with DirectTv Now as well, we watch through our apple tv, so we switch between DirectTv Now, Netflix, youtube, etc.
TEX_hunt_AS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
backwoods
Eight Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

We went from cable to streaming services and I kind of regret it.

The #1 problem is that there is no way (that I've found) to be able to skip commercials. With cable, you have a DVR that you can fast forward through commercials. DVR's are available on some streaming platforms, but they only allow you to record and not fast forward. Having to watch commercials has cut my TV viewing in half so maybe it is a good thing.

The second problem is the added complexity and cost. We have Sling. Started with the Orange + Blue package and have been slowly adding packages. I dont watch a ton of TV, but it seems like any show that interests me I have to add a package to pick up that channel. To watch the "Waco" show on the "Paramount Network" I had to add the "Comedy" package. To watch "Meateater" and other outdoor shows I had to add the "heartland" package. There is no way to watch some shows like "Lone Star Law" unless you have cable. I started watching History Channels "Men Who Built America" but they conveniently excluded the final episode #4 so I had to go to Amazon Prime to buy the last episode.
On top of all of that, we also pay monthly for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and CBS (the only way to stream their shows like Survivor is to pay for a subscription)
Watching TV has become a sort of game that involves research and planning.

All of this may still be cheaper than cable, but it is certainly more complex and I miss cable.

Last edited by backwoods; 04-12-2018 at 09:59 AM.
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
PlayStation Vue. Enough said and it is great
this with netflix and amazon prime are about $70 cheaper than directv was for us. plus amazon prime gives me free shipping when i go crazy buying stuff online.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
antonlsu
Four Point

Hunt In: Victoria TX & SW MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfan50 View Post
You need to check out SetTV. As long as your internet is fast enough. It has everything for $20 a month even the NFL ticket.
Never heard of SET.. I use Sling TV & pay about 50 a month.. Will need to look into this
antonlsu is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfan50 View Post
looks very promising ... do you buy 1 black box (set top box - $149 ) that will broadcast to 3 TV's, or do you need 3 of the set top boxes ... 1 for each TV ?
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
texan4ut
Ten Point

Looks like set tv works with a Firestick, no box needed. Going to check it out today.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

The problem with all the streaming apps and packages is they require reliable internet. In PA most everybody had actual cable run to their houses from the pole, not a dish on the house with cable from the dish to the box. I find the internet here frustrating at times. Even having a good line of sight to the tower (no trees) we have issues with varying speeds or going out altogether. We have a 50mbs plan, thankfully my wife's work pays for it because she works from home, but it slows WAY down quite often. That is the only thing keeping us from going to an internet only setup. I worry those fluctuating speeds will lead to lag and a frustrating viewing experience.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
I am the opposite of justintyme all I watch is sports, mainly football, NASCAR, and college BB during March madness. Nearly all of the apps, sling tv, netflix etc. are mostly movies which I care nothing about watching. Wish they had a good sports app to get all of my sports channels and the few other shows I watch.

Sling has plenty of sports channels available.

I have ESPN 1,2,3
I have 6 Fox Sports network channels
I have FS1 & 2

Plus some Iím sure Iím missing. The problem is local blackouts that you will get from time to time.

Itís only a matter of time before the cable/sat companies will have to adjust because lots of folks are going to streaming TV.

That or the broadcasters will have to release blackouts for local games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Before you jump into Settv, make sure you understand what it is. Depending on how you feel about it, it's definitely a grey area. It is an IPTV service. It doesn't bother me a lot. I use another IPTV service. With these services the reliability is not always there. Streams and quality can vary.

With the legit services make sure you know what your getting with the package. How many streams can you have simultaneously? Do they have on demand? Do they have commercials and if so can you skip?
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
Hockley
Eight Point

Thanks for the replies guys. I need to do something pretty quick, we will be back in the house next weekend. Skipping commercials is a must. Keep the advice coming.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #17
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Sling has plenty of sports channels available.

I have ESPN 1,2,3
I have 6 Fox Sports network channels
I have FS1 & 2

Plus some I’m sure I’m missing. The problem is local blackouts that you will get from time to time.

It’s only a matter of time before the cable/sat companies will have to adjust because lots of folks are going to streaming TV.

