smoking a pork butt on pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking a pork butt on pellet smoker?

Going to try to smoke a pork butt on my pellet smoker this weekend. What rubs do you use, cooking temps etc... Never done this before so any advice is needed.

When I smoke them I usually keep the smoker around 225. I don't use a pellet smoker, but I cannot see why it would be any different.

Eagle

Comment

I debone and rub with Famous Daves Rib Rub and light brown sugar. Smokey sweet deliciousness. You won't be sorry. Talk about some Goooood sliders. My mouth is watering.

Comment

I haven’t done a pork butt on my pit boss yet, but I did do a big wild hog shoulder a few weeks ago. I set it at 225 straight on the pit for 3 hours, sopping every 30 minutes. Then I wrapped it in foil for another 3 hours to finish it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckslayertx View Post
          I debone and rub with Famous Daves Rib Rub and light brown sugar. Smokey sweet deliciousness. You won't be sorry. Talk about some Goooood sliders. My mouth is watering.
          why do you debone your butt?

that sounds a little odd after reading it, but I still want to know why

Comment

I smoked one on my Green Mountain Grill a couple months ago using Smart's recipe. It turned out great.

Comment

225 for 5-6 hours total. I make my own rub, but there are lots of good rubs out there. Buy a couple and try different ones until you find one you like. I spritz mine with pineapple or apple juice one every hour for the first 3 hours. I wrap in parchment paper after 3 hours and probe after 5 hours total to check internal temp and feel how easy the probe slides in. they are done after 5 hours sometimes, and sometimes it takes longer.

Comment

I use salt, pepper, paprika for color, and a lot of brown sugar for my rub on pork butts.

Comment

On the Rec Tec, figure 1.5-2 hours per pound. First 2 or 3 hours I have it as low as it will go for a lot of smoke. Then bump it up to 225 until I get an internal temp of 203+. After it does through the stall and hits 170, I'll wrap in foil until finsished. Wrap it good so you can catch the juices. When I take it off the smoker, I'll wrap in a towel and place in an ice chest for 1-2 hours. Then shred it. Pour juice back on it.

For prep, we cover with mustard, just enough to help the rub stick. For rub, we just use Pork Rub from HEB...can't think of the brand. Apply very liberally.

Pork butts are super easy to do.

Comment

I keep my rub simple, salt, pepper, some paprika and a little garlic powder. I cook mine around 250 and pull at an internal temp of 200.

Comment

Rub reicpe

This is my favorite pork rub recipe if you want to do all the work. Smother the butt in mustard and apply the rub generously. Leave in on overnight in the fridge. I like cooking at higher temperatures like 275. Get yourself a digital meat thermometer with multiple probes. Insert one probe into the thickest part of the butt without touching the bone. Once the internal temperature reaches 160 to 165 F wrap in in foil and continue cooking until 205 f internal temp and it probes tender for pulled pork or 190 f
                      if you want sliced, When you pull it off let it rest at least 20 minutes or more before you dig into it!!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

I may have to try this this weekend, sounds good, I think i'll try the sliced for sliders..

Comment

Crank the temp up to 300. Wrap when internal temp gets around 270. Pull it off when internal temp is around 200 or you can pull the bone out clean. Wrap again and place in a dry cooler to rest for a couple of hours. the longer you let her rest, the mo better she will be.

For rub use 2 parts black pepper, one part salt, one part cumin, one part brown sugar, one part paprika and a pinch of cayenne.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            why do you debone your butt?

that sounds a little odd after reading it, but I still want to know why
                            I think that contrary to some opinions for Butt it doesn't increase flavor. I just find it easier to work with the finished product and you can get better contact with rub on interior surfaces. Smoke gets down into the meat better. You can just shred it in the pan and leave it set to absorb juices in the bottom of the pan. It will soak up those juices. I don't know I like the way it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by buckslayertx View Post
                              i think that contrary to some opinions for butt it doesn't increase flavor. I just find it easier to work with the finished product and you can get better contact with rub on interior surfaces. Smoke gets down into the meat better. You can just shred it in the pan and leave it set to absorb juices in the bottom of the pan. It will soak up those juices. I don't know i like the way it turns out.
                              10-4

Comment

Working...
                              X