Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
oneeye
Six Point

Default Charcuterie

Does anybody mess around with it? I completed my chamber about a month ago and filled it with cured meat last Sunday. 28 lbs of wild pork hams and bellies and 2 lbs of venison. Nothing has rotted yet!
Attached Images

oneeye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Jason85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can!

Iv been doing charcuterie for a couple years now. My chamber was flooded during Harvey and i have yet to build another one. How long have you been doing it? That's alot of meat to be putting in the chamber at one time... And from the look of it you have a lot of soft tissue/fat that will not cure. What process/technique did you use to cure the meat?

Last edited by Jason85; 04-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Jason85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Did you salt any of them with anything?
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
MetalMan2004
Six Point

I donít have a chamber or anything but Iím trying umai bags for the first time. I have a braezola about ready to eat. Might try it this weekend. Wish me luck...
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Something about that just does not look appealing. Not knocking it because I’ve never tried it but at first glance no thanks!

It never ceases to amaze me the broadness of things that everyone on this site does. I tend to not pay attention to most things in the world and this would be one thing that I had no idea existed. It’s interesting to see what different folks do as a hobby or other things.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
bullhead44
Ten Point

Ive never heard of this either
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Jason85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
Something about that just does not look appealing. Not knocking it because Iíve never tried it but at first glance no thanks!

It never ceases to amaze me the broadness of things that everyone on this site does. I tend to not pay attention to most things in the world and this would be one thing that I had no idea existed. Itís interesting to see what different folks do as a hobby or other things.
The color of meat has me wondering what process he used to cure the meat. The meat should not be brown like that. The cure itself keeps the meat pink which is why im asking what technique/process he used. And with that much meat in the chamber you will have a tough time controlling your humidity and moisture level.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Jason85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
Ive never heard of this either
charcuterie simply means cured meat. Like salami or dry cured sausages...

Last edited by Jason85; 04-13-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason85 View Post
charcuteries simply means cured meat. Like salami or dry cured sausages...
I just googled it. I like cured meats, but this pic doesnt look too appetizing.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

^ Yeah, I'm not a meat guy like Jason but based on the expertise (haha) I've gained watching food/travel channel, I'd say something isn't right. That looks like the stuff I pull out of the cooler after a couple days on ice. No offense, OP. Very interested in hearing about your setup and charcuterie, in general.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
oneeye
Six Point

The whole muscle pieces that didn't get rolled up were dredged in salt using the "salt box method". The bellies that got rolled got the same treatment with the addition of pink salt #2. It went into zip lock bags then into the fridge for 8 days under an equal amount of weight. I drained the excess water out of the bags and overhauled the meat twice during the curing time. Then everything was washed off, dried, weighed, tagged with the weight and then hung into the chamber. The chamber is a working upright commercial fridge. I used a manual temp controller plugged into the fridge to keep the temps from getting too hot. A small ceramic heater keeps the temps from getting too cold. An ultrasonic humidifier with an inline controller handles the humidity. The fan on the heater or the one on the fridge supplies my air movement. I have checked the temp and humidity twice everyday since I hung the meat and they are always within the parameters of what is safe. I have 2 methods for checking just to be sure of what is going on inside the chamber.

How were you doing it Jason?

Last edited by oneeye; 04-13-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
oneeye
Six Point

Meat cured this way is considered safe to eat when it has lost 30% of its original weight. Some let it go longer, but 30% is standard.
My daughter and I took all of the pieces out today for a visual inspection and weigh in. They all look good-no mold or rot. The metal halide lights in my shop don't do much for picture quality. Upon weighing, all of the weights were recorded on their tags and in my notebbok. After doing the math, we have lost 4% of our total starting weight . Some pieces had lost a bit more and some a bit less. So far everything is just as it should be. I sure hope I'm patient enough for this!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

I'm interested. I can see ham and bacon? Is that right? What else? Thought those and dried sausages would be it.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
oneeye
Six Point

Hams and bellies yes. Except the hams become prucittio and the bellies become pancetta once they are dried. I have a couple of venison hams in there also. I think any cut of meat can be cured this way. I'm hoping to make some pepperoni chubs soon and get them in there.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #15
Kingfisher789
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101

