Recommend a 6+ person tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a 6+ person tent

I have a 2 person Marmot. Great tent, but we are a family of 4 and my wife likes extra room. I want a tent that holds up against wind and rain, if you have a tent that you have tested in both, please let me know.

Looking at Cabelas or REI brand, but it can be any brand.

Comment

I used an older version of this tent three years ago to camp in at the deer lease. I ended up leaving it up from October to February and it withstood high winds and rain. It had a lot of room and the screened in porch was nice.

Comment

If you are going the REI route they have their anniversary sale that starts at the end of the week.

Comment

I'm concerned that REI tent can't hold up in wind. Shape looks suspect.

Comment

What type of usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
              What type of usage.
              Camping out of a car.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                I'm concerned that REI tent can't hold up in wind. Shape looks suspect.
                If the wind is bad enough to blow that REI tent away, you probably don't want to be in a tent anyway.

Comment

I've got a north face bastion. Id maybe sell it if u want it. We only used it once. It's a good tent

Comment

I like the Cabela's Alaska guide model. We used ours in some pretty severe wind and rain with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                      Camping out of a car.
                      I have several tents like North Face Mountain 25 from my backpacking days. I now do a lot of family car camping and have been pleasantly surprised with the Coleman Prairie breeze large tent. We camp every summer in the mountains of Colorado,Montana and Wyoming and it has performed great. We are pretty picky with location and try to be pretty sheltered by trees.
                      I wouldn't take it on Denali but for backcountry drive up camping it's been great.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        I like the Cabela's Alaska guide model. We used ours in some pretty severe wind and rain with no problems.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi...nt/1571266.uts
                        Definately a great product. Not sure what ops budget is.

Comment

The taller the profile, the more susceptible to wind it will be. Also, the camp sight location will make a big difference when it comes to wind. I sold a 3 room cabin style tent recently. The first time I used it, we had a funnel cloud skip over us. And there were 40mph winds when I woke up. It was also raining. Two of the steel poles collapsed. But those were replaceable. And I was still dry inside. I had that tent for about 20 years before I sold it. And it weathered other high winds up to 30MPH without problem with some higher gust. It was made by Coalman. The ones with a "tub style polyethylene floor" are good in my book as they do not let water soak up through the floor. Otherwise it is best to put down a poly tarp, plastic sheeting, or a mat. Just make sure your sight has not glass or sticks where it can poke a hole through the floor. The one I have now is a "4 season" "6 man" Bushnell instant tent made for car camping. It has about half the room of the Coalman I had. But sets up much faster with one person. And I can stand up in it too. I expect to have it as many years also.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I have the 8 and its awesome. Rain and wind have not been a problem.

Comment

Flexbow by Kodiak canvas.

Comment

Working...
                              X