That or the broadcasters will have to release blackouts for local games.

I saw a post yesterday about a web service that you can pay ($5/mo) that will allow you to watch events that are "blacked out" in your area... I'll search for now. I've recently set up with Sling and am missing Spurs games while living in Houston.

EDIT: It's called unlocator. Looks like you configure your device to allow you to watch the games.

https://unlocator.com/

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 04-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

I'm in Cypress and switched to Sling about a year ago.. There's no going back, it's awesome! My favorite thing is the channel grid layout, looks just like cable. I hate the weird blocky "netflix" style layout most streaming companies have... I tried Hulu and couldn't get past the awful interface.. As far as reliability, it does have rare "hiccups" but they are less common than my cable had, seriously.

Xfinity is the fastest internet around. Way faster than AT&T and a little bit cheaper. You'll have to get your own modem but they're only like $45-$50 nowadays. Get the 60mbps or whatever it is, any faster and your wasting money. It truly won't go faster.

For Sling there's 2 main packages, one has kids channels and no sports and the other is the opposite (their smart! lol). I got both. I added the DVR and their special $10 for 4 package add-on. Out the door I pay about $58 after taxes/fees..

The big kicker is Sling doesn't have NBC in the Houston area, which is huge because alot of sports and good shows and specials come on it. Xfinity has a deal though where you can get the basic 10 Channels (or however many channels) for an extra $10 per month. For NBC it's worth every penny.

So I think total I pay about $125 per month, but I have fast internet and every channel there is basically. I was paying $170-$180 for cable with about the same channels and slower internet.

Roku boxes are the best! I'd get it over a Firestick any day of the week! They even have one with a headphone jack on the remote so if the kids or momma is watching TV they can just plug in and not annoy you.

On another note, if you want to save cash and not buy a Roku box you can get a TCL TV (there's alot of different models). They are very high quality and have Roku built in.

Last edited by Deers & Beers; 04-12-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
sasqy
Eight Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

Roku,Netflix,Amazonvideo
All ya need
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #20
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasqy View Post
Roku,Netflix,Amazonvideo
All ya need

Will add Hulu and some form of a antenna to this list. We have been on it for a few months, and wouldnít go back. We rarely use the antenna, but itís nice for some things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #21
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have tons of sports channels like ESPN, EPSN II, SEC and many others just no hunting or fishing.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #22
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

So what are your lists of must have channels or shows?

You can get away from alot of commercials but not all depending on your list of channels or shows you want to watch.

like on HULU i pay the extra couple of bucks to have none. Netflix and Amazon have none. If I watch on demand like on history channel app I watch mountain men then i deal with them but its not a big deal to me.

We also have HD antenna in the attic for local channels works great.

With DirectTV Now subscription and others you can watch all the same channels on the apps you just login with your account.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #23
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deers & Beers View Post
Roku boxes are the best! I'd get it over a Firestick any day of the week! They even have one with a headphone jack on the remote so if the kids or momma is watching TV they can just plug in and not annoy you.

On another note, if you want to save cash and not buy a Roku box you can get a TCL TV (there's alot of different models). They are very high quality and have Roku built in.
X2 on the ROKU with the headphone jack it also has ethernet port which i like over wireless but it has both I run mine wired.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #24
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Itís only a matter of time before the cable/sat companies will have to adjust because lots of folks are going to streaming TV.
They already are thats why the offer things ike DirectTV Now. Its still Direct TV they just added the "Now" in the name because you stream it online vs having a dish.

The other thing is the court battle on net neutrality.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #25
texan4ut
Ten Point

Update SetTv I set up a 3 day free trial for SetTv on my Fire Stick. Wasn't too hard to do, did have to ask a question or two using the chat feature on their web site. Once set up it is great. I have way more channels 500+ than I need and just scanning through looks like all of my favorites are there, plus NFL Sunday ticket. The down side is with Dtv I could set up a favorite list and only have certain channels in it. Don't think I can do that with SetTv but for $20.00 a month I can live with that. Once the free trial is over I will be signing up. If you order 3,6, or 12 month package you save a little bit. Fire Stick is $29.99 on Amazon.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #26
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasqy View Post
Roku,Netflix,Amazonvideo
All ya need
I nixed Netflix when they appointed Susan Rice to the board. I'm not one for boycotting but that lady is a crook. Sling and a buddies Hulu/HBO account is all I need Lol
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

If skipping commercials is a must then cheap streaming isn't for you. Some apps allow it, most don't. I dumped cable 3 years ago and will never go back. I still have to pay $60 a month for quality stand alone internet, $8 Netflix, and $25 for SlingTV, but I'm no longer being pimped by AT&T. Only thing I miss is Fox News and Discovery Channel. They got that sewed up tight. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
I've got Sling TV and I've got all the ESPN channels as well as Fox Sports channels.

