Ranch Investor Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
    Can someone explain how this works? I currently have W2, K-1 and 1099 income and would love to find a way to reduce my taxes utilizing land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ag, tree farm, if you have a business or LLC bring a client to write the place off. Honestly, it depends on your job , location and use of the property.

Comment

Great thread let’s keep it going.

Comment

Bought our place a couple of years ago. Grabbed a map, drew a circle that was 2hr or less from home. Kept going farther out till we could find most land for the money. Had no improvements paid $2450ac with 50% minerals. Put elec,highfence,barn, doublewide,septic had water to the road. Neighbor 100ac smaller with no improvements just sold for $4350ac. Otherside neighbors with same improvements and land plus has million lodge selling for 10k ac.
        Growing up always thought I needed 1k ac or more. Having 300ac with highfence animals and all improvements every weekend. It's all I can handle. Well maybe a little more acres. I feel with 1k ac or more better have a ranch hand.

Comment

Ranch Investor Wisdom

Would you guys rather have rd frontage or a fence as a boundary? There is place I’ve looked at that I like, but my drawback is a FM road that serves as a boundary. It’s 320 acres and has neighbors on 2 sides, a dead county road(goes to the neighbor) and the FM road. The farm to market rd is on the side of the property that is I consider to be the least attractive in terms of hunting.

Just trying to think about having a fence line with a blind/feeder/hunting neighbor or a FM road as a boundary.

Last edited by bowhuntertx; 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Comment

I think one side being road frontage is better than easement for access. Might not be best for hunting but good for resale and if you decide to subdivide in future

Comment

I’ve only bought land. Never sold it so I can’t tell you about that.

But make sure you factor in interest on the loan, property taxes and insurance on improvements. I’ve seen people buy commercial properties to flip however they end up paying a lot more in taxes and insurance than what they flip it for.

Comment

Took 6 years to find my place so take your time.
                  1. Distance. For me it was under 3 hours on the worst DFW traffic day.
                  2. Water .......Water ...Water ...Water
                  3. Power.
                  4.Who is next door and it matters !!!!
                  5. Views !
                  6. Fences.
                  7. Roads on property.

Comment

I’m bumping Tradag’s thread. I was looking at the “Land for sale” thread and this thread has valuable information in it pertaining to that thread.

Comment

Houses or land - either is a good purchase if the price is right

House prices are still high right now so I would hold land right now

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                        I’m bumping Tradag’s thread. I was looking at the “Land for sale” thread and this thread has valuable information in it pertaining to that thread.

Thanks for bumping this. I just read my post from 2017 and glad to see I followed my own advice when buying my second place.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Thanks for bumping this. I just read my post from 2017 and glad to see I followed my own advice when buying my second place.

Yes sir. We are in the process of figuring out just how much land we can afford. We have paid off both vehicles and the Ranger…and have zero credit card debt. I owe 14k on our travel trailer and have house payment with normal bills…utilities and insurance, daughter in College.

I’m still on a lease too which I know I should drop if saving for land.

Comment

First let me say my experience is limited in that I’ve only had four properties in my lifetime, a ten acre that I lived on, a twenty acre next to it, the 85 I live on now, and a 217 that we bought about 2008.

We sold the 20 acres and more than doubled our money, invested it in the Texas Tomorrow Plan and our son’s education was basically free. We had enough left over to buy him a nearly new car so that was a great investment. The 217 acre property was raw land that we bought at a good price. No minerals, but since I’ve been in the oilfield most of my life and knew it to be in an area far from any good play I wasn’t worried about anyone drilling on it. We sold it at a decent profit but owner financed it and that’s where the good profit came into play.

So I believe most of the comments to be spot on, except for losing money on the improvements. Leaving fencing out of the equation, everyone wants good roads and trails on a recreational property. The key is finding the right buyer. We sold ours with roads, trails, food plots, and a 1200 square foot newly built house in place to a couple that wanted a turn key property. They couldn’t be happier with it as it was ready for them at closing. They have been a breeze to deal with, very nice folks, and that monthly check looks pretty good too. I don’t think I could do nearly as well if I had to do it in today’s real estate situation.

Comment

Tagged, but would also like to know how much advice from 2017 is still viable today with the current insane prices

Comment

Would not buy anything without live water

Comment

Working...
                                X