No announcement yet.

Texas Sized Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd use a chain or cable to stake the tire down. Might help some.

Comment

After talking it over with Pistol that's what we are going to do. And, find a way to stake down the wire.

Comment

interesting

Comment

Good news bad news...

On Saturday my dad came out to hunt hogs. I've been seeing 4 x 40 pounders coming into the trap and at least 1 pregnant sow that would not come in but hung around. I thought I'd set the trap and after the piglets triggered the gate, we'd pop any outside.

The plan worked exactly how I hoped. 4 piglets triggered it and we're clueless as to what happened. Dad and I stood at the corner about 75 yards away. The gate came down and I told Dad to take the sow.

One shot from a 30-06 dropped her. The piglets were startled but didn't move. Dad says, "now what?" I yelled " shoot the piglets! Shoot the piglets!"

They bolted the gate as Dad shot 1. Two busted through and made a run for it. Dad shot at them but missed. I ran down the fence line following #4. She hit the fence and bounced back. She did this 4 or 5 times while I tried to shoot her. Then she ran back towards Dad and he got her.

Good news - pregnant sow dead. 2 future factories dead. Bad news - my gate doesn't work.

I'll be closing it up for the spring food plot soon. Until next year ....
          Attached Files

Comment

In

Comment

Well, that's a few less ya have to worry about "breaking in" once ya get the plot sown.

Congrats on the bacon too!

Comment

I like your chances

Comment

Why doesn’t your gate work? Did they manage to lift it up?

This has been a great thread. That hot wire sure kept that big dude in the pen, great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    Why doesn’t your gate work? Did they manage to lift it up?

This has been a great thread. That hot wire sure kept that big dude in the pen, great idea.
                    They hit the cattle panel so hard they pushed it out of the PVC. That picture shows the small pig hitting the panel and forcing it out.

I'm pretty sure if we had not pressured them they would have stayed in all night, but the first round would have sent them in a panic. I learned a lot and we are already working on a better gate. I might drive another pipe or unistrut on both ends and cap a 16' cattle panel with 2 2x4's on each end so the 2 bys side on the outside of the 2 unistruts.

Best part about this PVC gate was that is was amazingly quiet. And, I did trap pigs that we couldn't trap anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
                      But they were using a Ford to test it, no wonder it held up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X