And I have Sportsman's Channel, Outdoor Network, and the Fishing Network channel.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #29
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Thinking about making the switch from cable to Sling. Can you stream with a SmartTV or still have to get a streaming device like Roku?
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #30
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Thinking about making the switch from cable to Sling. Can you stream with a SmartTV or still have to get a streaming device like Roku?
You can but limited to the apps loaded on your tv thats were a device like Ruko comes into play.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #31
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
If skipping commercials is a must then cheap streaming isn't for you. Some apps allow it, most don't. I dumped cable 3 years ago and will never go back. I still have to pay $60 a month for quality stand alone internet, $8 Netflix, and $25 for SlingTV, but I'm no longer being pimped by AT&T. Only thing I miss is Fox News and Discovery Channel. They got that sewed up tight. Good luck.

I have Fox News and Discovery with my DirectTV Now subscription on the basic plan. Just have to compare the lineups to see what you may lose to get them back.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #32
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
I've got Sling TV and I've got all the ESPN channels as well as Fox Sports channels.

And I have Sportsman's Channel, Outdoor Network, and the Fishing Network channel.
What packages to you have to get those channels? I wouldn't mind have the outdoor type channels back but thats how i ended up with UVerse450. I dont want to pay an arm and leg to see 2 channels
Old 04-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #33
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

I looked at that...would have to give up Fox Sports Southwest and miss the Ranger games (if I traded DirectTVNow for Sling).

bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #34
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

The sports package and the heartland package.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #35
Hudson05
Six Point

I really like DirecTV Now. We had Sling for a while and to get the channels we wanted it started to be way too much per month.
Hudson05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #36
Hockley
Eight Point

Man this just confused me more! I am going to have to go back to read and research all of this! Thanks for the replies though!

I know I want to be able to record shows or watch on demand style. Recording local channels would be really nice, but I don't think that is happening right? I do need kids channels as well as the sports and outdoors. Definitely want History and Discovery as well.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #37
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
Man this just confused me more! I am going to have to go back to read and research all of this! Thanks for the replies though!

I know I want to be able to record shows or watch on demand style. Recording local channels would be really nice, but I don't think that is happening right? I do need kids channels as well as the sports and outdoors. Definitely want History and Discovery as well.
1. Sit down make a list of shows you must have.
2. Then search what channels you can see them
3. Then look to see which service you will need to subscribe to so you can see those shows.
4. Decide which streaming device you want to use for the above. I have RUkO and it came loaded with tons of free channels and alot are for kids.

For movies on demand you can subscribe to Netflix, Amazon prime, and HULU and never run out of things to watch.

For tv series HULU offers the latest seasons episodes next day from original air date. Netflix and prime are like a year behind but sometimes you have to jump from one to another since they dont always carry the same ones.

With DirectTV Now you can add HBO or Cinemax for only 5.00 best rate I have found so far for either.

To record local first buy an antenna and test it to see if you will be able to get the channels you want to record. If you can then buy a DVR.

The main thing is remember why your doing this because if its for money savings you will have to give up some things to save. otherwise you will be right back where you started.

Last edited by justintyme8303; 04-14-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #38
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

you will need to look at channel lineups but this may help. This is for TV services.

I have DirectTV Now w/HBO as my paid sub 40.00
HULU app w/no commercials when watching series 12.95
Netflix 16.00
Amazon Prime 99.99 a year but i buy alot online is why i have it finally using the video services.

So just over $77 a month plus my internet is $30 so about $107 a month from the $280 i was paying
Attached Images

Last edited by justintyme8303; 04-14-2018 at 12:08 AM.