This site has good info. It’s definitely an art!
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
Jason85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeye View Post
The whole muscle pieces that didn't get rolled up were dredged in salt using the "salt box method". The bellies that got rolled got the same treatment with the addition of pink salt #2. It went into zip lock bags then into the fridge for 8 days under an equal amount of weight. I drained the excess water out of the bags and overhauled the meat twice during the curing time. Then everything was washed off, dried, weighed, tagged with the weight and then hung into the chamber. The chamber is a working upright commercial fridge. I used a manual temp controller plugged into the fridge to keep the temps from getting too hot. A small ceramic heater keeps the temps from getting too cold. An ultrasonic humidifier with an inline controller handles the humidity. The fan on the heater or the one on the fridge supplies my air movement. I have checked the temp and humidity twice everyday since I hung the meat and they are always within the parameters of what is safe. I have 2 methods for checking just to be sure of what is going on inside the chamber.

How were you doing it Jason?
Hey Oneeye, sorry for the late reply... I use the (EQ) method or equilibrium curing method. This method allows you more control and more consistancy with curing meat. While the saltbox method is deemed safe it doesn't guarantee your products will cure evenly. If each piece of meat had the proper amount of cure #2 then it would of stayed pink throughout the curing process. Also with using the saltbox method you never will know if the end product will be overly salty or just right. Thats why i choose to use the EQ method. My chamber setup was a commerical display cooler and i was using auber instruments plug-in-play controller. I ran a humidifier inside the chamber but my biggest issue was the condenser fan blowing to much air causing case hardening on my meat even though my temp and humidity were good. After talking with a lot of guys who used commercial refridgerators they all agree that using a regular refridgerator will give you more consistant results for curing meat. I hope you get the results your looking for! Keep us posted on how things go! If you need any help or have questions send me a PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
oneeye
Six Point

Thanks Jason. I'll look into the EQ method.

I too was worried about the large condenser fan and the large amount of air that it moves. But, it's staying cold so long here that most of that load of meat will be done before the fridge ever kicks on! If summer ever does get here I plan on putting a vertical baffle in to direct the moving air all the way to the bottom of the chamber. We'll see what happens.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Finally came back to this thread. Originally I had my doubts when I just saw the OP. The meat looks terrible and uncured... but I guess it is the picture/lighting quality?

I have done some charcuterie (pastrami, Canadian bacon, salt pork, sausage, etc), but have not done any of the dried or fermented meats yet. Have the temperature and humidity controllers, just haven't found a good deal on a small fridge to dedicate to it.

Would love to see your setup with a better camera!
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #19
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

This is very interesting to me and I'm in for the results. Good luck in the process and i'll be following.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #20
Jason85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeye View Post
Thanks Jason. I'll look into the EQ method.

I too was worried about the large condenser fan and the large amount of air that it moves. But, it's staying cold so long here that most of that load of meat will be done before the fridge ever kicks on! If summer ever does get here I plan on putting a vertical baffle in to direct the moving air all the way to the bottom of the chamber. We'll see what happens.
you only need a small amount of air moving through the chamber. I even put a baffle on the condenser fan to direct air from blowing directly on the meat and still had case hardening. Here is the link to a small coppa i cured that got case hardening from to much air blowing in the chamber.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=610852
Old 04-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #21
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason85 View Post
you only need a small amount of air moving through the chamber. I even put a baffle on the condenser fan to direct air from blowing directly on the meat and still had case hardening. Here is the link to a small coppa i cured that got case hardening from to much air blowing in the chamber.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=610852
That does look good. Never heard of Coppa. Think I'd be tempted to trim the edge.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
Jason85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
That does look good. Never heard of Coppa. Think I'd be tempted to trim the edge.
No need to trim the edges. If you vac seal it and put it in the fridge for a few months some if not all of the case hardening will go away. I didn't even bother trimming the case hardening. It was just a little chewy on the edges but the flavor was great!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
Jason85
Ten Point

How are things coming along? Any updated pics on how the meat looks?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
oneeye
Six Point

Sorry for the delay Jason. I have not looked at this forum in a few days. Thanks for checking. I answered your PM. Things are looking pretty good. It certainly does test one's patience! It finally warmed up here so my fridge is running now instead of the heater.